The Misallata Municipal Council announced the outbreak of fires in a number of citizens’ houses in the Al-Fawatir area, as well as at a mosque and a Qur’an memorization school, resulting in material damage. According to the municipal council, the fires have recently occurred repeatedly without the causes being identified, amid local calls for urgent steps to uncover the reasons behind the incidents and to ensure the safety of citizens. On Thursday, firefighting and rescue teams from the Tripoli Safety Authority arrived in Misallata as part of efforts to reinforce containment measures and protect lives and property, the council said. It is worth noting that the municipality of Al-Asabaa witnessed similar fires in several citizens’ houses last year, in 2025, without the causes being determined as well, despite government efforts and the arrival of expert teams to the municipality at the time.
Source:Libya Observer
February 07, 2026 18:29 UTC
Libyan authorities say they have deported 26 Egyptian nationals and 110 Bangladeshi nationals as part of ongoing efforts to tackle irregular migration. The Anti-Illegal Migration Agency said 26 Egyptians were deported through the Emsaad land border crossing, while 110 Bangladeshi migrants were transferred from the coastal city of Derna to Benghazi ahead of their return to their home country. Officials said those deported had been detained while attempting to migrate irregularly, adding that the measures form part of broader efforts to enhance public security.
Source:Libya Observer
February 07, 2026 15:09 UTC
Authorities investigating killing of Saif al-Islam Gaddafi, once seen as de-facto PM under father’s iron-fisted rule. Thousands of people have attended the funeral of Saif al-Islam Gaddafi, the late Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi’s most prominent son, who was shot dead this week. Saif al-Islam Gaddafi was killed on Tuesday in his home in the northwestern city of Zintan. Divided countrySaif al-Islam Gaddafi was once described as the de facto prime minister under his father’s iron-fisted 40-year rule, cultivating an image of moderation and reform despite holding no official position. Today, Libya remains split between Prime Minister Abdul Hamid Dbeibah’s UN-backed government based in Tripoli and an eastern administration backed by Khalifa Haftar.
Source:Libya Today
February 06, 2026 23:37 UTC
Libyans gather for the funeral of Saif al-Islam Gaddafi in Bani Walid on February 6, 2026. Thousands turned out on Friday for the burial of the slain son of former Libyan ruler Muammar Gaddafi in a town that still holds allegiance to the late longtime leader. Saif al-Islam Gaddafi, once seen by some as Libya's heir apparent, was shot dead in his home in the northwestern city of Zintan on Tuesday. His interior ministry had announced that it would "ensure the security of the funeral" in the town of some 100,000 people. Saadi Gaddafi, Saif al-Islam's younger brother, said his dead sibling would be buried "next to his brother Khamis Gaddafi", who was killed during the 2011 unrest.
Source:Libya Today
February 06, 2026 22:13 UTC
WASHINGTON (AP) — A man described as a key participant in the deadly 2012 attack on the US compound in Benghazi, Libya, has been taken into custody and will be prosecuted in connection with a rampage that killed four Americans and became a divisive political issue, the Justice Department said Friday. A final report by a Republican-led congressional panel faulted the Obama administration for security deficiencies at the Libyan outpost and a slow response to the attack. The fire led to the deaths of Stevens, the ambassador, and State Department employee Sean Smith. Other State Department personnel escaped to a nearby US facility known as the annex. That attack, including a precision mortar barrage, resulted in the deaths of security officers Tyrone Woods and Glen Doherty.
Source:Libya Today
February 06, 2026 21:42 UTC
WASHINGTON (AP) — A “key participant” in the 2012 attack on a U.S. compound in Benghazi, Libya, that killed four Americans is in custody, Attorney General Pam Bondi said Friday.. Clinton dismissed the report as an echo of previous probes with no new discoveries, saying it was “time to move on.” Other Democrats denounced the Republicans’ report as “a conspiracy theory on steroids. The fire led to the deaths of Stevens and State Department employee Sean Smith. That attack, including a precision mortar barrage, resulted in the deaths of security officers Tyrone Woods and Glen Doherty. His attorneys argued that the evidence was inconclusive and that he was singled out because of his ultra-conservative Muslim beliefs.
Source:Libya Today
February 06, 2026 21:07 UTC
Saif al-Islam Qaddafi, son of former dictator Muamar Qaddafi, was buried in Bani Walid today next to his brother. Thousands attended his funeral as supporters of the former Qaddafi regime (1969 – 2011) displayed Qaddafi’s old green flag. Emotions have been heightened by the assassination of Saif as his and his father’s regime supporters threatened to politicise the funeral and turn Saif into a martyr. Starting in 1977, 7 April became an annual day for public executions of student activists and military officers who opposed the regime. Libyans thought he could convince his father to stand down in his favour allowing for a more liberal regime.
