Revart Film Festival reveals official selection

File - Revart Film Festival. CAIRO - 8 May 2020: Revart Film Festival revealed the complete line-up of films selected for its first edition (May 4-6).The selection includes 10 shot-at-home films:Anxiety Attack by director Anas Awad, Two Weeks by director Amin Esmail, Dakhal El Haramy by director Farah Noweir, The Call by directors Mina Maher and Mina Nader, Void by director Reem Ossama, Today's Society by director Farida Mabrouk, Nice to Meet You by director Marianne Magdy, Mid-Night by director Ebram Gergis, The Box by director Ahmed Al-Ramad and Limbo by director Ahmed Samir.The film screenings started on Tuesday, May 5, at 12:00 PM on the festival's official IGTV and Facebook page, and shall be available only for 48 hours.The festival’s Audience Award will be granted to the film that receives the most reactions Instgram and Facebook combined during the 48 hours screening of the films. The results will be announced on May 7.Marking the first online vertical film festival in Egypt, RFF-Revart Film Festival's first edition aims to introduce the modern dimension of creativity of the Arab storytelling talent through films that all they need to create is to rotate mobile screen 90 degrees.The festival was scheduled to launch earlier this year in a public ceremony with the presence of the festival jury, however it was postponed in the light of the protective measures against the spread of COVID-19 pandemic.Recently, it was decided that the festival shall take place to promote creativity at the times of self-quarantine.

Source:Egypt Today

May 08, 2020 14:37 UTC


Egypt evacuates 166 stranded nationals from Oman

FILE - EgyptAir jet - Official websiteEgypt starts air bridge to bring home expats stranded abroad CAIRO - 20 April 2020: Egypt will launch on Tuesday an air bridge to bring back the Egyptian nationals who are stranded abroad due to the outbreak of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), officials at the Cairo International Airport said on Monday. CAIRO – 8 May 2020: An exceptional flight landed in Egypt’s Marsa Alam International Airport on Thursday night, with 166 stranded Egyptians on board, coming from the Omani capital, Muscat, as Egyptian authorities vowed to repatriate stranded nationals amid the coronavirus crisis.A source at the airport said the preventive medicine teams have carried out the sterilization process required.The airport, in the southeast of Egypt, received on Wednesday a plane coming from Juba carrying 35 Egyptian nationals who were stranded by the novel virus, state’s news agency MENA reported.Quarantine teams of the Red Sea Health Directorate received the passengers to conduct medical check-ups before taking them to their residence in a Marsa Alam hotel where they will spend 14 days in quarantine.Since the coronavirus crisis started, EgyptAir, the Egyptian flag carrier, has operated many exceptional flights to several countries, including the US, UK, Maldives, Kuwait, South Sudan and Kenya, to bring back stranded Egyptians abroad.On April 22nd, Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi noted that around 3,500 Egyptians are stranded abroad over coronavirus, affirming that authorities are committed to bringing them back despite "hard circumstances".This comes while 393 people in Egypt tested positive for the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) recently, making the highest daily counts in Egypt so far, and 13 people died with the novel virus, the Health Ministry said on Thursday.This brings the total number of reported cases and deaths to 7,981 and 482 respectively, the ministry said.The test results of 2,378 people of the reported cases turned from positive to negative, including 1,887 people who fully recovered.Also, 72 cases, all of them Egyptians, left hospital after they recovered, according to the instructions of the World Health Organization (WHO).The ministry revealed that the total number of positive patients at the quarantine hospitals is 1,890, including 211 unstable cases and 41 critical cases.

