U.S. forces destroyed three Iranian-backed Houthi uncrewed surface vessels in the Red Sea in the past 24 hours, U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) said on Saturday. Separately, the Houthis launched three anti-ship ballistic missiles into the Gulf of Aden but there were no injuries or significant damage reported by U.S., coalition, or merchant vessels, CENTCOM added. The U.S. military’s Central Command also dismissed as “categorically false” recent claims about a successful attack by Houthi forces on the Dwight D. Eisenhower aircraft carrier. “All crew members are reported safe, and the vessel is proceeding to its next port of call,” UKMTO said in an advisory note. In a separate note, Ambrey identified the vessel as a “Liberia-flagged fully cellular container ship,” without providing its name.
Source:Libya Today
June 23, 2024 11:09 UTC
Before the 2011 revolution that toppled Muammar Gaddafi and led to a bloody civil war in Libya, China had vast interests in the oil-rich North African nation. Recently, signs have begun to emerge that China is ready to return to the energy-rich, yet still politically divided, country. On June 10, Libyan Minister of Economy and Trade Mohamed al Hwej issued a directive to activate the Libyan-Chinese Joint Economic Chamber. He said that Libya exported US$36 billion worth of oil in 2023 and China accounted for US$2.2 billion of this total. “Engaging in economic cooperation and infrastructure projects with Libya advances two Chinese goals – achieving energy security and increasing China’s influence in Africa.”
Source:Libya Today
June 23, 2024 09:39 UTC
Necessary CookiesThis cookie is used to distinguish between humans and bots. This is beneficial for the web site, in order to make valid reports on the use of their web site. Performance/Analytical CookiesRegisters a unique ID that is used to generate statistical data on how the visitor uses the website.Used by Google Analytics to throttle request rate. Accept RejectAdvertising/Marketing CookiesThis cookie is used to collect information on consumer behavior, which is sent to Alexa Analytics. (Alexa Analytics is an Amazon company.)
Source:Libya Today
June 23, 2024 05:19 UTC
The Palestinian Health Ministry said Hoshiya died from his wounds after being shot by Israeli forces in Ramallah last week. (AP Photo/Nasser Nasser)By WAFAA SHURAFA and JACK JEFFERYAt least 39 people were killed by Israeli strikes across northern Gaza on Saturday, as rescue workers scrambled to find survivors beneath the rubble, according to Palestinian and hospital officials. Fadel Naem, director of the al-Ahli Hospital in Gaza City, told The Associated Press that more than three dozen bodies arrived at the hospital. Israel said Saturday that its fighter jets struck two Hamas military sites in the Gaza City area but did not elaborate further. Israel captured the West Bank, along with the Gaza Strip and east Jerusalem, in the 1967 Mideast war.
Source:Libya Today
June 23, 2024 03:07 UTC
Where Libya's revolution began, many now yearn for a strong handBy Ulf LaessingBENGHAZI, Libya (Reuters) - Sitting in his cafe near the spot where the protests against Muammar Gaddafi touched off the Libyan revolution eight years ago, Miftah Atluba is not sorry the dictator has gone. Pictures of a sombre Haftar, dressed in uniform, have adorned Benghazi's streets since his Libyan National Army (LNA) expelled their enemies. Many Haftar supporters see little point in reconciling with opponents, whom they call "terrorists" or "Muslim Brothers". But many LNA supporters are sceptical about dialogue. When asked about a possible offensive towards Tripoli, LNA spokesman Ahmed Mismari said only: "The army (LNA) is charge of protecting the whole of Libya."
