TRIPOLI (Reuters) - Three Libyan fighters of a military force based in Tripoli were killed in clashes with smugglers and drug dealers in the desert near the border with Algeria, the force said in a statement on Tuesday. The force, 444 Brigade, said the clashes "were heated and lasted for hours," adding that they "had thwarted smuggling approximately 5 million narcotic pills." The brigade has patrols in the south of the city and other towns combating smuggling. The footage also showed two suspected smugglers sitting on their knees with their hands above their heads surrounded by the brigade fighters. The message said the workshop included officials, specialists and security experts from 26 countries.
Source:Libya Today
May 14, 2024 23:20 UTC
UN Envoy Decries Continued Political Stalemate In LibyaThe outgoing head of the UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) urged leaders to end their stalemate and bring the country back on the path to peace and stability, in an exclusive interview with UN News. At the same time, the war in Sudan has also had an impact over recent months on both the security situation and economic situation. (file)UN News: While the political stalemate in Libya persists, the economic situation is becoming severely strained. Can you tell us more about the security situation there and in Libya in general? Unfortunately, because of the security situation, there is no hope that we can think of this situation improving in the mid-term or even long-term.
Source:Libya Today
May 14, 2024 23:01 UTC
“Libyans are wondering what have you provided to us?” Taher El Sonni said on Tuesday during a Security Council session on the ICC’s work on Libya. "What are you waiting for, Mr Khan?” he added. Last week, two Republican congressmen introduced the "Illegitimate Court Counteraction Act" to sanction ICC officials targeting the US or its allies, including Israel. The Security Council referred the situation in Libya to the ICC in February 2011 after a violent crackdown on protests against the regime of Muammar Qaddafi. During his briefing to the Security Council, Mr Khan announced a “road map” would see the investigation phase completed by the end of 2025.
Source:Libya Today
May 14, 2024 20:59 UTC
At the same time, the war in Sudan has also had an impact over recent months on both the security situation and economic situation. Today, Libya has gone backward. This is the reality in Libya today, unfortunately. Can you tell us more about the security situation there and in Libya in general? Unfortunately, because of the security situation, there is no hope that we can think of this situation improving in the mid-term or even long-term.
Source:Libya Today
May 14, 2024 19:21 UTC
Los Angeles/DNA — The world has taken a small step backward on the path of democracy since 2010, according to a global index being released this week by an international group of governance researchers. Los Angeles/DNA — The world has taken a small step backward on the path of democracy since 2010, according to a global index being released this week by an international group of governance researchers. The Democratic Accountability Index weighs the influence of citizens and institutions on governments. Other countries with some of the largest declines in the democracy index are Venezuela, Thailand, Turkey, Yemen and Russia. The 10 most improved countries in democratic accountability include four in Africa — Tunisia, Gambia, Liberia and Libya — plus Peru, Armenia, Bhutan, Iraq, Myanmar and Afghanistan.
Source:Libya Today
May 14, 2024 19:10 UTC
Haftar commands the Libyan Arab Armed Forces, also known as the Libyan National Army. Although multiple armed groups serve under its banner, many operate under their own command structures and engage in their own raids and patrols across eastern Libya. (AFP/File)“In today’s Libya, armed groups are the only entities capable of projecting power and maintaining territorial control,” Jalel Harchaoui, an associate fellow at the UK-based Royal United Services Institute, told Arab News. Armed groups in Libya are often accused by the UN and human rights groups of committing war crimes with impunity. “Once corruption is addressed, further steps can be considered.”There are, however, multiple factors behind the Libyan military’s inability to rein in the country’s many armed groups.
