IPOH (Jan 30): The Ministry of Education (MOE) is making early preparations to ensure schools are operationally ready for the intake of Year One pupils under the "double cohort" situation next year. Deputy Education Minister Wong Kah Woh said the "double cohort" involves the simultaneous enrolment of six- and seven-year-old children into Year One, and that the ministry has begun early planning, including school operations, teacher placement and classroom facilities. “This issue is a concern for all parties, but MOE planning has started early, particularly in terms of teacher availability and facilities at schools nationwide. He said the MOE is also identifying schools facing classroom shortages, particularly overcrowded schools, and will construct additional classrooms using the Industrialised Building System (IBS). “We have data on overcrowded schools, but schools that were previously not overcrowded also need to be reassessed to ensure facilities remain adequate,” he said.
Source:The Edge Markets
January 30, 2026 04:43 UTC
(Jan 30): Hong Kong’s beleaguered housing market is staging a comeback, the latest sign that the city is on the road to recovery following years of gloom. A Bloomberg Intelligence gauge of Hong Kong developer valuations has climbed 59% from a year ago. Slower rate cuts by the Fed, which would slow the pace of easing in Hong Kong, could also crimp the recovery. “Banks remain wary of lending to commercial real estate projects,” said Thomas Chak, head of capital markets & investment services at Colliers Hong Kong. Hong Kong has seen more than 230,000 new arrivals via the scheme since 2023.
Source:The Edge Markets
January 30, 2026 04:38 UTC
South Korean officials have sought to play down speculation that the tariff dispute is linked to the Coupang probe. South Korea has dispatched senior ministers to reassure the US of its commitment to the trade deal. Trade Minister Yeo Han-koo is scheduled to meet his US counterpart, Jamieson Greer, in an effort to defuse the dispute. The White House has pointed in particular to the absence of the so-called Special Law on Strategic Investment with the US, which is intended to underpin Korea’s investment pledges. Meanwhile, the US Treasury Department said South Korea remains on its monitoring list.
Source:The Edge Markets
January 30, 2026 04:18 UTC
The integrated poultry producer specialising in table egg production is set to make its debut on Feb 13. Ordinary eggs accounted for about 97% of revenue, with premium eggs contributing about 3%. Capacity expansion as the core growth driverThe core growth driver is the group’s planned expansion at its Teluk Intan site, which is set to increase its daily egg production capacity over a 60-month rollout. The project involves the construction of 25 new closed-house poultry coops, adding about 1.53 million eggs per day once fully completed. The group currently operates 35 automated closed-house chicken coops with a total capacity of about 2.4 million birds, producing 1.63 million eggs daily.
Source:The Edge Markets
January 30, 2026 03:58 UTC
(Jan 29): The United States and El Salvador signed an agreement on Thursday aimed at encouraging investment in the exploration and export of critical minerals, which US President Donald Trump has described as essential to economic and national security. The deal signed in Washington would allow US companies to operate across the critical-minerals supply chain in El Salvador. Bukele has highlighted the presence in El Salvador of minerals such as rhenium and silicon, recently added to an expanded US list of critical minerals that guides Washington's priorities for clean energy, defence and manufacturing. The agreement also commits El Salvador to cooperating with US sanctions and export controls and on defence-related trade. El Salvador already has duty-free access for many goods under the CAFTA-DR agreement, which includes the United States, Central America and the Dominican Republic.
Source:The Edge Markets
January 30, 2026 03:44 UTC
Separately, they are also exploring a tie-up between SpaceX and xAI ahead of an IPO, some of the people said. Musk and representatives for SpaceX, xAI and Tesla didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment. Tesla shares jumped as much as 4.5% in after-hours trading on Thursday. Reuters reported the potential merger between SpaceX and xAI earlier. Shares of xAI would be exchanged for shares in SpaceX, Reuters said, citing a person familiar with the matter.
Source:The Edge Markets
January 30, 2026 03:33 UTC
With this current rate, the Paris Agreement’s limit of 1.5ºC for global warming could be breached by 2030—over a decade earlier than predicted. More days with ‘strong heat stress’Although 2025 as a whole did not break the temperature record, January 2025 was the warmest January ever recorded. The consequences of rising global temperatures are felt particularly during heatwaves, which are made more intense and more likely by continued global warming, she added. El Nino tends to have a warming effect on global temperatures, superimposed on long-term human-caused global warming, whereas La Nina tends to have the opposite effect. “The Paris Agreement and international action are to get to net zero as quickly as possible to reduce emissions and to reduce global warming.
Source:The Star
January 30, 2026 03:09 UTC
“And does he have any authority to do this?”Bombardier and Canadian government officials didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment. The back-and-forth comes as the countries prepare to renegotiate their continental trade pact, known as USMCA, which Trump agreed to in his first term. That means a large proportion of Canadian exports are entering the US duty-free, though significant tariffs remain on key sectors like steel and aluminum. Earlier Thursday, Trump threatened to tariff countries that provided or sold oil to Cuba, in a move that could subject Mexico to higher levies. Bombardier’s exposureMore than half of Bombardier’s global fleet of over 5,200 aircraft is operated in the US.
