A civil court has declared that the former boss of More Supermarkets, Ryan Schembri, had fraudulently bound the company with a €3.5m contract for constitution of debt, at a time when he no longer legally represented the supermarket chain. Schembri, cousin to former OPM chief of staff Keith Schembri, had fled the country in 2014 with a reported €40 million in debts left behind from the More Supermarkets crash. The civil lawsuits had been filed against Edmond Mugliett, Alexander Farrugia, Adrian Agius, Cassar and Schembri (Marketing) Ltd, and Schembri and Agius, by More Supermarkets Ltd and More Holdings Ltd. The supermarket companies had argued that their former bosses, Agius, Mugliett, and Farrugia, had never loaned the monies and that the constitution of debt had been a fabrication. The judge ruled that Schembri had acted fraudulently and that he was no longer authorised to represent the supermarket chain when he signed the debt agreement.
Source:Libya Today
March 28, 2023 19:55 UTC
Libyan Express Air Company, a private sector carrier, received its first Boeing 737 aircraft at Misrata airport today. The craft has a capacity of 120 passengers and will start operating its flights to and from Libyan and international airports. Libyan Express Air was previously limited to flying ambulances and private flights. It now seeks to expand in the increasingly competitive, wider Libyan market.
Source:Libya Today
March 28, 2023 17:13 UTC
Sports Mole previews Tuesday's Africa Cup of Nations Qualifying clash between Libya and Tunisia, including predictions, team news and possible lineups. Libya and Tunisia will go head-to-head for the second time in four days as they lock horns at the Martyrs of February Stadium on Tuesday night. Match preview© ReutersIn their first outing since the 2022 FIFA World Cup, Tunisia made light work of Libya in Friday's resounding 3-0 victory at the Stade Olympique Hammadi Agrebi. Libya Africa Cup of Nations Qualifying form:Libya form (all competitions):Tunisia Africa Cup of Nations Qualifying form:Tunisia form (all competitions):Team NewsHaythem Jouini opened his account for Tunisia on his debut, and the 29-year-old will head into Tuesday's affair with the wind in his sails. Nonetheless, we are tipping the visitors to come away with the victory at the sound of the final whistle.
Source:Libya Today
March 28, 2023 17:08 UTC
APGeneva: UN-backed human rights experts said on Monday there is evidence that crimes against humanity have been committed against Libyans and migrants in chaos-stricken Libya, including women being forced into sexual slavery. The investigators found "reasonable grounds to believe that crimes against humanity were committed against Libyans and migrants throughout Libya,” said Mohamed Auajjar, the head of the fact-finding mission. The "wide-scale exploitation of vulnerable, irregular migrants” churned up "significant revenue” that spurred continued rights violations, it said. The investigators said the situation of human rights has been getting worse. In November, ICC Prosecutor Karim Khan said his office had joined a coalition of nations investigating human trafficking in the country.
Source:Libya Today
March 28, 2023 04:38 UTC
GENEVA — U.N.-backed human rights experts said Monday there is evidence that crimes against humanity have been committed against Libyans and migrants in chaos-stricken Libya, including women being forced into sexual slavery. Oil-rich but largely lawless Libya has in recent years emerged as the dominant transit point for migrants seeking a better quality of life in Europe. The investigators found "reasonable grounds to believe that crimes against humanity were committed against Libyans and migrants throughout Libya," said Mohamed Auajjar, the head of the fact-finding mission. The Libyan coast guard, which has received training and equipment from the EU, has worked "in close coordination" with trafficking networks in Libya, the report said. The investigators said the situation of human rights has been getting worse.
Source:Libya Today
March 28, 2023 02:50 UTC
The investigator, Chaloka Beyani, was speaking after a U.N. fact-finding mission presented a report saying crimes against humanity were carried out against migrants in detention centres. "Although we're not saying that the EU and its member states have committed these crimes. The criticism of the EU echoes that from the U.N. human rights chief and from Human Rights Watch and other rights groups in previous years. "The violations and abuses investigated by the mission were connected primarily to the consolidation of power and wealth by militias and other state-affiliated groups," the report said. The report will be presented to the U.N. Human Rights Council later this week.
Source:Libya Today
March 28, 2023 01:43 UTC
CAIRO, March 20 (Reuters) - Libyan club Al-Akhdar were baffled when they arrived at their Benghazi stadium for an African Confederations Cup clash with Marumo Gallants on Sunday afternoon to find no referee, no officials and no opposition. Unfortunately, according to Al-Akhdar assistant coach Ahmed Saleh, CAF forgot to inform the home team. "The match against Marumo was supposed to be at 3 p.m. (1300 GMT) (but) the referees, officials, and the visiting team haven't arrived," he posted on Facebook. When the fixture did finally get underway, Marumo Gallants, who took to the field straight from the airport, went down 4-1 to give Al-Akhdar their first win in five group matches. There was no immediate reply to a request for comment from the Marumo Gallants.
Source:Libya Today
March 20, 2023 07:49 UTC
This scrutiny comes as the United States designated Wagner an international criminal organization in January and is seeking to isolate the group financially and politically. Russia's #Wagner Group designated a "Terrorist Organization" by Lithuanian lawmakers. The Wagner Group has sought to use Libya as a forward base for its activities in the Sahel region, particularly Chad and Niger. This raises the question of how the Wagner Group is funded in Libya and by who. The Wagner Group is known to have a presence in and around the Qardabia air base in Sirte.
