General News of Monday, 16 February 2026Source: www.ghanaweb.comFollowing viral videos showing a Russian “pick-up artist” interacting with some Ghanaian women in Accra, the Embassy of the Russian Federation in Ghana has responded to the public outrage. In a post on its X (formerly Twitter) account on February 16, 2026, the embassy said it had “taken note” of media reports concerning the alleged videos. However, the embassy did not indicate any specific action it intends to take regarding the matter. Secret Filming of Ghanaian Women: Russian man to be extradited to Ghana – Sam GeorgeThe response follows widespread backlash on social media from Ghanaian and other African users over videos allegedly involving a man identified as Vyacheslav Trahov, also known as Yaytseslav. The videos were shared across platforms including Telegram, TikTok, and YouTube, with more explicit content reportedly placed behind paywalls.
Source:GhanaWeb
February 16, 2026 14:57 UTC
General News of Monday, 16 February 2026Source: www.ghanaweb.comThe Minister of the Interior, Mohammed-Mubarak Muntaka, has provided a detailed account of how Ghanaian tomato traders were caught up in a terrorist attack in Titao, Burkina Faso on Saturday, February 14, 2026. Ghanaian tomato traders caught in terrorist attack in Burkina Faso - Ministry of InteriorAccording to the minister, the traders were attacked in one town, resulting in targeted killings. Burkina Faso Terrorist Attack: 7 Ghanaians reportedly killedMuntaka confirmed that among those on one truck were ten men, including the driver, and eight women. The government has confirmed that a truck conveying tomato traders from Ghana was caught up in a terrorist attack in Burkina Faso, on Saturday, February 14, 2026. Watch the video below :Interior Minister, Muntaka Mubarak gives a full account of what happened to the tomato traders in Burkina Faso, the casualties and what the state is doing to find safe passage for the Ghanaian survivors back home.
Source:GhanaWeb
February 16, 2026 14:09 UTC
Politics of Monday, 16 February 2026Source: www.ghanaweb.comThe General Secretary of the National Democratic Congress (NDC), Fifi Fiavi Kwetey, has indicated that President John Dramani Mahama would “soon” reshuffle his government. Speaking in an interview on TV3’s Hot Issues, the NDC General Secretary asserted that despite the excellent performance of Mahama’s first year in office, a reshuffle would make things even better. And from what I pick up in the corridors, yes, we definitely are going to be having the reshuffle,” he said. Asked if the reshuffle would be “sometime soon”, Fifi Kwetey retorted, "I wouldn't be able to say how soon but definitely (there would be a reshuffle)”. ‘Bootlicking of the highest order’ – Fifi Kwetey descends on NDC members calling for a 3rd term for MahamaWatch a video of his remarks below:BAI
Source:GhanaWeb
February 16, 2026 14:07 UTC
Hajia would cook and say, leader, come and eat. After operations, he would pick my call and say, ‘Leader, this one forgive me’, and I would say, ‘I understand’,” Afenyo-Markin said. Afenyo went on to say that because of the close relationship he shared with the late Ayawaso, he went to the cemetery for the first time in his adult life. He indicated that he made sure he was present in the cemetery to take part in his friend’s burial rites to honour him. I felt satisfied because it was a true brother who shared with me the relevant code of life,” he added.
Source:GhanaWeb
February 16, 2026 14:07 UTC
General News of Monday, 16 February 2026Source: www.ghanaweb.comDeputy Minister of Communications, Digital Technology and Innovations, Mohammed Adams Sukparu, has confirmed that he is safe and recovering steadily following a road accident last week. “Alhamdulillah, by the mercy of Almighty Allah, I am safe and currently receiving medical care. I am recovering well and have been advised by medical professionals to rest and observe a period of recuperation,” he said. Iddrisu, Sukparu recovering at 37 Military Hospital after accidentSukparu expressed gratitude to President John Dramani Mahama, Vice President Jane Naana Opoku-Agyemang, Speaker of Parliament Alban Bagbin, Chief of Staff Julius Debrah, and Communications Minister Samuel Nartey George for their support. Sukparu acknowledged the timely assistance of Issah Mohammed Bataglia, MP for Sissala East, and praised the medical teams at Tumu Municipal Hospital and 37 Military Hospital for their care.
Source:GhanaWeb
February 16, 2026 13:57 UTC
As of 2025 Ghana relies on imports for approximately 60-70 percent of its rice consumption, with local production meeting roughly 30-40 percent of demand. Price trendsThe USDA explained that pricing is a plausible factor in the patronage and consumption of foreign rice in Ghana. For instance, in early 2025, a 25kg bag of Thai fragrant rice averaged GH¢690, Vietnamese rice sold at GH¢490 and local long-grain rice traded around GH¢535. Although campaigns urging Ghanaians to “eat local rice” have receded, they boosted awareness in the past. Current interventions by governmentPresident Mahama’s plan for rice production focuses on achieving self-sufficiency and reducing import dependency through the ‘Feed Ghana’ programme.
Source:GhanaWeb
February 16, 2026 13:48 UTC
Business News of Monday, 16 February 2026Source: www.ghanaweb.comA truck carrying Ghanaian tomato traders was involved in a terrorist attack in Titao, Burkina Faso, on Saturday, February 14, 2026, the Ministry of the Interior has confirmed. Titao, located in northern Burkina Faso, has repeatedly been the target of armed assaults and has faced threats from Islamist militants since 2019. Burkina Faso Ambassador pays courtesy call on Minister of EducationThe Ministry assured that additional updates would be shared with the public as more information becomes available. See the statement below:To All Media HousesThe Government of Ghana has received disturbing information from Burkina Faso of a truck carrying Tomato Traders from Ghana which was caught in a Terrorist attack in Titao, Burkina Faso on Saturday 14 February 2026. The Ghana Embassy in Burkina Faso is liaising with the officials of Burkina Faso to visit the attack site for details and identification of Ghanaians caught in the attack.