Source:Egypt Today

May 08, 2020 13:41 UTC


In pics: Egypt's Min. of Tourism & Antiquities starts renovating ram-headed sphinxes in Luxor

File - A group of ram-headed sphinxes at Amun-Ra Temple at Karnak Temple Complex in Luxor. CAIRO - 8 May 2020: The Supreme Council of Antiquities started on Friday, May 8 renovating a group of ram-headed sphinxes at Amun-Ra Temple at Karnak Temple Complex in Luxor.The secretary general of the Supreme council of Antiquities Mostafa Waziri announcedc that the project includes rejuvenating 29 statues, which were in bad condition.Waziri further added that those statues were wrongly renovated earlier at the beginning of the 70s.The restoration project will place these statues on high adjacent stone bases. Also, the floor of these bases will be treated, protected from groundwater and returned to its original place.It is worth mentioning that Egypt's Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities previously announced that the four of the ram-headed sphinxes have been transported to Tahrir Square in central Cairo, after the completion of its restoration, lasted over the past few months.Waziri, said that two of the ram-headed sphinxes have been installed on its bases located beside the recently restored and erected obelisk in Tahrir Square as part of its development project while the two other ram-headed sphinxes will be erected in their location within the up coming hours.He added that the four ram-headed sphinxes will be covered with wooden boxes until the official opening of the Tahrir square development project, funded by the Ministry of Housing, Utilities, and Urban Communities, in coordination with Cairo Governorate, and the Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities within the framework of the plan to showcase Egypt’s unique civilization.The transportation was carried out by the Arab contractors company under the supervision of a team of restorers and archaeologists from the Supreme Council of Antiquities.

Source:Egypt Today

May 08, 2020 12:22 UTC


Egyptian state works on avoiding increase in coronavirus cases: presidential advisor

FILE - A woman wears a protective face mask, following the outbreak of the new coronavirus, in Kuwait, February 25, 2020 - Reuters/Stephanie McGeheeEgypt's PM: Measures against coronavirus to continue for extra 15 days CAIRO - 7 May 2020: Egypt's Prime Minister Mustafa Madbouli on Thursday said the preventive measures taken to face the coronavirus crisis during the first half of the Islamic holy month of Ramadan will continue for the rest of the month. CAIRO – 8 May 2020: The number of coronavirus cases in Egypt is high but does not constitute a high risk as the curve grows “horizontally,” said Mohamed Tag El-Deen, the president’s advisor to the health affairs, meaning that the number increases gradually.In an interview with Tamer Ameen on Al-Nahar channel, he affirmed that the state is taking all procedures to prevent the daily number of cases from increasing.However, he said Egypt is still facing a critical period due to the growing number of cases.Separately, in an interview with Sherif Amer on MBC Masr, Tag El-Deen said that citizens can still coexist with the novel virus and that normal life and production can be restored as long as people are following the preventive measures, otherwise, the state may have to take tougher measures.He expected that the number of cases will also increase during the coming period, but will remain under control as long as it is increasing horizontally.Concerning vaccine, he said it is not expected that a vaccine will be developed before September. He also noted that the plasma treatment can help patients to recover.This comes while 393 people in Egypt tested positive for the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) recently, making the highest daily counts in Egypt so far, and 13 people died with the novel virus, the Health Ministry said on Thursday.This brings the total number of reported cases and deaths to 7,981 and 482 respectively, the ministry said.The test results of 2,378 people of the reported cases turned from positive to negative, including 1,887 people who fully recovered.Also, 72 cases, all of them Egyptians, left hospital after they recovered, according to the instructions of the World Health Organization (WHO).The ministry revealed that the total number of positive patients at the quarantine hospitals is 1,890, including 211 unstable cases and 41 critical cases.Plasma treatmentThe Egyptian Health Ministry will start injecting plasma of patients who have recovered from the deadly coronavirus (COVID-19) into severely ill patients with the novel virus, the ministry quoted Minister Hala Zayed as saying late in April.Plasma from recovered cases have the antibodies required to battle the virus inside other patients and curb its replication.Zayed said that Egypt has the required experience in the convalescent plasma therapy and that the ministry is working hard through scientific research to find treatment for coronavirus patients.Plasma were extracted from six people who have recovered from coronavirus, the ministry’s statement revealed, and tests indicated that three of them were good to use.Plasma was already injected into one patient, the ministry said, adding that other patients will also undergo the same treatment, in accordance with the research protocol in this regard. The results will be continuously announced, said the statement.Once patients respond to treatment, convalescent plasma therapy will be widely applied, through inviting recovered people to donate plasma, in order to help save patients who are in critical condition, the ministry added.

