Tripoli – The Law Enforcement Department began operations today, Wednesday. The removal operation followed a 72-hour deadline. The Law Enforcement Department had issued this ultimatum. They comply with instructions from the Al-Khums Public Prosecution. It will go to the Al-Khums Public Prosecution.
Source:Libya Today
January 08, 2026 16:17 UTC
The head of the High Council of State (HCS), Mohammed Takala, met the European Union’s ambassador to Libya, Nicola Orlando, in Tripoli on Thursday. In a post on X, Orlando said the talks reviewed progress made so far, as well as outstanding challenges in implementing the political roadmap facilitated by the United Nations Support Mission in Libya. He said the meeting also discussed the importance of continued EU support for all parties and strengthening dialogue with the House of Representatives. Orlando stressed the need for an approachbased on inclusive, constructive engagement and good faith, in order to move the political process forward. He also underlined the importance of preserving the unity of the Libyan state and its institutions, and ensuring the continuity of public governance across the country, describing this as essential to safeguarding Libya’s economy.
Source:Libya Observer
January 08, 2026 15:48 UTC
The Ministry of Local Government has launched a national initiative to address the threat of stray dogs and prevent rabies. This follows a multi-agency meeting with health, veterinary, and environmental bodies. Officials warn that the growing stray dog population in residential areas poses a direct public safety risk due to the fatal rabies virus. The strategy will adopt the integrated "One Health" approach. Authorities have agreed to enhance coordination and will convene a broader meeting soon to finalize and approve the comprehensive national action plan.
Source:Libya Observer
January 08, 2026 09:16 UTC
Addressing the concluding session of the 73rd Indian Science Congress, he said that what Indian science and technology lacked was management awareness. Punjab’s steps to curb terrorThe Punjab Government ordered drastic steps to curb terrorist activity which claimed seven lives during the last 24 hours and prepared to meet any situation arising out of the proposed “rasta roko” stir of the All India Sikh Students Federation (AISSF) on January 10. The Chief Minister of Punjab, Surjit Singh Barnala, told a meeting of senior police officials that he wanted “result-oriented” action to curb terrorist violence. Libya expecting Israeli attackMost of Tripoli was blacked out and an aide to Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi predicted a US-aided Israeli strike against Libya could come at any time. Libyan officials, in similar meetings with envoys from Western Europe, Africa and Asia, said they expected Libya to be attacked.
Source:Libya Today
January 08, 2026 02:00 UTC
For more on stories like these, be sure to check out our News page, with stories from across the regions. It remains unclear how much aid is affected, as U.S. foreign assistance has been sharply reduced and country-by-country figures have not been released. Authorities say the vessel was overcrowded and in poor condition, with more than 200 people believed to have been on board. South Africa denies arresting U.S. officials and rejects claims that white South Africans face racial persecution, calling those allegations unfounded. The dispute has unfolded as President Donald Trump’s administration pushes the program, cuts aid to South Africa, and sidelines it from G20 engagements, while South Africa says future talks must be based on facts and mutual respect.
Source:Libya Today
January 08, 2026 00:27 UTC
Libya – Economic reports highlighted the “Libyan oil story”. It manifested as companies participating in Libya’s first licensing round since 2011. They invest in the Libyan oil sector. Most Libyan oil is sweet, light, and high-quality. Reports emphasized the Libyan oil sector’s fragility.
Source:Libya Today
January 07, 2026 20:51 UTC
Discriminatory laws and poor enforcement foster victim-blaming and harmful stereotypes, enabling impunity for perpetrators in League of Arab States countries. Equality Now’s report, In Search of Justice: Rape Laws in the Arab States, identifies how discriminatory penal codes and poor enforcement of laws foster victim-blaming, perpetuate harmful stereotypes, and enable perpetrators to evade criminal liability. Various forms of sexual violence are not adequately recognised legally, and critically, no Arab League country has explicitly criminalised marital rape. RAPE LAWS BASED ON FORCE, NOT CONSENTMost LAS countries use force-based definitions of rape, failing to recognise sex without free and informed consent as rape. Equality Now’s examination of rape laws around the world has found that stigma and victim-blaming fuel silence and re-victimisation globally.
Source:Libya Today
January 07, 2026 20:40 UTC
The Military Academy in Tripoli has marked the sixth anniversary of the cadets killed in an attack on its training yard on 4 January 2020. The Tripoli Military College attack - occurred during the offensive on Tripoli- was carried out by Khalifa Hafter's forces against the UN-recognised Government of National Accord. On that day, an airstrike killed at least 30 cadets and wounded dozens more while they were on the parade ground at the academy in the Hadaba area south of Tripoli. They praised efforts by the General Staff and the academy to secure the rights of the families of those killed and injured. Officials meeting relatives expressed solidarity with them, saying the military institution would continue to support the families and work to ensure they receive their entitlements.
