They’re expected back in Washington this week for a meeting of the Board of Peace — Trump’s personal big-dollar private global diplomacy network. Trump’s hopes for a deal with Iran, as he masses a vast armada within shooting distance, only crawled forward Tuesday. “The Board of Peace will prove to be the most consequential International Body in History,” he said on social media. The president knows this,” former US Middle East peace negotiator Aaron David Miller told CNN’s Richard Quest last week. Mandel Ngan/AFP/Getty ImagesTrump’s impatience also means Witkoff and Kushner are under the kind of pressure that can lead to superficiality.
Source:Egypt Independent
February 18, 2026 14:26 UTC
But demand is not limited to popular tourist destinations. While Europe remains the most visited region in the world with nearly 800 million visitors, the biggest increases are occurring outside Europe – with Brazil, Bhutan, Egypt, and Seychelles all registering strong growth rates. Egypt is experiencing a 20 percent increase in tourism. One of the main reasons for this is the opening of the long-awaited Grand Egyptian Museum (GEM) near the Giza Pyramids. Opened last year after nearly 20 years of construction, the museum is considered the largest archaeological museum for one civilization in the world, housing over 100,000 artifacts, including the complete collection of Pharaoh Tutankhamun.
Source:Egypt Independent
February 18, 2026 14:13 UTC
Pope Leo XIV will not be joining US President Donald Trump’s “Board of Peace,” the Vatican’s top diplomat said Tuesday, adding that the United Nations should be left to handle crisis situations. The board, which will be chaired indefinitely by Trump, was originally designed to oversee reconstruction of Gaza. However, its objective has since expanded to make the board a global peacekeeping body. While Italy and the European Union have said they plan to attend the board as observers, the cardinal said the Vatican would not “participate in the Board of Peace because of its particular nature, which is evidently not that of other States.”The Vatican is not the only state to have declined invitations. Diplomats, officials and world leaders have expressed concerns over the expanded remit of the board, Trump’s indefinite chairmanship and the potential damage it could cause to the UN’s work.
Source:Egypt Independent
February 18, 2026 13:54 UTC
New York — Mark Zuckerberg is set to take the stand Wednesday to testify for the first time before a jury about claims that his social media platforms harmed children and teens. Zuckerberg’s witness testimony in a landmark social media addiction trial will give the Meta chief executive a chance to defend the efforts the company says it has taken to protect young users. Parents who say their children were harmed or died as a result of social media are traveling from around the country to attend. Kaley began using YouTube at the age of 6 and Instagram at 9, according to her lawyer, Mark Lanier. “Yet Zuckerberg and Meta pushed forward, choosing features designed to keep kids online longer, even when those choices put children directly in harm’s way.
Source:Egypt Independent
February 18, 2026 13:31 UTC
Assem al-Gazzar, the party’s chairman, affirmed that the initiative comes within the framework of the party’s societal role and its responsibilities toward Egyptian society. He noted that the political successes achieved place a greater responsibility on the party to support citizens. He explained that the initiative includes distributing one million boxes of food supplies across various governorates of the republic, in addition to providing 7,500 tons of meat and poultry at low prices to ease living burdens on families during the holy month. For his part, Counselor Mohamed Omran, Secretary-General of the National Front Party, said the initiative stems from the party’s commitment to supporting the most vulnerable groups and strengthening the values of social solidarity. He stressed that supporting Egyptian families is a top priority in the party’s plan during Ramadan.
Source:Egypt Independent
February 18, 2026 13:14 UTC
Public support for US President Donald Trump’s immigration policies has fallen to its lowest since his return to the White House, amid signs of declining popularity among American men on the issue, according to a new Reuters poll. Male voters played a crucial role in Trump’s 2024 election victory, and throughout 2025, his approval rating on immigration among men remained close to 50 percent. Among women, support on Trump’s immigration stance has fallen from around 40 percent for most of 2025 to 35 percent in the latest poll. Trump began his term with a 47 percent approval rating, but in recent weeks his popularity has settled at its lowest point during his presidency, with his performance approval rating at 38 percent in the latest poll, the same percentage recorded in a poll conducted from January 23-25. The latest poll, conducted online and nationwide, gathered responses from 1,117 American adults and had a margin of error of three percentage points.
Source:Egypt Independent
February 18, 2026 13:14 UTC
Egyptian Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly departed Cairo International Airport on Tuesday, heading to Washington, DC to participate, on behalf of President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, in the first meeting of the Board of Peace established by US President Donald Trump. The board aims to serve as an international platform aimed at formulating sustainable solutions to regional and international conflicts, particularly the Palestinian issue. Madbouly is accompanied on the visit by Minister of Foreign Affairs, International Cooperation, and Egyptian Expatriates Affairs, Badr Abdelatty. Their participation in this meeting comes in response to an invitation from the US administration, and as part of Egypt’s pivotal role in supporting efforts to achieve peace and stability in the region. The visit is scheduled to include Egypt’s address to the Council, which will outline the Egyptian state’s vision on the issues under discussion.
Source:Egypt Independent
February 18, 2026 13:14 UTC
Iran’s Fars News Agency announced on Tuesday the planned closure of parts of the Strait of Hormuz for several hours as a precautionary measure to ensure navigational safety, coinciding with military exercises conducted by the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) in the strait. The IRGC also announced the start of the main phase of its naval maneuvers, as part of the “Smart Control of the Strait of Hormuz” exercise. The naval commander, Ali Reza Tangsiri, said that his forces are capable of closing the strait in the shortest possible time, should the decision be made. This comes amidst the conclusion of the second round of negotiations between Washington and Tehran. From now on, we will continue to follow the path that began on the basis of the agreed principles.
