JERTIH: A contractor lost nearly RM108,000 after falling victim to a non-existent tender scam. The victim agreed to purchase five portable generators worth RM107,995 and made five payments to a company account provided by the suspect between Feb 10 and 12. However, checks with the agency later confirmed that no such tender had been issued. Realising he had been duped, the victim lodged a police report at the Besut District Police Headquarters yesterday. Police have advised the public to verify tender offers with the relevant agencies and not be lured by promises of quick profits.
Source:The Star
February 17, 2026 11:30 UTC
PETALING JAYA: Bersatu's youth wing clarified that committee members of the party's branches do not have the authority to announce the dissolution of their branches, warning that such actions are unconstitutional. Armada's information chief, Harris Idham Rashid, said there are no provisions in the party's constitution that allow a branch to be dissolved by its committee. "Even a branch leader has no authority to dissolve their branch. Only the party's supreme council, chaired by the president, has the power to decide on the dissolution of branches. Harris said it had recently come to Armada's attention that several of the party's branch committees had announced that their respective branches were dissolved following the resignation of several members.
Source:The Star
February 17, 2026 11:30 UTC
KUCHING: A man has been reported missing, believed to have been attacked by a crocodile while fishing under the Sungai Buloh Bridge in Sadong Jaya, approximately 40km from here, on Tuesday (Feb 17). The Sarawak Operations Control Centre of the Malaysian Fire and Rescue Department issued a statement saying an emergency call was received at 12.40pm. "According to witnesses at the scene, the victim, identified as Mohd Faizal Abdilah, 30, was reportedly fishing along the riverbank with a friend. "The victim is said to have waded waist-deep into the river while casting a net when he was attacked by a crocodile,” the statement read. The department added that search and rescue operations are currently underway.
Source:The Star
February 17, 2026 11:29 UTC
PETALING JAYA: Immediate assistance has been channelled to families affected by the floods in Manjoi, Ipoh, says Anwar Ibrahim. Since yesterday (Feb 16) I have been receiving continuous reports and have channelled immediate aid to families affected by this disaster," he said. Earlier, media reported 26 people from 10 families were evacuated to Al-Ghufron Mosque in Manjoi after floodwaters submerged their homes in Kampung Manjoi and Kampung Tengku Hussein on Monday night. According to a spokesman from the Kinta District Civil Defence Force District Operations Control Centre, nine families comprising 22 people were affected in Kampung Manjoi, while one family of four was displaced in Kampung Tengku Hussein. Flash floods hit several parts of Ipoh yesterday after almost two hours of heavy rain, affecting areas such as the city centre, Tawas, and Kepayang, Manjoi.
Source:The Star
February 17, 2026 11:24 UTC
KUALA LUMPUR: Former economy minister Datuk Seri Rafizi Ramli has denied corruption allegations linked to his tenure at the Economy Ministry, following a recent investigation by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC). He said the NETR was developed by the ministry but does not involve public funds for project construction while all procurements were under the Finance Ministry. He said the Economy Ministry is a planning ministry and does not manage procurement or contracts of this nature. "Any payments were processed by MIDA and screened and approved by the Finance Ministry." According to sources, based on the complaints and documents submitted by several parties, MACC also obtained related documents from the Economy Ministry on Feb 13.
Source:New Strait Times
February 17, 2026 11:12 UTC
KOTA BHARU: PAS continues to maintain its intention to lead Perikatan Nasional after the coalition’s chairmanship post fell vacant, with all component parties reportedly agreeing to the proposal. Perikatan Deputy Secretary-General Datuk Seri Takiyuddin Hassan said there is, for now, a preliminary agreement among coalition parties for PAS to take the lead to ensure stability and to maintain the opposition’s political direction, reported Sinar Harian. According to him, although earlier reports indicated that some parties opposed PAS leading Perikatan, recent developments indicate that all member parties are now aligned. Perikatan currently comprises four main parties, and the decision to appoint a new chairman will be made in accordance with the coalition’s constitution. For the record, the four main parties that make up the Periakatan coalition are PAS, Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia, Parti Gerakan Rakyat Malaysia, and Parti Solidariti Tanah Airku.
Source:The Star
February 17, 2026 11:02 UTC
China put forward the Global Governance Initiative, successfully hosted the Shanghai Cooperation Organization summit and the Global Leaders' Meeting on Women. In Chinese culture, the horse embodies vigor, strength and resilience, symbolizing steady progress and enduring prosperity, Xi said. Moretti said that President Xi used his address to remind the Chinese people that attention to high-quality development is paramount to continue advancing the nation. "By advancing globalisation, China will demonstrate resilience and vitality amid a complex and volatile international environment while solidifying its economic strength," said Kang. Aruna Goonatilleke, president of the Sri Lanka-China Friendship Association, said that Xi's speech reflects clarity of vision, strong leadership, and unwavering commitment to the people of China.
Source:The Star
February 17, 2026 10:55 UTC
KUALA LUMPUR: MCA President Datuk Seri Dr Wee Ka Siong has called for unity and an end to political divisions during the festive celebration. “The Chinese New Year celebration is about wishing everyone well,” he told reporters after attending the MCA CNY celebration at Wisma MCA here on Tuesday (Feb 17). Dr Wee said leaders from various parties, including former ministers and politicians from different political backgrounds, were invited as part of the spirit of inclusivity. “As for Khairy, he is a good friend of MCA, as are many politicians from different sides of the political divide,” he said. Commenting on the attendance of DAP leaders, Dr Wee said invitations had been extended to all parties, but attendance depended on individual schedules.
