PETALING JAYA: A preacher who was previously detained by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) has been rearrested as part of a separate investigation. The Alor Setar Magistrate's Court granted a new three-day remand on Friday (Feb 6) morning for both suspects. "The two suspects were remanded for a second time for allegedly conspiring to misappropriate approximately RM1.3mil, which was deposited into the preacher's personal bank account. Kedah MACC director Datuk Nazli Rasyid Sulong confirmed the arrest when contacted, and said that the investigation had been conducted jointly with the MACC Anti-Money Laundering (AML) Division since October. Investigations are also being carried out under Section 23 of the MACC Act 2009, he added.
Source:The Star
February 06, 2026 05:20 UTC
Dr Feisul Idzwan said Health Ministry continued to encourage Malaysians to undergo regular health screenings even without symptoms. He said the 65-year-old relative often accompanied her husband for heart-related checkups but did not undergo health screening herself. Regular monitoring by a health professional was essential, he emphasised, and said fear and stigma were among reasons people avoided health screenings. Ipoh City Watch president Dr Richard Ng said the reminder on doing annual health screening was timely. Ng asserted: “Health screening should be non-negotiable.
Source:The Star
February 06, 2026 05:20 UTC
ALOR SETAR (Feb 6): The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) of Kedah has remanded an independent preacher for the second time, as well as the head of the finance and accounting department of an educational and dakwah institution in the state, on suspicion of conspiring to misappropriate funds amounting to about RM1.3 million. According to a source, the suspects, a man and a woman in their 30s, were re-arrested at about 6pm on Thursday at the Sungai Petani MACC office for investigation into another case. "Investigations also found that both suspects had approved payment for a house purchase worth about RM500,000,” the source added. On Thursday, both suspects were remanded over alleged abuse of power involving about RM600,000 in fundraising payments for an educational and dakwah institution without obtaining approval from the other partner. Meanwhile, Kedah MACC director Datuk Nazli Rasyid Sulong, when contacted, confirmed the arrests and said the investigation by the Kedah MACC and the MACC Anti-Money Laundering (AML) Division since October last year is being conducted under Section 23 of the MACC Act 2009.
Source:The Edge Markets
February 06, 2026 05:20 UTC
The Thai stock exchange is grappling with the departure of companies seeking deeper capital pools and higher valuations abroad. Among Thai companies opting to list elsewhere, cryptocurrency exchange operator Bitkub is considering an offering in Hong Kong, Bloomberg News reported. Line Man Wongnai is moving ahead with plans to raise funds as it intends to boost investment in its financial technology unit, Lineman Pay. In 2020, it merged with Line Man, Line Corp’s delivery service in Thailand. Line Man had been spun off from a unit of Naver Corp, now a key backer of the combined company.
Source:The Edge Markets
February 06, 2026 05:10 UTC
KOTA KINABALU: Local authorities have yet to identify who indiscriminately dumped piles of files in an open space near a beach in Putatan district. Putatan district officer Masawi Salleh said that while the culprits have yet to be identified, it was fortunate that the documents dumped were not classified as ‘important documents’. He added that only one file, containing documents for office keeping, was found. Regarding the public’s habit of dumping rubbish in undesignated open areas, Masawi said stricter enforcement would be implemented. He said notices and warnings have been posted many times to stop people using the area as a dumping ground, but these have gone unheeded.
Source:The Star
February 06, 2026 05:10 UTC
KUALA LUMPUR (Feb 6): Berjaya Food Bhd (KL:BJFOOD) continues to be at risk in the hostile food and beverage landscape despite narrowing losses, CIMB Securities said, due to continuous local and nationwide boycotts towards its franchises. While same-store sales grew in its latest financial quarter, CIMB Securities expects the group's loss-making trend to continue for the next few years. “In our view, BJFood’s current valuation at three times 2027 price-to-book value has yet to account for our expectations of continued losses through the financial years ending [June] 2026 and 2028,” said CIMB Securities. The group's net loss narrowed to RM11.9 million in the latest Oct-Dec quarter (2QFY2026) as opposed to RM14.6 million in 1QFY2026. Shares of BJFood closed at 21.5 sen on Thursday, representing a potential downside of 9.1% relative to the research house’s target price.
Source:The Edge Markets
February 06, 2026 05:05 UTC
(Feb 6): The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) kept rates unchanged on Friday, with higher government spending and a surprise US trade deal boosting the outlook for economic growth. The government also boosted spending in its budget this week, helping to support the rupee and giving the RBI more room to calibrate policy. US tariff cuts have helped the rupee rebound from Asia’s worst performer in January to be the region’s top gainer so far this month. Consumer price growth has stayed below 2% for the last four months. The government predicts the economy could expand more than 7% in financial year starting April 1, compared with an estimated 7.4% growth for the current year.
Source:The Edge Markets
February 06, 2026 05:05 UTC
PETALING JAYA: Keyfield International Bhd has entered into a shipbuilding contract with Jiangsu Shunhong Marine Technology Co Ltd for the shipbuilding of a new DP2 (dynamic positioning) anchor-handling tug supply (AHTS) with diesel-electric engine for US$18mil (RM70.7mil). In a filing with Bursa Malaysia, the vessel chartering firm said the new DP2 AHTS is part of its strategy to allocate more resources and increase exposure to AHTS, while maintaining its core strength in accommodation workboats as the company expands its international charters, especially in the Middle East. “As our existing AHTS are largely committed to or earmarked for long-term charters, the new DP2 AHTS will expand available AHTS capacity and allow us to pursue new tender and spot charter opportunities without affecting existing commitment,” it said.