Source:Libya Today
June 23, 2024 00:11 UTC
Amid rising tensions between Hezbollah and Israel, Kuwait has issued a stark advisory to its citizens in Lebanon, urging them to depart the country promptly. Kuwait’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs has cautioned against travel to Lebanon because of ongoing security developments in the region. The ministry’s statement specifically encouraged Kuwaiti citizens currently in Lebanon to leave as soon as possible, unless faced with urgent circumstances. Meanwhile, recent developments have seen heightened tensions between Lebanon and Israel, with the Israeli military reportedly preparing operational plans for a potential offensive on Lebanon as of June 18. Israeli Foreign Minister Israel Katz indicated the possibility of a significant shift in strategy against Hezbollah and Lebanon, warning of severe consequences in the event of a broader conflict.
Source:Libya Today
June 22, 2024 16:04 UTC
Italian authorities conducted an operation at the port of Gioia Tauro, seizing a cargo ship allegedly carrying millions of dollars worth of weapons from China to forces loyal to Khalifa Haftar in eastern Libya, according to Corriere della Sera. On June 18, they intercepted the large container ship in the southwestern port of Gioia Tauro, where they confiscated its cargo. After stopping at the ports of Valencia and Barcelona in Spain, it reached Gioia Tauro on June 18. U.S. officials reportedly decided to seize the weapons when the ship arrived in Italy, possibly requesting assistance from their Italian allies. Following the June 18 operation, the MSC Arina departed Gioia Tauro on June 20, continuing its journey in the western Mediterranean.
Source:Libya Today
June 22, 2024 15:58 UTC
Sheikh Hasina said, both countries have endorsed the Vision Declaration to guide us towards a peaceful and prosperous future. Sheikh Hasina said, today we had a very fruitful meeting between the two sides. Sheikh Hasina said, I believe, these discussions will give us important direction in determining the better way of cooperation with each other. Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina also said, 'I sincerely thank the Government of India for extending warm hospitality to me and my delegation. Sheikh Hasina gratefully recalled the contribution of the Indian government and people to the independence of Bangladesh.
Source:Libya Today
June 22, 2024 00:56 UTC
Based on an invitation from the Commercial Section of the Canadian Embassy in Libya, an oil and gas delegation from the Libyan Business Council (LBC) attended the Global Energy Show Canada held in Calgary from 11-13 June. The LBC Media and External Relations Consultant, Tarek Smuee, told Libya Herald that 20 members attended the event where they held B2B meetings with various Canadian companies of different specialisations in the energy sector, including renewables. The meetings, he added, were fruitful with the Canadian companies expressing the desire to work with the Libyan private sector to enter the Libyan market and provide it with the latest knowhow and technology in the sector. Peter Cahill, Regional Trade Commissioner, welcomed the LBC delegation, which Smuee said was the first delegation of this size to visit Canada for more than 10 years, adding that the Canadian Embassy in Libya also welcomed the return of Libyan trade delegations to its country.
Source:Libya Today
June 21, 2024 17:06 UTC
Warning of imminent disaster in Kufra due to Sudanese refugees http://lyo.ly/5kkdOil Minister decries inability to resume his duties http://lyo.ly/5kkaTurkey welcomes Libya's voter registration for municipal elections, urges broad participation http://lyo.ly/5kk7Dbeibah extends condolences to Chadian president after deadly ammunition explosion http://lyo.ly/5kk6Libya blames foreign powers for ongoing crisis, demands end to interference http://lyo.ly/5kk0Libyan Basketball League enters its final stage http://lyo.ly/5kk1LFF reveals stadiums in which Libyan PL finals will be played http://lyo.ly/5kkcMinistry of Health to organize ‘Healthcare Forum and Exhibition’ http://lyo.ly/5kkbThree people and infant died in traffic accident in Al-Jufra http://lyo.ly/5kjsTwo bodies recovered on Sabratha coast http://lyo.ly/5kjrKoury discusses with Maltese ambassador support for political process in Libya http://lyo.ly/5kjpHNEC announces resumption of work of its calling center