Source:GhanaWeb
February 16, 2026 13:45 UTC
Speaking in an interview with Nana Romeo on Okay FM on February 13, 2026, King Jerry stated that although he once admired Tinny, their relationship has deteriorated. According to King Jerry, Tinny’s involvement in his management affairs created tension between him and his former manager, eventually affecting his contract with a record label. King Jerry also alleged that Tinny deliberately created tension between him and his manager by involving both of them in calls without his consent. King Jerry further revealed that he is currently unsigned and personally funding his music career. “I’m no longer under any record label, I’ve been the one trying hard to push my music,” he added.
Source:GhanaWeb
February 16, 2026 13:37 UTC
General News of Monday, 16 February 2026Source: www.ghanaweb.comFormer Vice President and newly elected New Patriotic Party (NPP) Flagbearer, Dr Mahamudu Bawumia, has described as encouraging, steps members of the party have taken to come together, following what many have described as a bitter presidential primaries. At the party's national thanksgiving service in Accra on Sunday, February 15, 2026, Dr Bawumia acknowledged the raucous nature of the just ended primaries, but also said reconciliation efforts he has seen from party members to one another is promising. Elections can leave scars that may not show on the surface but can sometimes cut deeply," Dr Bawumia said, before quoting Biblical texts preaching patience, forgiveness and reconciliation. "I have been encouraged by the efforts I have seen many of you make to reach out to your brothers and sisters after the election. What we have to do, is to deepen our concentration on what we have in common and put less emphasis on what we differ on."
Source:GhanaWeb
February 16, 2026 12:04 UTC
Politics of Monday, 16 February 2026Source: www.ghanaweb.comTano North Member of Parliament, Dr Gideon Boako, has taken a decisive step to unite the New Patriotic Party (NPP) in the Tano North Constituency following the party’s recently concluded presidential primaries. “Yesterday, I hosted key stakeholders at my home, including the coordinators for all five contestants of the just-ended presidential elections,” Dr Boako wrote. He also expressed deep appreciation to party elders, patrons, clergy, and campaign coordinators for their guidance and commitment to unity. Your wisdom, guidance, prayers, and unwavering commitment to the unity and progress of our Party are deeply appreciated,” he said. Closing his message, Dr Boako stressed the importance of collective purpose for the party’s success.
Source:GhanaWeb
February 16, 2026 11:37 UTC
In a video sighted by GhanaWeb on February 16, 2026, Prophet Opambour, while preaching on national television, stated that the women involved in the scandal lack self-respect. According to him, the women have not embarrassed Ghana’s reputation but rather themselves. Not even Trump can compare himself to Mahama's government – Opambour“They can’t embarrass Ghana or John Mahama’s reputation. Prophet Opambour further argued that the women would not have engaged in such acts if they had received proper upbringing and guidance. BackgroundA man identified as Yaytseslav, who claims to be Russian, has been trending in Ghana after videos of his interactions with several Ghanaian women surfaced online on February 12, 2026.
Source:GhanaWeb
February 16, 2026 11:18 UTC
Sports News of Monday, 16 February 2026Source: ghanasoccernet.comSpanish giants Real Madrid are finalising a deal to sign Ghanaian starlet Clifford Nana Boadi Kusi-Gyamfuaa. According to Spanish journalist Matteo Moretto, the 16-year-old winger is expected to sign his contract at Valdebebas in the coming days. Nana had his talent honed at the La Masia academy until 2023. This season, he has scored six goals in 15 games for CF Damm. He is renowned for his power, speed, and clinical finishing.
Source:GhanaWeb
February 16, 2026 11:12 UTC
Sports News of Monday, 16 February 2026Source: www.ghanaweb.comAccra Hearts of Oak goalkeeper, Benjamin Asare remains confident that his side can still challenge for the 2025/26 Ghana Premier League title. Baba Adamu’s first-half header sealed the victory for the Phobians, closing the gap on league leaders Medeama SC. Reflecting on their title ambitions, Asare said: "Yes, anyone can still win it. This win today will help us be more aggressive and focused in our upcoming matches," Asare added. The win lifts Hearts of Oak to the third position with 39 points.
Source:GhanaWeb
February 16, 2026 11:06 UTC
General News of Monday, 16 February 2026Source: www.ghanaweb.comThe Minority Leader, Alexander Afenyo-Markin, has urged members of the New Patriotic Party (NPP) to remain resolute and united, stressing that arrest should not be seen as a disgrace for politicians. Addressing party faithful, Afenyo-Markin cautioned that attempts could be made to divide the party through intimidation tactics, including arrests, particularly under the Mahama-led National Democratic Congress (NDC) government. Afenyo-Markin decries arrests of NPP loyalistsHe further warned that such tactics could intensify when political pressure mounts. (Every) now and then, when their back is against the wall, they will come with all manner of arrests,” he stated. Afenyo-Markin’s comments come amid heightened political tensions as parties begin positioning themselves ahead of the next electoral season.
Source:GhanaWeb
February 16, 2026 10:56 UTC