Egyptian Interior Ministry sterilizes prisons to avoid COVID-19

FILE - A man sprays disinfectant inside one of the 15 branches of Super Rich Currency Exchange Co in Bangkok - ReutersCAIRO – 2 April 2020: The Ministry of Interior on Thursday said preventive medicine teams have continued to sterilize all prison facilities, as part of the precautionary measures taken by the ministry over the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).This comes as Egypt has so far recorded 779 coronavirus cases. However, no cases have been reported inside Egyptian prisons.In a statement, the ministry said the sterilization process included external gates, interior corridors, visit spots, kitchens, libraries, literacy classrooms, hospitals and clinics and jails.“These precautionary and preventive measures implemented by the Ministry of Interior inside prisons are part of the integrated plan followed to ensure the safety of inmates and the workers,” the ministry said.The Interior Ministry in March has suspended prison visits nationwide. The move is part of the state's precautionary measures to contain the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, a security official said.The decision comes within the framework of the Cabinet's directives to halt all activities and events with large gatherings over coronavirus fears, the official noted.The Egyptian Health Ministry on Wednesday said the total number of coronavirus cases in the African country has increased to 779, after 69 new cases were confirmed, all of them Egyptians.The death toll also increased to 52 by Wednesday, after 6 new deaths were reported, including a Jordanian citizen and five Egyptians, the Ministry said in a statement.Twenty-two patients recovered and were released from the quarantine hospital, one of them is a Malaysian national, to have the number of the recovered rising to 179, according to the Ministry’s spokesperson Khaled Megahed.Megahed said the number of cases that turned negative for COVID-19 rose to 221, including the 179 recovered.

Source:Egypt Today

April 01, 2020 19:52 UTC


Family of 1st Egyptian doctor dies of COVID-19 tests positive

FILE- Egyptian doctor who died of COVID-19 Ahmed al-LawahFILE- Photo of Egyptian doctor who died of COVID-19 Ahmed al-Lawah, early in his life with wife and daughterCAIRO – 1 April 2020: "Family of Egypt’s first doctor to die of coronavirus (COVID-19) Ahmed al-Lawah was reported to test positive for the virus," wife Amal Arafa said Wednesday.She added in statements to Youm7 Egyptian newspaper that she was quarantined in a hospital in Ismaelia governorate along with her daughter, who tested positive as well. "Our son aged 13 years old is waiting for the test results," Arfa said.On March 30, Egypt’s Ministry of Health announced that a doctor called Ahmed al-Lawah died of coronavirus (COVID-19).Lawah, 57 years old, is the first Egyptian doctor who dies of COVID-19 infection, according to the ministry. Spokesperson Khaled Megahed said in statement that Lawah’s health condition was relatively stable; however, he witnessed sudden deterioration on Sunday.On March 28, the Egyptian Veterinarian Syndicate announced that veterinarian Mohamed Negm passed away in Saudi Arabia because of COVID-19 after he had entered the intensive care unit.The Egyptian Veterinarian Syndicate said that Negm had graduated from Zagazig University in 2012. Negm was the third Egyptian expat to die of COVID-19 abroad as two men passed away in Italy earlier this month.Also, on March 25, head of the Egyptian Nursing Syndicate said that nineteen nurses from different hospitals in Egypt contracted the novel coronavirus. "The hospitals include the Imbaba Fevers Hospital in Giza," Kawthar Mahmoud said in an interview with Al-Tase’a on the state-run Al-Oula TV (Channel 1).On Tuesday, Egypt recorded 54 new positive cases for COVID-19 virus, bringing the number of the infected to 710, 157 of them recovered, and 46 died.