Source:Libya Today
May 14, 2024 18:17 UTC
UNITED NATIONS : The International Criminal Court prosecutor probing war crimes committed in Libya since 2011 announced Monday his plans to complete the investigation phase by the end of 2025.Presenting his regular report before the United Nations Security Council , Karim Khan said that "strong progress" had been made in the last 18 months, thanks in particular to better cooperation from Libyan authorities. "Our work is moving forward with increased speed and with a focus on trying to deliver on the legitimate expectations of the council and of the people of Libya," Khan said.He added that in the last six months, his team had completed 18 missions in three areas of Libya, collecting more than 800 pieces of evidence including video and audio material.Khan said he saw announcing a timeline to complete the investigation phase as a "landmark moment" in the case. "Of course, it's not going to be easy. It's going to require cooperation, candor, a 'can do' attitude from my office but also from the authorities in Libya," he added. "The aim would be to give effect to arrest warrants and to have initial proceedings start before the court in relation to at least one warrant by the end of next year," Khan said.The Security Council referred the situation in Libya to the ICC in February 2011 following a violent crackdown on unprecedented protests against the regime of Muammar Gaddafi .So far, the investigation opened by the court in March 2011 has produced three cases related to crimes against humanity and war crimes, though some proceedings were abandoned after the death of suspects.An arrest warrant remains in place for Seif al-Islam Gaddafi, the son of the assassinated Libyan dictator who was killed by rebel forces in October 2011.Libya has since been plagued by fighting, with power divided between a UN-recognized Tripoli government and a rival administration in the country's east.
Source:Libya Today
May 14, 2024 17:32 UTC
The Ministry of Oil and Gas announced on Monday that revenues from oil concession amounted to 1.37 billion dinars last April, and these revenues include taxes on the quantities produced and exported of crude oil. The Ministry's General Department of Corporate Accounting explained that these revenues were collected from concession and participation contracts ConocoPhillips - Total Energy, according to the Ministry.
Source:Libya Observer
May 14, 2024 12:56 UTC
Libyan authorities arrested several high-ranking customs officials in connection with a foiled attempt to smuggle about $2 billion worth of gold. The detainees, including the director-general of the customs authority and the head of customs at Misrata airport, allegedly conspired with others to traffic about 26 tons of gold bullion, according to a statement on the Facebook page of the Attorney General’s Office. That would be valued at about $2 billion at current prices.
Source:Libya Today
May 14, 2024 12:22 UTC
Several reputable Libyan media sites have published a copy of a leaked letter from the Administrative Control Authority (ACA) purporting to end the suspension of the Tripoli based Oil and Gas Minister Mohamed Aoun. Neither the ACA nor the Tripoli based Aldabaiba government have made any official, direct or indirect, confirmation of the contents of the widely leaked letter. It will be recalled that on 25 March, the ACA had suspended Aoun and referred him to investigation. Khalifa Abdel Sadig has taken over the role as Acting Oil Minister. Oil Minister Aoun suspended by ACA – continues work claiming he has received no such notification (libyaherald.com)PM Aldabaiba meets new Acting Oil Minister Abdel Sadig (libyaherald.com)
Source:Libya Today
May 14, 2024 11:53 UTC
EU government ministers approved 10 legislative parts of The New Pact on Migration and Asylum. Mainstream political parties believe the pact resolves the issues that have divided member nations since well over 1 million migrants swept into Europe in 2015, most fleeing war in Syria and Iraq. They hope the system will starve the far right of vote-winning oxygen in the June 6-9 elections. Critics say the pact will let nations detain migrants at borders and fingerprint children. Some 3.5 million migrants arrived legally in Europe in 2023.
