Sudan's Burhan says army stepping back for civilian govtSudanese anti-coup protesters gather on a blockaded street during a sit-in outside al-Jawda hospital in the capital KhartoumKHARTOUM - Sudan's coup leader Abdel Fattah al-Burhan said Monday the army would make way for a civilian government and would "not participate" in national talks facilitated by the UN and regional blocs. In the weeks following the coup, the military and civilian leaders had promised general elections in July 2023. Sudan's main civilian players had boycotted the talks with military leaders launched under international auspices last month in an effort to restore the transition. - Ruling body dissolving -But Sudan's main civilian bloc, the Forces for Freedom and Change (FFC), which was ousted from power in the coup, and the influential Umma party refused to join. The new supreme council will only be in charge of "defence and security" issues, Burhan said.
Source: Bangkok Post July 05, 2022 00:49 UTC