46 years after actor Balraj Sahni’s ‘radical’ speech, JNU to host its 2nd convocation - News Summed Up

46 years after actor Balraj Sahni’s ‘radical’ speech, JNU to host its 2nd convocation


The first and only convocation at JNU was held in 1972, when noted actor and theatre personality Balraj Sahni had given the convocation address, which Kamal Mitra Chenoy, a professor at the Centre for Comparative Politics and Political Theory, describes at a “radical speech” . This was said to be a different speech than what had been approved by the then Vice-Chancellor G Parthasarathi. “The media picked it up, because it was a big deal for a student to say such things, that too at their convocation,” Chenoy said. The president of the JNU student’s union Geeta Kumari said they did not have a problem with holding a convocation “but it depends on who they call as the guests”. The bigger question is, as one student put it: “Will history repeat itself on the campus this year?”


Source: Hindustan Times January 29, 2018 01:37 UTC



Loading...
Loading...
  

Loading...

                           
/* -------------------------- overlay advertisemnt -------------------------- */