Source:Libya Today
February 06, 2026 20:50 UTC
United States Attorney General Pam Bondi has said a “key participant” in the 2012 attack on the US embassy in Benghazi, Libya, has been arrested. Bondi said Zubayr al-Bakoush had been extradited to the US and will face murder, arson and “terrorism”-related charges. Charged with two killingsThe details of al-Bakoush’s alleged involvement in the September 11, 2012 attack were not immediately clear. US prosecutors said Abu Khatallah led an armed group in Libya and ordered the attack. Stevens had travelled to Benghazi, the second largest city in Libya, to speak with armed groups opposed to the government.
Source:Libya Today
February 06, 2026 20:07 UTC
FILE - Glass, debris and overturned furniture are strewn inside a room in the gutted U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya, after an attack that killed four Americans, including Ambassador Chris Stevens., Sept. 12, 2012. (AP Photo/Ibrahim Alaguri, File)WASHINGTON – An alleged participant in the deadly 2012 attack on the U.S. compound in Benghazi, Libya, has been taken into custody to face prosecution for the rampage that killed four Americans and emerged as a divisive political issue, the Justice Department said Friday. Al-Bakoush, 58, appeared Friday afternoon in federal court in Washington, wearing a gray hoodie and using a wheelchair. The fire led to the deaths of Stevens, the ambassador, and State Department employee Sean Smith. Other State Department personnel escaped to a nearby U.S. facility known as the annex.
Source:Libya Today
February 06, 2026 20:01 UTC
You have permission to edit this article.
Source:Libya Today
February 06, 2026 19:58 UTC
Seif al-Islam Gaddafi, once seen by some as Libya's heir apparent, was shot dead in his home in the northwestern city of Zintan on Tuesday. In 2021, Seif al-Islam announced he would run for president, but the elections aiming to unify the country under a UN agreement were indefinitely postponed. Marcel Ceccaldi, a French lawyer who had been representing Seif al-Islam, told AFP he was killed by "four-man commando". Saadi Gaddafi, Seif al-Islam's younger brother, said his dead sibling would be buried "next to his brother Khamis Gaddafi", who was killed during the 2011 unrest. Under his father's iron-fisted 40-year rule, Seif al-Islam was described as the de facto prime minister, cultivating an image of moderation and reform despite holding no official position.
Source:Libya Today
February 06, 2026 19:05 UTC
A man accused in the 2012 attack on a U.S. diplomatic mission in the Libyan city of Benghazi that killed four Americans appeared before a U.S. judge on Friday to face criminal charges. “They will not be unjust.”The 2012 attack on the U.S. compound in Benghazi became an instantly divisive political issue. He is the third person U.S. authorities have arrested in connection with the Benghazi attack. House Republicans launched six investigations of the Obama administration’s handling of the Benghazi attack and aggressively questioned Clinton for hours. Democrats accused Republicans of using the inquiry to hurt Clinton’s chances at the presidency.
Source:Libya Today
February 06, 2026 18:30 UTC
Attorney General Pam Bondi says a key participant in the 2012 attack on a U.S. compound in Benghazi, Libya, that killed four Americans is in custody. Bondi says the man landed Friday morning a… Read MoreKey participant in 2012 Benghazi, Libya, attack that killed 4 Americans is in custody, Bondi says
Source:Libya Today
February 06, 2026 16:24 UTC
Winchester, VA (22601)TodayCloudy early then partly cloudy and windy after midnight. A few flurries or snow showers possible. WNW winds at 10 to 15 mph, increasing to 20 to 30 mph..TonightCloudy early then partly cloudy and windy after midnight. A few flurries or snow showers possible. WNW winds at 10 to 15 mph, increasing to 20 to 30 mph.
Source:Libya Today
February 06, 2026 15:15 UTC
Add AP News on Google Add AP News as your preferred source to see more of our stories on Google. ShareBANI WALID, Libya (AP) — Thousands converged in northwestern Libya for the funeral Friday of Seif al-Islam Gadhafi, the son and one-time heir apparent of Libya’s late leader Moammar Gadhafi, who was killed earlier this week when four masked assailants stormed into his home and fatally shot him. Gadhafi was killed later that year in his hometown of Sirte as fighting in Libya escalated into a full-blown civil war. Seif al-Islam was captured by fighters in Zintan late in 2011 while trying to flee to neighboring Niger. Go to the gas station — there’s no diesel,″ Seif al-Islam told the Times.
Source:Libya Today
February 06, 2026 14:59 UTC