Source:The Edge Markets
January 30, 2026 03:03 UTC
PETALING JAYA: Selangor police have confirmed that a famous male actor was arrested after testing positive for drugs. Previous media reports indicated that the 40-year-old actor was arrested on Wednesday before being taken to the Shah Alam Magistrate's Court for a remand application to assist in drug-related investigations. The actor involved is believed to have been arrested under Section 15(1)(a) of the Dangerous Drugs Act 1952 following a positive drug urine test result. Previously, the Petaling Jaya Magistrate's Court had found the actor guilty of using THC drugs. However, the actor escaped jail time after the Court of Appeal allowed him to pay a fine of RM5,000.
Source:The Star
January 30, 2026 03:00 UTC
PETALING JAYA: Women’s doubles shuttler Go Pei Kee has expressed her desire to part ways with her partner Teoh Mei Xing after one year and six months of playing together. While their other teammates had already featured in several tournaments throughout January, Pei Kee and Mei Xing have yet to take the court as a pair, with Pei Kee still not fully fit and forced to withdraw from the Indian Open and Indonesian Masters. However, Pei Kee stressed that she has no personal issues with the 28-year-old Mei Xing, and that her wish stems purely from a desire for a fresh start to help her career progress. Personally, I feel mentally tired, and Mei Xing is also getting older, so I do not want to waste her time. Pei Kee was previously partnered with Low Yeen Yuan while Mei Xing was playing with Anna Cheong.
Source:The Star
January 30, 2026 03:00 UTC
PUTRAJAYA (Jan 30): The government will not compromise with any civil servant found to have abused power or been involved in corruption, including those at the highest management level, said Chief Secretary to the Government Tan Sri Shamsul Azri Abu Bakar. He said that following recent developments involving arrests and investigations related to abuse of power, the public service would extend full cooperation to the authorities to ensure that investigations are conducted thoroughly and transparently. “The public service will not compromise at all in taking action against any civil servant in accordance with the prescribed legal framework if they are found guilty,” he said in a statement Friday. Shamsul Azri said the principle of rejecting abuse of power, corruption and governance misconduct is crucial to ensuring that the credibility of the public service is not tainted, while preventing actions that could erode public trust in the nation’s core institutions. In several previous statements, Anwar emphasised that firm action, regardless of rank or position, is necessary to ensure government governance is not undermined by corruption or leakages.
Source:The Edge Markets
January 30, 2026 02:53 UTC
PETALING JAYA: Social media or digital influencers, who get free products and gifts for reviews, should declare all their income and pay taxes – but it should not be a form of punishment, say creators. Content creation, they say, is seen as a real profession now, so it makes sense that it is treated like any other job. “At the end of the day, I think the bigger conversation is recognising content creation as a legitimate profession,” said Ceddy Ang, a food influencer and content creator. “But not all influencers are that organised, especially those who start off as hobby creators and suddenly get brand deals. Nithyaa said many influencers do not properly track income at the beginning, especially as it comes from many small jobs.
Source:The Star
January 30, 2026 02:24 UTC
KUALA LUMPUR: Another top-ranking military officer has been charged in court for alleged corruption. Armed Forces Joint Forces chief Mejar Jeneral Datuk Mohamed Fauzi Kamis pleaded not guilty at the Sessions Court to a charge of criminal breach of trust involving RM5mil. The 56-year-old said he understood the charge after it was read out before Sessions Court judge Suzana Hussin here on Friday (Jan 30). "I plead not guilty. I ask for a trial," he said.
Source:The Star
January 30, 2026 02:00 UTC
KUALA LUMPUR: For the first time, Malaysian Chinese business owners running micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) will have access to a dedicated RM100mil federal financing scheme, opening a new pathway to capital for business expansion, upgrading and long-term growth. The RM100mil allocation has been split between two implementing banks –RM50mil via SME Bank and RM50mil via Bank Rakyat – and will remain available until the end of the year or until the funds are fully utilised, whichever comes first. Applicants must be established MSMEs, in business for at least two years for SME Bank and three years for Bank Rakyat. The companies must be Malaysian Chinese-led, either with majority Chinese ownership or a key Chinese executive. Businesses seeking micro or SME financing through Bank Rakyat must also show a clean credit record, and for larger loans, a track record of profitability and healthy financials.
Source:The Star
January 30, 2026 01:56 UTC
GEORGE TOWN: Keeping his designs simple and traditional, kavadi maker K. Pragalathen uses neon ombre colours to make his creations stand out. The 45-year-old wants his kavadi to be affordable and accessible to devotees, with prices ranging from RM1,000 to RM1,200 depending on design, with basic ones priced at RM800. Kavadi is likely to be used only once, and I tell them not to choose elaborate decorations as the pricing varies. “I stick to traditional designs as kavadi is carried to fulfil vows,” he said when met at the Paya Terubong Community Management Council (MPKK) hall on Wednesday. The self-taught kavadi maker has been teaching his daughter P. Subhiksha, 10, the basics of designing and making kavadi.
Source:The Star
January 30, 2026 01:56 UTC