Add AP News on Google Add AP News as your preferred source to see more of our stories on Google. ShareCAIRO (AP) — Two babies are among at least 53 people dead or missing after an inflatable migrant boat sank off Libya, the U.N. migration agency said on Monday, the latest tragedy on a dangerous route for those seeking a better life in Europe. The number of migrants reported dead or missing in 2026 on the central Mediterranean route now stand at 484, according to the IOM’s missing migrants project. Last year saw more than 1,300 migrants dead or missing on that route, it said. The abuse often accompanies efforts to extort money from families of those held, before the migrants are allowed to leave Libya on traffickers’ boats.
Source:Libya Today
February 09, 2026 11:18 UTC
At least 53 migrants, including two babies, are dead or missing after a rubber boat capsized off the coast of Libya, the UN said on Monday. The survivors said the boat, carrying migrants and refugees from African countries, departed from Al Zawiya, in Libya, at about 11pm on February 5. In January, at least 375 migrants were reported dead or missing following shipwrecks in the Central Mediterranean amid extreme weather, IOM data shows. The latest incident brings the number of migrants reported dead or missing in the area this year to at least 484. In November, 42 people went missing and are presumed dead after a rubber boat carrying 49 migrants and refugees capsized off Libya, the UN said.
Source:Libya Today
February 09, 2026 11:15 UTC
File photo of migrantsAFPGeneva: The UN migration agency on Monday said 53 people were dead or missing after a boat capsized in the Mediterranean Sea off the Libyan coast. The International Organization for Migration said the boat overturned north of Zuwara on Friday. "According to survivor accounts, the boat -- carrying migrants and refugees of African nationalities departed from Al-Zawiya, Libya, at around 11:00 pm on February 5. "IOM mourns the loss of life in yet another deadly incident along the Central Mediterranean route." It called for stronger international cooperation to tackle the networks, alongside safe and regular migration pathways to reduce risks and save lives.
Source:Libya Today
February 09, 2026 10:52 UTC
TRIPOLI Feb 9 (Reuters) - Fifty-three migrants, including two babies, were dead or missing after a rubber boat carrying 55 people capsized off the coast of Libya, the International Organization for Migration said on Monday. The boat departed from Zawiya on Thursday and then overturned off Zuwara on Friday, the IOM said in a statement, citing the survivors. In January alone, at least 375 migrants were reported dead or missing in the area following multiple "invisible" shipwreck amid extreme weather, with hundreds more deaths believed to have gone unrecorded. "The latest incident brings the number of migrants reported dead or missing on the route in 2026 to at least 484," the agency said. (Reporting by Alvise Armellini and Ahmed Elumami, Writing by Ahmed Elimam and Ahmed Elumami; Editing by Alex Richardson and Anil D'Silva)
Source:Libya Today
February 09, 2026 09:58 UTC
The Turkish Cooperation and Coordination Agency (TIKA) completed the renovation project in six months, reviving a key cultural landmark. This project underscores Türkiye's active role in cultural preservation abroad, particularly in regions with shared historical ties. TIKA's role in cultural restorationAli Suha Bacanakgil, TIKA's Tripoli coordinator, explained the building's historical significance and its state before the intervention. TIKA's work in Libya is part of Türkiye's broader strategy of fostering international partnerships through development and cultural projects. By investing in the restoration of shared historical assets, Türkiye reinforces a narrative of enduring connection and constructive partnership in the post-Ottoman space.
Source:Libya Today
February 09, 2026 09:28 UTC
Children perform on stage at the Libya National Children’s Theater during its reopening ceremony in Tripoli, Libya, Feb. 8, 2026. (AA Photo)After years of dust and closure, the stage lights are back on in Tripoli. Its new identity as the Libya National Children's Theater marks the end of a lengthy period in which the site had been shut down and left out of service. Guests attend the reopening ceremony of the restored Ottoman-era theater in Tripoli, Libya, Feb. 8, 2026. A Libyan child performs on stage during the reopening ceremony of a restored Ottoman-era theater in Tripoli, Libya, Feb. 8, 2026.
Source:Libya Today
February 09, 2026 07:46 UTC
Benghazi – Benghazi witnessed an exceptional spiritual and humanitarian event. The Friends of People of Determination Association organized a competition. Mohamed Said Al-Warfali, head of the Friends of People of Determination Association, told the Libyan News Agency. He noted the mastery of recitation witnessed today. These strengthen the role of people of determination in society.
Source:Libya Today
February 09, 2026 03:37 UTC
Migrants rescued south of Crete walk after their arrival at the port of Lavrio, on Thursday. [Petros Giannakouris/AP]Authorities on Crete said Sunday that another 27 migrants have reached the island’s southern shores after making the long and dangerous journey from north Africa. The Coast Guard said one of the migrants required hospitalization for an unspecified condition. The Coast Guard said the vessel had departed Libya late on Tuesday. On Friday, a group of 43 migrants, mostly minors, was rescued from a small boat south of Crete.
