GOMBAK: Against the backdrop of chanting devotees and final preparations for Thaipusam, the Sri Subramaniar Temple in Batu Caves bustled with extra energy as the Prime Minister paid a visit. A golden silk shawl draped around his neck, the Prime Minister strolled around the various booths and stalls set up along the walkway leading to the temple, stopping by to chat with the traders. The Prime Minister’s presence drew the curiosity of devotees and the hordes of tourists who raised their handphones to capture the moment. Over 2.5 million people are expected to visit Batu Caves for Thaipusam which falls tomorrow. Several roads and intersections around the federal capital and Batu Caves will also be closed.
Source:The Star
January 30, 2026 23:37 UTC
WITH 2026 touted to be a big year for mergers and acquisitions (M&As) in Malaysia, the telecommunications sector is not to be left out. While it may not match the 2022 mega merger between Celcom and DiGi, there still could be some notable action.
Source:The Star
January 30, 2026 22:35 UTC
IPOH: Despite the price of gold surging past RM650 per gram, the folks here are not rushing to cash in their gold. Instead, many are choosing to hold on to their jewellery for its sentimental value and in anticipation of even higher prices. “I plan to save my gold for my children and once they are grown, the value will be higher too. Jewellery store owner A. Kuhaneswaran, 24, said he had seen about a 20% drop in customers selling gold, as many prefer to hold on. When met at a pawn shop here, technician K. Aravin Raj, 35, said he had no choice but to pawn his gold jewellery as he needed cash urgently.
Source:The Star
January 30, 2026 22:31 UTC
ASIAN economies proved remarkably resilient in 2025 despite an unprecedented global trade war backdrop. Vietnam’s gross domestic product (GDP) growth accelerated to around 8% in 2025, while Singapore’s economy expanded by 4.8%, exceeding trend growth for a second consecutive year.
Source:The Star
January 30, 2026 22:10 UTC
KOTA KINABALU: Sabah’s solar energy development continues to gain momentum, with the Energy Commission of Sabah (ECoS) playing a key role in strengthening Sabah’s energy security and advancing the state’s clean energy transition. These are made possible through the regulated development of renewable energy projects, particularly large-scale solar initiatives, said ECoS in a statement. Among these initiatives, the Teck Guan Solar Project stands out as one of the fastest progressing large-scale solar projects in Sabah, reflecting strong project execution and effective coordination between the developer, ECoS, and relevant stakeholders. It is expected to be completed in the fourth quarter of 2026, which will contribute significantly to Sabah’s renewable energy capacity upon completion. ECoS chief executive officer (CEO), Datuk Abdul Nasser Abdul Wahid said the development of renewable energy infrastructure such as large-scale solar projects is expected to generate positive economic growth among other things in Sabah.
Source:The Star
January 30, 2026 22:05 UTC
1 Kim Won-ho-Seo Seung-jae in the All-England final. 2 Aaron-Wooi Yik recently lost to the Koreans in the home Open final last month, Herry believes a different outcome is possible with fitter Malaysians. "I believe Aaron-Wooi Yik have a chance. "During two or three crucial points, Aaron-Wooi Yik made mistakes, and I feel that if it weren’t for those points, the result would have been different. "We have started the new physical strength programme on Thursday, and we can see that the players are responding well to it and are enthusiastic about training.
Source:The Star
January 30, 2026 20:55 UTC
KUALA LUMPUR: It was the Deputy Public Prosecutor who decided No Further Action (NFA) would be taken against former attorney general Tan Sri Mohamed Apandi Ali over allegations of covering up misconduct in the 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB) case, says Datuk Seri Azalina Othman Said (pic). "The investigation papers were then submitted to the Deputy Public Prosecutor, who decided that No Further Action be taken in respect of the said investigation in November 2025," she said in a parliamentary written reply dated Jan 29. However, Azalina said criminal offences are not subject to any statute of limitations. Home Minister Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution Ismail said on Jan 27 that police investigations into allegations that Mohamed Apandi covered up crimes committed by former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak had been classified as NFA. Saifuddin Nasution said police had investigated the claims under Section 217 of the Penal Code, which covers contravention of the law by a public officer to save a person from punishment or seizure of property.
Source:The Star
January 30, 2026 20:30 UTC
PETALING JAYA: National women’s doubles shuttler Teoh Mei Xing was left puzzled when she found out her partner, Go Pei Kee, wanted to split up. The 28-year-old Mei Xing said her year got off to a shaky start after getting word that Pei Kee wanted to part ways after they had spent a year and a half playing together on court. "It’s not a good year because on Jan 1, I heard from my coach that Pei Kee decided to end our partnership," said Mei Xing. But Pei Kee has made up her mind, and I can’t change it. "But I don’t know what Pei Kee is thinking because we don’t communicate well, and that’s also a reason why we can’t continue together," said Mei Xing.