Source:Libya Today
March 19, 2023 06:51 UTC
This Saturday will be the 12th anniversary of one of the worst American foreign policy decisions of this century. I rank it third after the 2003 invasion of Iraq and the 2021 negotiated surrender to the Taliban in Afghanistan. While time has mostly held to account those responsible for the 2003 Iraq invasion and perhaps things are too fresh and political for a true accountability for the Afghanistan disgrace, there is no excuse for the complete lack of accountability for what was done to Libya in 2011. All three disgraces, as it is with most military operations by the USA in the last 60 years, does not owe its disgrace to the military being tasked to execute an operation, but with the failure of the politicians and diplomats to understand what the ultimate goal was, the nature of the nation they were sending their military in to, and any type of long term plan for success.
Source:Libya Today
March 18, 2023 19:01 UTC
Discourse on Libya remains fixated on the lethal and the lucrativeHafed Al-GhwellLibyan students attennd a local robotics competition in Tripoli on March 4, 2023. (AFP)Short Url https://arab.news/4x8frEven after 12 years, discourse on Libya remains fixated on the lethal and the lucrative — sidelining the role that the North African country’s finance and banking sector plays in perpetuating, even exacerbating, dysfunction mostly stemming from its discordant politics. Even prior to the post-2011 political instability, Libya’s financial sector was not sufficiently developed nor fully exorcised from the crippling legacy of decades of economic centralization. There was little incentive to modernize banking, bolster the financial sector and adopt better risk-management strategies. Libya will — for now — remain crippled by a finance sector inclined to subvert calls for its reform.
Source:Libya Today
March 18, 2023 18:41 UTC
Boxing was "in his blood," according to the 63-year-old Tripoli resident who proudly keeps the photo as his phone's background. He was only 19 when Qaddafi outlawed boxing, along with wrestling and other combat sports, in 1979 because he saw them as a threat to his personality cult. Zlitni reunited with former fighters and worked to revive boxing after Libya's 2011 revolution, which resulted in Qaddafi's overthrow and death. Since then, Libyan boxers have excelled in a variety of competitions, taking inspiration from light heavyweight champion Malik Zinad, who found success after emigrating to Europe. Bouhwiyah now works out in a contemporary gym in Tripoli after going on to win numerous competitions, including regional championships.
Source:Libya Today
March 18, 2023 07:07 UTC
TRIPOLI: Omar Zlitni holds a decades-old, black-and-white photo of himself as a boxer in his prime, posing in shorts and a training vest before Libya’s then-dictator, Moamer Kadhafi, banned his beloved sport. Boxing was “in his blood”, said the 63-year-old Tripoli resident who proudly keeps the image as his phone’s wallpaper. Under a tin roof, in a Tripoli barn, young fighters spar in a dusty old ring. One in particular stands out among the ringside crowd -- Mountaha Touhami, one of few women boxers in the conservative Muslim country. Having gone on to win several competitions, including regional titles, Bouhwiyah now trains in a modern gym in Tripoli.
Source:Libya Today
March 18, 2023 05:37 UTC
Make no bones about it, Red Bull are way ahead of the rest of the field. Overhauling Red Bull is going to take a monumental effort from one team — and fast. Vasseur, on the other hand, remained convinced that his car just had an off day and is much closer to the Red Bull vehicle than many think. Only time will tell, but the results or improvement will need to bear fruit instantaneously before the Red Bull lead becomes uncatchable. There are not many chinks in the Red Bull armor, but one that might be targeted and prised open by other teams is Red Bull’s so-called “second driver,” Perez.
Source:Libya Today
March 18, 2023 01:15 UTC
CNN — A Libyan armed group claims to have found the barrels of natural uranium that went missing in southern Libya. A video posted by Mahjoub showed a man wearing a hazmat suit vocally counting 18 blue barrels that allegedly contain the missing natural uranium. A total of 2.5 tons of natural uranium in the form of uranium ore concentrate were reported missing by the International Atomic Energy Agency [IAEA] this week, after inspectors conducted verification activities Tuesday. A barrel-sized hole was found cut open to the side of the storage warehouse, Mahjoub added. The IAEA had said that the missing uranium posed "little radiation hazard but it requires safe handling."
Source:Libya Today
March 17, 2023 21:13 UTC
According to the United Nations (UN) nuclear watchdog, 2.5 tons of natural uranium has gone missing from Libya, sounding the alarm over potential nefarious uses of the dangerous material. It went missing from a site not under government control, and forces allied to a warlord currently battling the government claim to have recovered the uranium, though this remains unconfirmed. As told to Reuters, the IAEA found approximately 10 drums of natural uranium missing from its designated area. Natural uranium is not immediately usable in weaponry or nuclear reactors, but a complex refinement process can create around 5.6 kilograms (12 pounds) from each ton of natural uranium, according to AP. It now remains to be seen whether the uranium has been recovered and can be verified by the UN, or whether it remains lost.
Source:Libya Today
March 17, 2023 21:07 UTC