Source:Libya Observer
January 07, 2026 20:16 UTC
Offices of the High National Elections Commission (HNEC) in cities and regions across eastern and western Libya have called for keeping the HNEC's administration from political polarization and for preserving its unity and stability. The statements were issued by election administration offices in Tripoli, Sabha, Tobruk, Al-Khums, Al-Aziziya, Sirte, Al-Marj, Benghazi, Al-Zawiya, the Western Mountains, Al-Nawahi Al-Arbaa, Ghadames, Tarhuna–Msallata, and the Western Coast. Offices in Benghazi, Sirte, Tobruk, and Al-Marj stressed the importance of adhering to clearly defined legal competencies and respecting the applicable legislative frameworks, especially the role of the representative legislative authority embodied in the House of Representatives. The dispute over the HNEC began after the House of Representatives issued a decision during its most recent session on December 29 to complete the composition of the Commission’s board. Last Monday, Al-Kamishi won the position of HNEC chairperson in a vote held by the High Council of State, which also announced that it would convene another session next week to elect the remaining three members.
Source:Libya Observer
January 07, 2026 20:16 UTC
Turkish Transport Minister Abdulkadir Uraloğlu said investigations have shown damage to the flight data recorder (black box) and cockpit voice recorder of Al-Haddad plane that crashed in the Haymana area south of Ankara. Speaking before the Turkish Grand National Assembly, Uraloğlu explained that due to the limited number of countries capable of decoding such data, it was decided to conduct the analysis in the United Kingdom. Earlier, Libyan Minister of Transport Mohamed Al-Shahoubi announced that the United Kingdom had agreed to analyze the aircraft’s black box, adding that he had received the British ambassador to follow up on the technical procedures. Al-Shahoubi said at a press conference in early January that coordination was underway with the Turkish transport minister to support the joint investigation and reach the true causes of the incident, reaffirming the government’s commitment to presenting the findings to the public with full transparency. Meanwhile, the Head of the Libyan Civil Aviation Authority, Mohamed Shlaibek, noted that it is currently not possible to predict the time required to read and analyze the black box data.
Source:Libya Observer
January 07, 2026 18:36 UTC
A handover ceremony has been held in Tripoli for the leadership of the Libyan state-owned telecoms holding company. The outgoing chairman, Youssef Abu Zuwida, formally handed over responsibilities to the new chairman, Ali bin Gharbia, in a process carried out under approved legal and regulatory procedures, the company said. In a statement on its official Facebook page, the Libyan Post, Telecommunications and Information Technology Holding Company (LPTIC) said the move was intended to ensure an orderly transfer of duties and maintain institutional stability. It added that the handover was part of efforts to reinforce continuity, support ongoing work towards the company’s objectives, and help advance the development of the telecommunications sector in the public interest.
Source:Libya Observer
January 07, 2026 17:52 UTC
Benghazi – Sultana Al-Mismari called on local media. She urged media to fulfill its awareness and community role. Examples are harassment, physical violence, and child abandonment. She urged Libyan media to exercise its ethical and professional responsibility. Media should deal firmly and clearly with children’s issues.
Source:Libya Today
January 07, 2026 17:12 UTC
The Libyan Iron and Steel Company (LISCO) has signed an agreement with a US firm to build a 25-megawatt solar power plant, its chairman Mohamed Abdelmalik Al-Fqih said, calling for stronger government support for renewables. He was speaking after talks in Tripoli with the National Oil Corporation on energy and gas cooperation and plans to localise industry. The two sides agreed to form a join committee to supply pipelines for the oil and gas sector. LISCO’s gas needs are expected to rise from about 80–85 million cubic feet per day to around 205 million. The NOC chairman stressed the importance of expanding alternative energy sources.
Source:Libya Observer
January 07, 2026 14:59 UTC
The Public Prosecutor has ordered the detention of two former managers at the National Commercial Bank branch at Sebha University, along with current-account officers and the branch accountant, pending investigation. In a statement, the prosecutor’s office said the Anti-Corruption Prosecution in Sebha is investigating the alleged misappropriation of 1.092 million dinars from the bank. Investigators say the suspects used the number of a cheque originally issued for 500 dinars to transfer the stolen funds into the account of an associate, who then withdrew the money in cash. The prosecution has ordered the four suspects be remanded in custody and issued an arrest warrant for the head of accounts believed to be involved in the case.
Source:Libya Observer
January 07, 2026 13:13 UTC