Source:The Star
February 06, 2026 05:04 UTC
NEW YORK, Feb. 5 (Xinhua) -- Oil prices fell on Thursday. The West Texas Intermediate for March delivery lost 1.85 U.S. dollars, or 2.84 percent, to settle at 63.29 dollars a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange. Brent crude for April delivery dropped to 1.91 dollars, or 2.75 percent, to settle at 67.55 dollars a barrel on the London ICE Futures Exchange.
Source:The Star
February 06, 2026 04:45 UTC
Melaka’s iconic landmarks offer a sense of familiarity and ease, supporting the city’s growing role as a medical travel destination. Long known for its Unesco-listed heritage, historic streets and riverside charm, the state is increasingly recognised as a regional destination for medical travel. Healthcare momentumAs reported by the Malaysia Healthcare Travel Council, Malaysia generated more than RM2.7bil in healthcare travel revenue in 2024, treating over 1.6 million international patients through accredited private hospitals, offering competitive costs and short waiting times. Melaka’s role in VM2026As VM2026 and the Malaysia Year of Medical Tourism 2026 gain momentum, Melaka’s role in the national healthcare narrative continues to grow. As Melaka strengthens its place within Malaysia’s medical tourism landscape, accessibility remains one of its defining advantages.
Source:The Star
February 06, 2026 04:44 UTC
KOTA KINABALU: A Chinese airline's resumption of direct daily flights from Shangai to Kota Kinabalu reinforces Malaysia's position as a preferred destination for travellers from China, says Tourism Malaysia. Spring Airlines' first flight, 9C8593, arrived at Kota Kinabalu International Airport here at 1.30am on Jan 28. It was welcomed by Tourism Malaysia representative Haryanty Abu Bakar, airline representatives, the Sabah Tourism Board (STB), and Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad. Tourism Malaysia said the launch of this daily direct service is an important milestone in enhancing international access to Sabah. He said this expansion aligned strongly with Malaysia’s strategic efforts to attract more Chinese visitors, particularly following the implementation of visa-free entry for Chinese citizens.
Source:The Star
February 06, 2026 04:39 UTC
SINGAPORE (Feb 6): Singapore residents continued to travel extensively within the region, with Malaysia retaining its position as their most popular destination in December, data from payment technology company Visa showed. In a statement, Visa said Singapore residents recorded an 18% year-on-year (y-o-y) increase in face-to-face card spending in Malaysia during the year-end travel season, driven by a sharp rise in travel-related spending. "Kuala Lumpur and Johor Bahru recorded y-o-y spending growth of 31% and 17% respectively, securing their positions as the top destinations for Singapore residents," it said. According to Visa, Japan was the second top destination for Singapore residents travelling at year end, although the y-o-y spending growth was not significant, reaching only 5% compared to previous years. Meanwhile, the company noted that Thailand and South Korea remain key travel destinations for Singapore residents, coming in third and fourth places.
Source:The Edge Markets
February 06, 2026 04:35 UTC
KOTA TINGGI: Despite the emergence of a tuberculosis (TB) cluster, daily life in an affected Felda settlement continues as authorities monitor the situation and ensure those infected receive treatment. Felda Sungai Mas village chief Mohd Ariff Ahmad said the situation was under control, with schools, shops and daily activities continuing as usual. “Only those who tested positive are being quarantined at home,” he added. On Wednesday, the Johor Health Department revealed that a TB cluster was detected here on Jan 25. Mohd Ariff noted that Felda Sungai Mas is among the largest Felda settlements in the country, with more than 5,000 residents.
Source:The Star
February 06, 2026 04:35 UTC
BANGI: A cattle trader was charged in the Bandar Baru Bangi Magistrate's Court here on Friday (Feb 6) with the murder of his female friend, a primary school teacher, last week. Datu Mohd Effendi Datu Mohd Salleh, 33, nodded when the charge was read out to him before Magistrate Saira Banu Mohamed Ashrof Raja. The married man was charged with murdering Nurul Huda Maha Liddin, 44, at Persiaran Pekeliling, Section 3, Bandar Baru Bangi, between 11pm on Jan 29 and 3.32am on Jan 30, 2026. The court set April 2 for mention to submit the chemical and autopsy reports. Deputy Public Prosecutor Siti Nur Alia Safri appeared for the prosecution, while lawyers Aravind Raj and Serena Paul represented the accused.
Source:The Star
February 06, 2026 04:33 UTC
KUALA LUMPUR: Heavy goods vehicles will be barred from roads during specific periods before and after the Chinese New Year celebrations, says the Road Transport Department (JPJ). Its director-general Datuk Aedy Fadly Ramli said the bans will be on Feb 14 and 15, and Feb 21 and 22. “All road users are also advised to adhere to traffic laws, ensure their vehicles are in safe working order, alongside planning their journeys in advance,” he said in a statement yesterday. An 8am to 8pm ban will apply to container lorries transporting goods as well as vehicles transporting electronic items or chemical produce from ports or airports to industrial areas within the same state, and vice versa. The ban also applies to lorries transporting palm oil produce, rubber and more.
Source:The Star
February 06, 2026 04:30 UTC