Source:Libya Today
February 09, 2026 00:10 UTC
This resolution approves the minutes of the Municipal Council meeting for Suluq Municipality. It concerned the election of the mayor and members of the Municipal Council. Article One of the resolution approved the results of the Suluq Municipal Council meeting. Suleiman Yusuf Al-Jarm Yusuf. It aims to enhance the legal legitimacy of elected municipal councils.
Source:Libya Today
February 08, 2026 23:42 UTC
Damning footage not seen outside a courtroom puts alleged killer and conspirator Zubayar Al-Bakoush at the scene of the crime at the US embassy compound in Benghazi, Libya the day militants attacked the facility and killed four Americans. US Ambassador Chris Stevens, US security contractors Tyrone Woods, Glen Doherty, and IT officer Sean Smith were killed in the attacks. “The government’s witness at trial had known Bakoush since he was a teenager when they were in Scouts together,” he noted. He was a commander and acted as the “tip of the spear” for the Benghazi attacks, the government said in related cases. 4 Bakoush did not enter a plea at his preliminary hearing in Washington on Friday.
Source:Libya Today
February 08, 2026 15:04 UTC
(AA Photo)Türkiye is accelerating energy exploration activities following agreements with Libya, Pakistan, Somalia, Egypt and Saudi Arabia. The Oruc Reis seismic research vessel conducted surveys in Somali territorial waters last year, collecting 3D seismic data across three separate maritime blocks covering 4,465 square kilometers. Türkiye is preparing to launch seismic surveys in Pakistan in the coming days using either the Oruc Reis or Barbaros Hayreddin Pasa seismic research vessels. Türkiye has also expanded global partnerships in energy exploration, signing agreements with Exxon and subsequently Chevron. The drilling and seismic research vessel fleet has been enlarged accordingly.
Source:Libya Today
February 08, 2026 14:28 UTC
Algerian President Abdelmadjid Tebboune said Saturday that “anything that affects Libya affects Algeria,” stressing the need to allow Libyans to freely determine their country’s future and choose their representatives without external interference. Tebboune told Algerian press on Saturday that his country continues to work to preserve stability in Libya, noting that Algeria, Tunisia and Egypt are among the parties that best understand the Libyan situation and the needs of its people. He highlighted the role of the trilateral neighbouring countries mechanism — Algeria, Egypt and Tunisia — as well as the regular meetings of their foreign ministers on developments in Libya, describing them as important in supporting the political process. The Algerian president also emphasized the importance of holding parliamentary elections as a key step in enabling Libyans to choose their representatives, in line with United Nations calls.
Source:Libya Observer
February 08, 2026 13:33 UTC
A former Libyan official has rejected US accusations against Zubair al-Bakoush, a Libyan national transferred to the United States over alleged links to the 2012 Benghazi attack, describing the claims as unfounded and politically motivated. According to al-Gharyani, al-Bakoush was arrested again roughly three months ago by Libya’s Internal Security Agency in Tripoli and released a month later. Al-Gharyani alleged that the latest arrest was aimed at diverting attention within the United States from the Epstein Island case, claiming al-Bakoush was being used as a “scapegoat”. He further suggested that pursuing charges linked to the Benghazi attack was intended to distract from allegations currently facing former US President Donald Trump. US authorities have said al-Bakoush was arrested in connection with the Benghazi attack and transferred to the United States, where he is expected to face charges including murder, arson and terrorism-related offences.
Source:Libya Observer
February 08, 2026 12:53 UTC
The Libyan Red Crescent Society announced on Thursday the successful rescue of 45 illegal migrants of various nationalities, including women and children, who were aboard a vessel in the Mediterranean Sea off the coast of Tobruk. The Libyan Red Crescent Society explained on its Facebook page that the rescue operation took place after the coast guard in Tobruk received a report about the vessel carrying the migrants. The Society confirmed that its Tobruk branch immediately began providing necessary first aid and psychological support to the rescued migrants, as part of its humanitarian mission.
Source:Libya Observer
February 08, 2026 03:44 UTC
Ghat – Mayor Ahmed Al-Souqi confirmed the receipt of a replacement electrical transformer. He noted the distance between Sabha and Ghat is about 600 kilometers. Al-Souqi stressed the importance of Ministry of Electricity support for Ghat’s distribution department. Al-Souqi affirmed the new transformer’s installation will restore normal electricity. It will also enhance the stability of Ghat municipality’s electrical network.
Source:Libya Today
February 07, 2026 22:08 UTC