Justice Douglas Thompson says in a written decision that the factors in favour of extending the injunction at Fairy Creek north of Port Renfrew do not outweigh the public interest in protecting the court’s reputation. Thompson’s ruling also lifted the injunction on Tuesday afternoon. “In the current circumstances, I am not persuaded that the balance of convenience favours extending the injunction,” Thompson writes in his 32-page decision. Forest company Teal Cedar Products Ltd. applied for a one-year extension of the injunction during court hearings in Nanaimo earlier this month, arguing protests were impeding the company’s legal rights to harvest timber. “It’s really hard to say right now what’s going to happen on the ground out there.”During the court hearings, a lawyer for the Mounties said police were being tasked with enforcing a court injunction under increasingly difficult circumstances.
Source: thestar September 28, 2021 23:52 UTC