Source:The Star
January 30, 2026 19:30 UTC
KUALA LUMPUR: The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) denies allegations circulating on TikTok of fake summonses issued by its officers. Describing the allegations as defamatory and misleading, the commission said it viewed the post uploaded on TikTok seriously as it contained accusations against the MACC. "The post alleged that 'fake summonses' had been issued by MACC officers and labelled the matter a 'scam'. The MACC said it has demanded an open apology and the immediate removal of the defamatory content. In a related development, MACC said it has obtained consent from the Attorney General's Chambers to prosecute the individual involved.
Source:The Star
January 30, 2026 17:39 UTC
PUTRAJAYA: THE government is considering offering free language lessons for young Malaysians in Putrajaya, says Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department (Federal Territories) Hannah Yeoh (pic). “When learning a new language, one needs a lot of practice using the language. Hold on to your seats: Visitors at the Putrajaya Open Day 2026 enjoying a fun ride. The Putrajaya Open Day 2026 will be held for four days, ending Feb 1, which is also the Federal Territory Day. Among the highlights are the presence of two elephants from the National Elephant Conservation Centre in Kuala Gandah, Pahang.
Source:The Star
January 30, 2026 17:33 UTC
The 16 shuttlers representing Putrajaya aged between 11 and 16 found their names deleted from the tournament which will start on Tuesday (Feb 4) in Johor. "Most of the 16 players are schooling in Selangor but they have been part of PJBA since they were around seven years old," said Khairuddin. "They have been representing Putrajaya and competing in junior tournaments for some time. "This means that BAM players cannot represent a state when they compete because they are well funded by the national body. "The parents of the 16 players came to my house yesterday (Thursday) night and begged me to help their children, so that they can play.
Source:The Star
January 30, 2026 15:49 UTC
PETALING JAYA: Malaysians must stand united and reject attempts to sow division and bigotry if the country is to flourish and realise its full potential, says Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim (pic). The Prime Minister said Malaysians, regardless of race or religion, should focus on uplifting one another, stressing that national success required collective effort. We must choose to succeed," he said on Friday (Jan 30) at the launch of the Cerita Malaysia Kita tourism campaign at Sunway Lagoon here. "This spirit must be reflected in everything we do – from our smiles and our work to our attitude. Also present were Tourism, Arts and Culture Minister Datuk Seri Tiong King Sing, Entrepreneur Development and Cooperatives Minister Steven Sim, Communications Minister Datuk Fahmi Fadzil and Sunway Group founder and chairman Tan Sri Dr Jeffrey Cheah.
Source:The Star
January 30, 2026 15:40 UTC
KUALA LUMPUR: U Mobile, Malaysia's newest 5G network provider, aims to play a catalytic role in Malaysia’s digitalisation journey with its neutral Enterprise Innovation Platform (EIP). The second group, Technology Partners, bring applied tools and vertical expertise to advance the development and validation of enterprise use cases. Technology Partners include Braintree Technologies, China Mobile International, Meraque Group and ZTE Malaysia. U Mobile chief technology officer Woon Ooi Yuen said, “U Mobile has a long history of innovation and we will be the first to say that innovation is key to the advancement of technology. As the nation’s newest 5G network provider, our latest initiative, Enterprise Innovation Platform is in line with our drive to promote innovation and adoption of 5G-A and AI solutions.
Source:The Star
January 30, 2026 15:34 UTC
KUALA LUMPUR: The Election Commission (EC) will decide on the redelineation of electoral boundaries for Peninsular Malaysia after the eight-year period ends on March 9, says Datuk Seri Azalina Othman Said (pic). "For Peninsula Malaysia states, the period from the previous review will end on March 9, 2026. Any decision regarding the implementation of a redelineation will only be determined by the EC after the expiry of this period," she said in a parliamentary written reply dated Jan 29. In Sabah, the eight-year period ended in February 2025 and the EC is currently in the process of considering its implementation, taking into account that the 17th Sabah Election concluded recently, she said. In the redelineation exercise, 98 parliamentary seats out of 165 involved were affected while 28 state seats had their names changed.
Source:The Star
January 30, 2026 15:34 UTC
PUTRAJAYA: A total of 1,399 private housing projects, comprising 167,423 units with a Gross Development Value (GDV) of RM133.78 billion, have been successfully revived since the establishment of the Task Force for Sick and Abandoned Private Housing Projects (TFST) in 2023. Of these, 109 projects were restored from ‘sick’ to ‘active’ status, while 1,265 sick projects were completed and obtained Certificates of Completion and Compliance (CCC). Deputy Minister of Housing and Local Government Datuk Aiman Athirah Sabu said 34 abandoned housing projects were also successfully revived, either through physical completion or by resolving issues with buyers. "As of Dec 31 last year, 161 private housing projects were classified as ‘delayed’, 349 as ‘sick’, and 99 as ‘abandoned’ nationwide. "This also aligns with the ministry’s commitment to gradually reduce the number of problematic projects and achieve zero abandoned housing projects by 2030,” she said.
Source:The Star
January 30, 2026 14:54 UTC