Source:The Star
February 17, 2026 10:55 UTC
KUANTAN: The Sultan of Pahang Al-Sultan Abdullah Ri'ayatuddin Al-Mustafa Billah Shah has conveyed Chinese New Year greetings to the Chinese community in Pahang and across the country. Also extending the greetings was the Tengku Ampuan of Pahang Tunku Azizah Aminah Maimunah Iskandariah. In a Facebook post on Monday (Feb 16), the Pahang Sultanate said Their Royal Highnesses expressed hope that the Chinese New Year celebrations would be observed in a spirit of joy, prosperity and happiness with family and friends. "May this Chinese New Year bring cheer, lasting good health and further strengthen the spirit of unity and harmony among the multiracial people of Pahang Darul Makmur in particular and Malaysia in general. Gong Xi Fa Cai,"Their Royal Highnesses said in the post.
Source:The Star
February 17, 2026 10:49 UTC
JOHOR BARU: The current turmoil in Bersatu reflects the consequences of political decisions made in the past, says Umno party Youth deputy chief Mohd Hairi Mad Shah. The Umno supreme council member, who is also the Larkin assemblyman, added that the internal split within Bersatu is “karma” for what it has done to Umno“Actually, I am not bothered about other parties. Mohd Hairi said Umno president Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi had introduced the concept of a “rumah bangsa”, signalling the party’s openness to uniting Malays under one roof. He added that the president had opened the “door of the house”, reflecting Umno’s willingness to embrace other Malay leaders and parties. Mohd Hairi also said the Umno Youth wing was open to accepting former members of other parties who wished to join.
Source:The Star
February 17, 2026 10:45 UTC
KULAI: A company lost RM137,600 after being duped into paying for a non-existent tender involving the supply of electric generator machines to an industrial training institute located in Tangkak. He said the victim claimed her company suffered losses amounting to RM137,600 after being deceived by an individual offering a tender to supply generator machines to the institute. “The company had agreed to purchase six portable generator machines along with four battery units worth RM137,600. “She was informed that there was no tender at present for the supply of generator machines and electric cables,” he said. The case is being investigated under Section 420 of the Penal Code for cheating involving a non-existent project tender.
Source:The Star
February 17, 2026 10:44 UTC
Moving from agile and powerful play on the pitch, two German football stars, Thomas Mueller and Mats Hummels, took an intriguing detour by not only trying their hand at badminton, but also challenging former European men’s doubles champion Marvin Seidel. Although this was part of their social media content for the #ThoMats Challenge, Mueller and Hummels showed that they actually have some potential in the sport. Mueller and Hummels then faced off in a friendly match up to 11 points, with Hummels narrowly winning 11-9. Mueller, Seidel and Hummels chatting after a game. “Your footwork was excellent, and you showed great fighting spirit throughout,” said Seidel, clearly impressed by the badminton potential of both Mueller and Hummels.
Source:The Star
February 17, 2026 10:41 UTC
ISTANBUL: (Bernama-Anadolu) Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney said Monday (Feb 16) that Canada is "renewing” its relationship with China after Beijing announced visa-free travel for Canadian citizens, calling the move a key outcome of a new phase in bilateral engagement, Anadolu Ajansi reported. As part of our new strategic partnership, China is granting visa-free travel for Canadians,” Carney wrote on the social media platform X, describing the policy as a tangible sign of improving ties. China’s Foreign Ministry said Sunday that ordinary passport holders from Canada and the UK will be allowed visa-free entry starting Feb 17, 2026. British Prime Minister Keir Starmer reached agreements on people-to-people exchanges during a separate visit. China has expanded visa-free entry to several Western nations in recent years as part of efforts to revive tourism and international travel following the Covid-19 pandemic.
Source:The Star
February 17, 2026 10:26 UTC
KUALA LUMPUR: Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim said the Chinese New Year is celebrated together as a symbol of unity and cooperation among Malaysians. “This celebration we celebrate together shows our unity and togetherness,” he said during his speech at Kuala Lumpur and Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall (KLSCAH) on Tuesday (Feb 17). Anwar greeted the crowd with “Ta jia hao” and extended his wishes to the Chinese community by saying “Gong Xi Fa Cai, xin nian kuai le dan nian nian hao”, wishing the celebrant that every year should be good. He thanked the Chinese community celebrating the Chinese New Year for working together with the government. In conjunction with the Chinese New Year celebration at the KLSCAH, he said the building and the Chinese business community have long been intertwined with the country’s independence and development.
Source:The Star
February 17, 2026 10:21 UTC
BAGAN SERAI: A proposal to equip every police vehicle with dashboard cameras (dashcams) will soon be submitted to the Inspector-General of Police. Traffic Investigation and Enforcement Department director Datuk Seri Muhammed Hasbullah Ali said the initiative aims to enhance monitoring and allow the police to record and assess incidents in greater detail. On the operation, Muhammed Hasbullah said 3,609 personnel from the Traffic Investigation and Enforcement Department and 6,132 officers from the Crime Prevention and Community Safety Department had been deployed from Feb 15 until 20. He said that the department would conduct focused monitoring at 25 hotspots and 46 blackspots along major highways, in addition to 407 hotspots and 76 blackspots on federal, state and municipal roads nationwide. "This operation is being carried out in cooperation with the Health Ministry, the Road Transport Department, the Fire and Rescue Department, and other agencies," he added.
Source:New Strait Times
February 17, 2026 09:49 UTC