Source:Egypt Today

April 01, 2020 19:07 UTC


In Pics: Museum of Fine Arts resumes online exhibition

Part of the exhibited artwork - ETPart of the exhibited paintings - ETMuseum of Fine Arts displays belongings of French sculptor Dalou CAIRO - 30 March 2020: The Fine Arts Museum called on citizens to stay at home, commenting: "Stay at home and we will bring you the museum" on the museum's official Facebook page. This comes in an attempt to combat the coronavirus pandemic. CAIRO - 1 April 2020: The Museum of Fine Arts in Alexandria resumed its online activities as part of the initiative “Stay home, we’ll bring the museum to you” for the second week in a row.The e-initiative is an interactive step for art enthusiasts, where the museum's paintings are exhibited on the museum’s official Facebook page. This initiative comes to support the state’s plan to confront the COVID-19 pandemic.The museum started to display a selection of its most important holdings in the "Online Museum", which are oil paintings of the Adham Brothers and Saif Wanli.A comprehensive exhibition of the work of Adham Wanli was held in the museum on March 30, 1961 after his demise in 1959. Khedive Ismail commissioned him to make a statue of his grandfather Mohammad Ali Pasha; the statue was completed in 1872.The statue was displayed for a month on the Champs-Elysées in Paris, and then moved to Alexandria to be installed on a base designed by the famous architect Ambroise Bodry, at an official ceremony on December 19, 1872.

Source:Egypt Today

April 01, 2020 15:11 UTC


Egyptian doctor dies in United States due to COVID-19

The deceased doctor Ashraf Abdo and his wifeCAIRO - 1 April 2020: Russia Today website stated on Wednesday that the American medical authorities announced the death of an Egyptian doctor residing in the United States, as a result of the new Coronavirus (COVID19), a week after he was diagnosed.The Egyptian resident, Mohamed al-Alam, revealed that the deceased doctor Ashraf Abdo, who worked as a general practitioner in a New York hospital died at the age of 60, and lived in the United States for 20 years.In the same context, the Health Ministry announced on March 30 that a doctor called Ahmed al-Lawah died of coronavirus (COVID-19).Lawah, 57 years old, is considered the first Egyptian doctor who dies of COVID-19 infection, according to the ministry. Spokesperson Khaled Megahed said in a statement that Lawah’s health condition was relatively stable; however, he witnessed sudden deterioration on Sunday.On March 28, the Egyptian Veterinarian Syndicate announced that veterinarian Mohamed Negm passed away in Saudi Arabia because of COVID-19 after he had entered the intensive care unit (ICU).The Egyptian Veterinarian Syndicate explained Negm had graduated from Zagazig University in 2012. Negm was the third Egyptian expat to die of COVID-19 as two men passed away in Italy earlier this month.Also, on March 25, head of the Egyptian Nursing Syndicate said that nineteen nurses from different hospitals in Egypt contracted the novel coronavirus (Covid-19).It should be noted that Egypt recorded on April 1, some 54 new positive cases for COVID-19, bringingthe number of the infected to 710, 157 of them recovered, and 46 died.

Source:Egypt Today

April 01, 2020 14:48 UTC


EgyptAir operates exceptional flight to New York to bring stranded Egyptians back

EgyptAir aircraft - ReutersCAIRO - 1 April 2020: EgyptAir's exceptional flight No. 981 left for New York on Wednesday to return the stranded Egyptians after flights to and from Egypt were suspended on March 19.The decision to operate these exceptional flights came as part of the Egyptian government's plan to evacuate Egyptians abroad after flights were suspended due to coronavirus.In an interview with Ahmed Moussa on Sada Al-Balad, a private TV channel, Minister of Immigration Nabila Makram noted on March 31, that many Egyptians residing abroad are willing to return, but the authorities prioritize those who left the country via visitor visas.Egyptian expats wishing to return to Egypt amid the coronavirus (COVID-19) epidemic will be quarantined for 28 days as a precautionary procedure to prevent the virus outbreak. Egypt’s Civil Aviation Ministry announced that this procedure will be implemented starting Tuesday March 31.EgyptAir concluded on March 31, its exceptional flights to evacuate 1,500 Egyptians stranded in Kuwait. The fifth exceptional flight to bring back Egyptian nationals stranded left the Gulf country on March 30, carrying 350 Egyptians, Kuwaiti state news agency KUNA reported.The 350 passengers included 14 people expelled for violating the residence law.The fourth flight was operated on March 29, with 303 Egyptian residents on board, bringing the number of Egyptian nationals who departed Kuwait in the recent evacuation flights to 1293 people.The flights were operated in coordination between the Kuwaiti authorities, the Egyptian Embassy in Kuwait and the Egyptian flag carrier EgyptAir.

Source:Egypt Today

April 01, 2020 14:37 UTC


Tags
Finance      African Press Release      Lifestyle       Hiring       Health-care       Online test prep Corona
  

Loading...