Source:Libya Today
May 14, 2024 11:33 UTC
Afghan Voice Agency (AVA) - Monitoring: The Libyan Presidential Council announced last week that it had joined the case of South Africa and Israel, now underway in the UN’s principal court.Libya filed the declaration of intervention concerning the Application of the Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide in the Gaza Strip.Libya said it filed the declaration because it believed the Israeli regime has been engaging in genocide against Palestinians in Gaza since October 7, 2023, and failing to prevent and prosecute the direct and public incitement to genocide.The African Arab state emphasized the Genocide Convention’s significance, saying the ICJ has recognized the prohibition of genocide as a jus cogens norm in international law.Libya’s intervention focuses on the proper interpretation of provisions outlining the duty to prevent and not commit and genocide, and the duty to punish it, as stipulated in Articles I, II, III, IV, V, and VI of the Convention.The case was initiated in December 2023 when the African country filed an application instituting proceedings against the Israelis concerning its violations by the Israeli forces of its obligations under the Genocide Convention in relation to Palestinians in Gaza.Article 63 of the ICJ statute grants member states to a convention the right to intervene in the proceedings concerning its rulings.South Africa complained Israelis’ conduct towards Palestinians in Gaza breached its obligations under the Genocide Convention. The application filed by South Africa also sought provisional measures to safeguard Palestinian rights under the Convention and ensure the Israelis compliance.On March 28, 2024, the Court indicated provisional measures, ordering Israel to prevent “plausible” genocide in Gaza, prevent displacement and loss of life in Palestine, desist from inciting genocide, and punish such incitements, among other directives.On Friday, South Africa filed an urgent request with the Court for further provisional measures and modification of those previously ordered.South Africa says the earlier measures “are not capable of ‘fully address[ing]’ the changed circumstances and new facts” underpinning its request, citing “the situation brought about by the Israeli assault on Rafah, and the extreme risk it poses to humanitarian supplies and basic services into Gaza.”In addition to Libya, Colombia and Egypt have also intervened in the case of South Africa and Israel, saying all the state members of the Genocide Convention should do everything in their power to contribute to ensuring the prevention, suppression, and punishment of genocide, and, therefore, assist the Court in establishing any state party’s failure to comply with its orders.Egypt’s intervention comes amid an escalation in attacks by Israeli forces on Rafah, a city which borders the Arab country and hosts a crossing by the same name which is responsible for a bulk of aid supplies reaching the besieged Gaza Strip./Press tv
Source:Libya Today
May 14, 2024 09:16 UTC
But residents and aid workers say that many people haven’t had the cash to purchase them. COGAT, an Israeli Defense Ministry agency tasked with coordinating aid deliveries into the Palestinian territories, did not respond to Reuters’ questions. In February, the top US diplomat involved in humanitarian assistance to Gaza said Israeli forces had killed Palestinian police protecting a UN convoy. Many people were trading canned food or other aid for items they were missing, or selling them for cash, residents told Reuters. Aya, a resident of Gaza City who was displaced first to Rafah and then central Gaza by Israeli operations, received ten blankets in aid packages.
Source:Libya Today
May 14, 2024 05:06 UTC
Strengthening Libya’s fiscal framework would enhance macroeconomic resilience. Reported inflation stayed low despite the depreciation of the parallel exchange rate. Avoiding the procyclical spending bias and strengthening Libya’s fiscal framework would enhance macroeconomic resilience and reduce volatility in activity and output. In the absence of conventional monetary policy tools, controlling fiscal expenditure would be the preferred response consistent with Libya’s macroeconomic policy framework. Promoting financial stability and strengthening monetary policy requires a comprehensive reform of the banking sector.
Source:Libya Today
May 14, 2024 04:33 UTC
The Prime Minister of the Government of National Unity Abdul Hamid Dbeibah, and the Head of the High Council of State, Mohammed Takala, stressed the need to implement fair and impartial simultaneous elections. This call came during their meeting at the office of the High Council of State on Monday to discuss political affairs and government spending for 2024. The two officials agreed on the necessity of focusing on development projects and supporting municipalities to implement local administration programs as well as eliminating centralization, the necessity of addressing the fuel file, and establishing the necessary control methods. They also agreed to hold follow-up meetings by the High Council of State, the Administrative Control Authority, and the Audit Bureau to enhance the plan for disclosure and transparency in all government expenditures. Meanwhile, the meeting between was ahead of a scheduled meeting of the Arab League in Cairo, in which Takala would meet with the Head of the Presidential Council, Mohammed Menfi, and the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Aqila Saleh to complete their discussions regarding the political process and elections.
Source:Libya Observer
May 13, 2024 19:03 UTC