Source:Egypt Independent
February 18, 2026 13:14 UTC
The highly-anticipated “Heya Kimya” series, starring Diab and Mostafa Gharib, is slated to air as part of MBC Masr’s Ramadan 2026 drama lineup. The series follows Sultan, an ambitious young man who finds himself facing a series of unexpected developments with his close friend Hajjaj that turn his life upside down, including romance. MBC Egypt recently released individual posters for the series, writing on Facebook: “Two brothers, two paths, and one secret that turns everything upside down. Heya Kimya exclusively on MBC Egypt this Ramadan.”The cast includes Diab and Mustafa Gharib, Mariam al-Gendy, Farah Youssef, Michel Milad, and others. The series is written by Mohab Tarek, directed by Islam Khairy, and produced by Abdullah Abu al-Fotouh.
Source:Egypt Independent
February 18, 2026 13:00 UTC
(EFID.CA on the Egyptian Exchange) announced that its distribution arm, Edita Trade & Distribution (ETD), has entered a strategic partnership with Shift EV to introduce electric trucks into its nationwide fleet, marking a major step toward more sustainable logistics operations. Shift EV brings technical expertise and experience in electrifying commercial fleets in Egypt, offering solutions that enable companies to convert and operate electric vehicles while delivering measurable operational and environmental benefits. Commenting on the partnership, Alfred Younan, CEO of Edita Trade & Distribution, said:“This partnership with Shift EV represents a natural evolution of our logistics platform as we continue to scale and modernize our operations. We are proud to partner with Shift EV as a 100% homegrown company with the capabilities and experience needed to electrify commercial fleets. “The integration of electric vehicles enhances our operational efficiency and sustainability while strengthening our ability to support future growth,” Younan said.
Source:Daily News Egypt
February 18, 2026 08:40 UTC
Former negotiators who represented the US and Iran told CNN that despite the tensions, an agreement between the countries remains achievable if the Islamic Republic offers firm guarantees to suspend its nuclear program. Rob Malley, a former US official who was a lead negotiator on the 2015 Iran nuclear deal, told CNN that a “short-term, fragile arrangement” is theoretically possible – one that could give both sides “a victory.”Under the agreement with the Obama administration, Iran’s uranium enrichment and number of centrifuges were limited without completely eliminating the program. “Iran’s current negotiations are centered on survival and the preservation of its territorial integrity and national sovereignty. In this regard, Iran will under no circumstances bargain away its defensive deterrence capabilities,” Mousavian said. Malley added, “Of course, whether President Trump is open to a nuclear-only deal, or will insist that it covers ballistic missiles, Iran’s regional partners, or even its domestic policies, is a whole other matter.”
Source:Egypt Independent
February 17, 2026 20:51 UTC
During the meeting, Esmat reviewed key performance indicators for each generation company, progress in implementing operational plans, unit readiness levels and emergency response frameworks. Discussions also addressed procedures for bringing generation units online and offline in a manner that ensures optimal efficiency and stability across the unified national grid. Esmat stressed the importance of continuing efforts to rationalise fuel consumption, enhance production quality and improve the overall efficiency of power plants. He further emphasised the need for daily monitoring of unified grid reinforcement projects and generation plans aimed at reducing fuel usage. Esmat affirmed that improving operational performance, maximising returns on fuel used in electricity generation and upgrading service standards remain key performance benchmarks at all levels of the sector.
Source:Daily News Egypt
February 17, 2026 19:03 UTC
443 of 2026 appointing Hamdy Mahmoud Badawi as Assistant to the Chairperson of the Financial Regulatory Authority (FRA). Badawi brings more than 26 years of experience in criminal investigations and the fight against financial crime. After joining the FRA, Badawi headed the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter Terrorism Financing. He later supervised the Central Administration for Oversight of Insurance Sector Professionals and served as Deputy Assistant to the Chair. In these capacities, he contributed to strengthening supervisory frameworks and enhancing compliance and governance systems across the non-banking financial sector.
Source:Daily News Egypt
February 17, 2026 18:53 UTC
The Financial Regulatory Authority (FRA) has issued a new decision setting out detailed requirements and conditions for licensing futures brokerage activity, marking a further step in completing the legislative and regulatory framework governing Egypt’s derivatives market. The framework is designed to ensure that futures brokerage activity is conducted in line with the highest standards of governance, transparency and institutional discipline. Under the new rules, companies applying for a futures brokerage licence must have issued and fully paid-up capital of no less than EGP 50m, or its equivalent in foreign currency, paid in cash. Companies already licensed to conduct futures brokerage at the time the decision enters into force are granted a three-month grace period to regularise their status. Overall, the decision reflects the FRA’s strategic direction towards establishing a well-regulated and efficient futures market, supported by robust governance standards and advanced risk management tools.
Source:Daily News Egypt
February 17, 2026 18:35 UTC
Egypt will implement its largest-ever gas drilling programme in the Mediterranean in 2026, Minister of Petroleum and Mineral Resources Karim Badawi said on Tuesday during an inspection of Shell’s new offshore operations. Dalia El Gabry, Chair of Shell Egypt, said the company has entered a new phase of its Mediterranean drilling plans for 2026. She noted that the strategy aims to accelerate the development of the West Meina field while continuing exploratory drilling for new resources. Shell’s current four-well programme includes the West Meina 1 and West Meina 2 wells in the North East Amriya area. The programme also involves drilling the “Sirius” exploration well to evaluate a gas reservoir in shallower waters in North East Amriya.
Source:Daily News Egypt
February 17, 2026 18:19 UTC