Source:Egypt Today

May 08, 2020 12:22 UTC


Egypt, US discuss bilateral defense cooperation

Defense Secretary Mark T. Esper delivers remarks before ringing the closing Nasdaq bell for Veterans Day, New York, New York, Nov. 11, 2019. (DoD photo by Lisa Ferdinando)- CC via Flickr/U.S. This commitment symbolizes the enduring strength of the U.S.-Egypt relationship,” the statement read.According to a statement from the U.S. Department of Defense (Pentagon), both officials tackled the bilateral defense cooperation, and Egypt’s participation in the U.S. National Guard’s’ State Partnership Program.The United States Secretary of Defense congratulated Egypt for joining the program, the statement added.In addition to this, they tackled both countries’ efforts in combating the outbreak of the new coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Esper expressed his regret for postponing his planned travel to Egypt due to the COVID-19.The Secretary also conveyed his appreciation for Egypt’s recent donation of Personal Protective Equipment [PPE] and other medical supplies to the United States.On April 21, 2020, President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi instructed to send medical aid to the United States to confront the Coronavirus pandemic. Egyptian military jets carried medical equipment, anesthesia drugs, and antibiotics as well as body bags, masks, and testing swabs.The German S-43 submarine joined the Egyptian Navy in Alexandria on May 6; it is considered one of the most recent submarines around the world.

Source:Egypt Today

May 07, 2020 18:34 UTC


Enjoy the virtual tour for Al-Fath Royal Mosque in Abdeen

Part of the virtual tour made in cooperation with the Ministry of Tourism & Antiquities and NAV3D company - Screenshot from tourCAIRO - 7 May 2020: Enjoy the virtual tour for one of the most notable architectural projects dating to the nineteenth century, Al-Fath Royal Mosque in Abdeen (1041 AH/1631 AD).To enjoy the tour, please use the URL below:https://mpembed.com/show/?m=qhjXLPRDvRw&mpu=497Founder: Prince and Major-General Abdeen BekRegistration: Ministerial decree No. 10357 of 1951 ADGeneral planning: It was built in the Ottoman style and resembles the palace of Muhammad Ali in its design. The main façade opens onto Gami’ Abdeen Street.The street leads to a dogleg entrance which in turn grants access to the mosque.The mosque is composed of a wide square-shaped open space topped by a main dome surrounded by four half-domes along the four sides of the mosque two meters above the floor.Its marble panelling is painted, and it features a marble minbar (pulpit), which is oriented north-east, decorated with golden floral designs, near the mihrab (the niche marking the direction of prayer).The mosque also features a wooden seat for the Quran reciter, inlaid with ivory and pearl. Eight marble columns support a wooden dekka (platform) with two handrails and detailed grille designs.‏This virtual Tour is made in cooperation with the Ministry of Tourism & Antiquities and NAV3D company.

Source:Egypt Today

May 07, 2020 15:00 UTC


In Pics: Egypt saves griffon vulture, sends it to Ras Abu Galum Reserve

Egypt’s Ministry of Environment saves a griffon vulture (Gyps fulvus)CAIRO - 5 May 2020: "Egypt’s Ministry of Environment saved a griffon vulture (Gyps fulvus), one of the world's largest raptors and sent it to Ras Abu Galum Reserve in South Sinai," announced the ministry in a statement on Monday evening.The ministry has been informed that a citizen in Dahab city, South Sinai, has the vulture in his house; possessing the vulture violates the Egyptian Environment Law 4/1994 and its 2009 amendments. Officials from the ministry and Dahab police station as well as other concerned bodies headed to the house and confiscated the vulture. "However, the man denied knowing that possessing or trading in wild animals is a crime, saying that he was looking after the bird," the statement added. "The man showed his cooperation with the concerned body to send the eagle to the natural environment," the ministry continued in the statement.The ministry called upon citizens to report attempts of illegal possession of animals or birds via calling the ministry’s hotline 19808 or contacting the WhatsApp number 01222693333. "Egypt has a total of 110 animal species, including 70 species threatened with extinction due to climate change impacts and poaching," Ayman Hamada, director of the Biodiversity Department at the General Directorate of Nature Conservation, told Egypt Today in previous comments.

