Mlangeni had been the first recruit who Mandela, the first commander of uMkhonto weSizwe (MK), lured to the armed wing. In an interview with City Press in 2017, Mlangeni recalled that the path to the armed route was not an easy one for the ANC. Ke ntho ya hao [It is your thing],” they told Mandela. Mandela would later select Mlangeni as the first recruit, after making him do a few push-ups to test his fitness. [I was a] backroom boy – that is where they took the title from.” Andrew MlangeniHis voice cracking, Mlangeni told City Press: “I am sad.
Source: News 24 July 22, 2020 17:15 UTC