http://lyo.ly/5kjoReopening of Ras Jadir border crossing postponed to next Monday http://lyo.ly/5kjnKoury: There is consensus among Libyan people about the need to advance the political process, as the status quo is not sustainable http://lyo.ly/5kjmSudan's delegate to UN Security Council accuses Haftar and UAE of supporting Hemedti's forces http://lyo.ly/5kjkTwo migrant ships sank off Italy’s coast, one of them coming from Libya http://lyo.ly/5kjjAfriqiyah Airways announces pilgrim return flights http://lyo.ly/5kjhU.S. ambassador hails entrepreneurship training in Libya http://lyo.ly/5kjgPM Dbeibah mourns loss of former Warfalla Council head Al-Barghouthi http://lyo.ly/5kj8Saadawi: US elections, EU shifts to impact stalled Libyan crisis http://lyo.ly/5kj7
Source:Libya Observer
June 21, 2024 15:27 UTC
Aker BP has made a new gas discovery in the Barents Sea on the Norwegian Continental Shelf. At the same time, the rival western government in Tripoli will be getting nervous about the rise of this private family army in the east. At the same time, the rival western government in Tripoli will be getting nervous about the rise of this private family army in the east. Discovery & DevelopmentAker BP has made a new gas discovery in the Barents Sea on the Norwegian Continental Shelf. Former BP CEO Tony Hayward will chair the new venture, focused on boosting offshore gas production to serve European and North African markets.
Source:Libya Today
June 21, 2024 12:03 UTC
Türkiye welcomed the announcement by the Higher National Electoral Commission (HNEC) that voter registration for municipal council elections in Libya has begun. The Turkish Embassy called on all segments of the Libyan population to actively participate in the elections. The embassy emphasized the importance of local elections as a crucial step toward demonstrating the Libyan people’s readiness and capacity to organize national-level elections. It also reiterated Ankara’s strong support for the electoral process in Libya and endorsed the efforts of the HNEC and the U.N. Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) to ensure inclusive, fair, and transparent elections.
Source:Libya Today
June 21, 2024 07:24 UTC
Acclaimed Egyptologist Dr. Zahi Hawass stated that the opinions announced by a group of Afrocentrists inside the Egyptian Museum in Tahrir have no basis in truth and are fantasies. He explained that the Black Kingdom of Kush ruled Egypt in 500 B.C., at the end of the Pharaonic civilization. When the Kingdom of Kush ruled Egypt, it did not leave any impact, it was the Egyptian civilization that influenced those people. Hawass pointed out that we will find that the features of the Egyptian king are different and do not show any characteristics that suggest he was Black. Hawass clarified that the Afrocentric movement aims to create confusion by spreading false and misleading information that the origin of Egyptian civilization is Black.
Source:Libya Today
June 20, 2024 22:37 UTC
Libya's UN representative, Taher El-Sonni, says that foreign interventions are the leading cause of the country's ongoing crisis. Speaking at the UN Security Council session on Libya on Wednesday, El-Sonni conveyed dismay regarding the ongoing impasse and lectures on necessary actions while rebuking other nations for exploiting Libya for their own agendas. Noting that 2.8 million Libyans registered for elections three years ago are still awaiting their conduct, El-Sonni called for clear answers regarding the political process obstructions. El-Sonni referenced Stephanie Koury's briefing, indicating no progress in the political process while stressing the importance of continuing the political process from the points of agreement reached so far. I believe it is time to leave Libya alone," El-Sonni added.
Source:Libya Observer
June 20, 2024 16:24 UTC
In Libya we are being asked to make a choice between two unacceptable choices, continuation of the government in Tripoli or its overthrow by the West. This breaches the provisions of UN Security Council resolution 1973, forbidding the provision of arms to anyone in Libya, not just the government in Tripoli. Britain, France and the US are no friends of the Arab revolution. The regime’s enemies have wanted it for years, and now the Arab revolution is giving them the opportunity. Like Iraq, Libya will have been destroyed as a unitary Arab state.
Source:Libya Today
June 20, 2024 11:06 UTC