Catholic priest Fr Magnus Murray pleaded guilty to 10 charges relating to offences against four Dunedin boys, dating back to between 1958 and 1972, in 2003. A paedophile priest from Dunedin has finally been defrocked by the Vatican, more than 50 years after his offending was first revealed. Hamilton Bishop Steve Lowe confirmed today Magnus Murray, now aged in his 90s and receiving hospital-level care at an Auckland rest home, had been defrocked following a judicial process at the Vatican. Bishop Lowe said the process began in February last year, but had been "a complicated process because of Murray's age and health''. "Along with recent pronouncements from the Vatican this is another signal that sexual abuse has no place in the Church,'' Bishop Lowe said.
Source: Otago Daily Times May 22, 2019 04:55 UTC