Source:Egypt Today

May 07, 2020 12:11 UTC


National Women Council issues 2nd edition of women policy tracker over coronavirus

Maya Morsy, President of the National Council for Women - File PhotoCAIRO – 7 May 2020: The National Council for Women announced the issuance of the second edition of the women policy tracker that monitors the policies and measures considerate to the needs of women which were taken by the Egyptian government as part of the efforts to contain the spread of the current COVID-19; where the report included the government's measures which take into account the needs of women throughout this period.Maya Morsy, president of the National Council for Women, confirmed that this report comes as a second edition of the report that was issued by the Council last month with the aim of monitoring all policies and procedures taken by the government that are responsive to the needs of Egyptian women, designing an easier tool that can be used as reference by decision makers for more collaborative vision on means of moving forward, documenting the coordinated efforts of the government and reflecting on those policies with supporting programs.Morsy also indicated that the second edition of the report monitored 32 policies/measures/procedures taken by the government to contain and control the spread of the current COVID-19 throughout the period from April 7 to May 6 that are responsive to Egyptian women needs; adding up to 52 policies/measures/procedures taken by the government since the COVID-19 hit Egypt until May 6, 2020.Egypt, with strong support of its political leadership, has worked since the early beginning to take stringent measures and policies to contain and control the spread of the current COVID-19, according to the rate of its rapid spread, taking into consideration the needs of all possible affected segments, especially women and children.Morsy said that since the National Council for Women is the national machinery concerned with proposing the government public policy on women’s development pursuant to Law No. 30 of 2018, the Council is keen to continue tracking and monitoring all issued policies and programs that mainstream and respond to the needs of women during this crisis.NCW commits to a strong coordination with all concerned ministries and bodies to support the implementation of those policies as well as suggesting new polices in favor of Egyptian women.

Source:Egypt Today

May 07, 2020 12:00 UTC


What you need to know about German S-43 submarine joining Egyptian Navy

The German S-43 submarine joined the Egyptian Navy in Alexandria on May 6 - screen shot from One channelCAIRO - 7 May 2020: The German S-43 submarine joined the Egyptian Navy in Alexandria on May 6, and is considered one of the latest submarines.et presents the most prominent features of this submarine, which joined the Navy as part of Egyptian Army's plan to modernize the armament of the Egyptian Armed Forces and naval arsenal:1- It is considered one of the most powerful types of attack submarines.2- The submarine is equipped with systems that control the launch of torpedoes.3- The submarine can sail 11,000 nautical miles.4- It includes the latest navigation and communication systems.5- The submarine possesses a large package of technical devices and defensive measures.6- The submarine can submerge up to 62 meters under the sea7- The depth of operation of the submarine is 500 meters below the surface of the water.8- It includes eight tubes of 533 mm torpedo and a storage capacity of 14 torpedoes.9- It can launch naval "fugitive" anti-ship missiles.10- The submarine can plant marine mines.In 2011, Egypt signed a contract with Thyssenkrupp Marine Systems to purchase four class 209/1400 mod submarines. The first, S41, was delivered in December 2016. The second, S42, was handed over in August 2017, while the third was delivered in May 2019. The contract will be concluded in 2021 with the delivery of the fourth vessel.The submarine has a length of 62 meters and a diameter of 6.2 meters, and is operated by 30 crew members. Its displacement on surface and submerged is approximately 1,450 tons and 1,600 tons, respectively.

Source:Egypt Today

May 07, 2020 10:18 UTC


Tags
Finance      African Press Release      Lifestyle       Hiring       Health-care       Online test prep Corona       Crypto      Vpn     
  

Loading...