Sports News of Friday, 30 January 2026Source: www.ghanaweb.comManchester City are expected to include Ghana forward Antoine Semenyo in their UEFA Champions League squad for the knockout rounds following qualification for the last 16. Semenyo was unavailable for the group stage after joining the club during the January transfer window, with Champions League regulations preventing new signings from featuring before the knockout rounds. This opens the door for City to add Semenyo to their updated A-List squad for the remainder of the competition. His expected inclusion provides Pep Guardiola with an additional attacking option as City prepare for the business end of the Champions League. Further squad updates are expected ahead of the round of 16 draw.
Source:GhanaWeb
January 30, 2026 06:47 UTC
General News of Thursday, 29 January 2026Source: www.ghanaweb.comTyrone Iras Marhguy is not your everyday student. From his dorm room, the young academic achiever has pulled off something many would consider impossible without a fully equipped laboratory; he built a working 8-bit Arithmetic Logic Unit (ALU) using only discrete MOSFETs. What makes his achievement even more remarkable is that he had no prior experience in chip design when he started. Driven by curiosity and determination, Tyrone dedicated over 250 hours to the project — carefully designing, simulating and verifying every part of the ALU from scratch. In Tyrone, Ghana is witnessing more than a young inventor it is seeing a future leader whose brilliance is matched by conviction.
Source:GhanaWeb
January 30, 2026 05:02 UTC
Politics of Thursday, 29 January 2026Source: www.ghanaweb.comJohn Boadu, an aspiring National Chairman of the New Patriotic Party (NPP), has appealed to party members and supporters to conduct themselves with discipline, fairness and mutual respect ahead of the party’s presidential primaries scheduled for Saturday, January 31, 2026. In a statement issued on Thursday, January 29, 2026, and addressed to all media houses, Boadu stressed that the presidential primaries represent a critical moment in the democratic journey of the NPP and must be approached with a deep sense of responsibility. “A peaceful, transparent, and credible election will strengthen our party and position us firmly for the task ahead,” he noted. The aspiring National Chairman also underscored the need for unity after the primaries, urging party members to close ranks and heal any divisions in order to focus on securing victory in the 2028 general elections. He concluded by invoking divine guidance for the nation and the party, wishing Ghana and the NPP well ahead of the crucial exercise.
Source:GhanaWeb
January 30, 2026 04:15 UTC
General News of Thursday, 29 January 2026Source: www.ghanaweb.comThe Criminal Investigations Department (CID) of the Ghana Police Service has arrested seven suspects in connection with a highway robbery involving a member of the Council of State, which occurred along the Tamale-Buipe Highway in July 2025. Man arrested in Bekwai over unlawful narcotic drug possession“The police have arrested seven suspects in a highway robbery involving a Council of State member, which occurred sometime last year,” she said at a press briefing on January 29, 2026. She said a major breakthrough in the case occurred on January 11, 2026, when intelligence gathered by the CID led to an operation in Salaga in the Savannah Region. “Following intelligence gathered by the CID, a team from the anti-armed robbery units was dispatched to Salaga in the Savannah Region. “Further investigations led officers to a mobile phone shop located at Dagomba Line in Salaga.
Source:GhanaWeb
January 30, 2026 04:01 UTC
The seized properties form part of exhibits in The Republic v. Mustapha Abdul-Hamid & Nine Others (CR/0603/2025), currently before the Criminal High Court in Accra. Among the assets under OSP management are four fuel stations in Opeikuma, Dansoman, Abeka Lapaz, and Millennium City, as well as GH¢951,995.56 in cash. Additional assets include six-unit residential blocks at Agbogba valued at GH¢10 million, 23 fuel tanker trucks, and unfinished apartment developments in Airport City and Roman Ridge. Separately, the OSP has seized luxury vehicles worth GH¢18.6 million in connection with its investigation into the Minerals Income Investment Fund (MIIF). The case remains before the High Court as the OSP continues asset-tracing, seizure, and prosecution processes.
Source:GhanaWeb
January 30, 2026 04:00 UTC
Politics of Thursday, 29 January 2026Source: www.ghanaweb.comThe Chairman of the New Patriotic Party’s (NPP) Elections Committee, Joseph Osei Owusu, has announced the reinstatement of 58 TESCON youth organiser delegates who had earlier been removed from the list of voters for the party’s upcoming flagbearer election. Following a formal petition submitted to the National Executive Committee (NEC), the Elections Committee reviewed the situation and has now reversed the earlier decision, restoring the delegates to the official voting list. On the issue of proxy voting, the Elections Committee chairman made the party’s position clear: there will be no proxy voting under any circumstances. “There will be no proxy voting during these primaries. Any delegate in the diaspora who wishes to vote must travel home and vote in person,” he said.
Source:GhanaWeb
January 30, 2026 03:51 UTC
General News of Thursday, 29 January 2026Source: www.ghanaweb.comThe Minister of Roads and Highways, Kwame Governs Agbodza, has disclosed that compensation demands totalling about $2 million by two private building owners significantly delayed the Adjiringanor Overpass project. Here's the projected timeline for the Eastern Corridor Road project“That road actually links all the way back to UPSA. “Whiles the project was being put together, people quickly went building so that they would pay compensation,” he revealed. Agbodza disclosed that two buildings are at the centre of the dispute, with one owner demanding about $500,000 and another asking for as much as $1.5 million for portions of their structures to be demolished. "But those buildings were not actually full buildings at the time the project was conceived,” he explained.
Source:GhanaWeb
January 30, 2026 02:01 UTC
The images, which began circulating on social media shortly after the match, appear to show cracked concrete pillars, exposed iron reinforcement rods and visible wear within parts of the stadium structure. The ground, which hosted Chelsea’s 3–2 win over the Serie A champions, was packed with supporters for the high-profile European fixture. The stadium, which regularly hosts domestic and international matches, is among the older arenas in European football. Infrastructure experts note that exposed reinforcement bars and cracking concrete can indicate long-term wear and may require urgent assessment if structural integrity is compromised. However, the emergence of the photos is likely to increase scrutiny over stadium standards, particularly as Napoli continue to compete at the highest level in both Serie A and European competitions.
Source:GhanaWeb
January 29, 2026 23:51 UTC
General News of Thursday, 29 January 2026Source: www.ghanaweb.comThe youth of the Ketu South Constituency have appealed to President John Dramani Mahama not to bow to pressure to remove the Deputy Director-General of the Ghana Tertiary Education Commission (GTEC), Professor Augustine Ocloo. According to the group, any attempt to remove Prof. Ocloo would be unnecessary, politically motivated and detrimental to institutional independence, particularly at a time when the tertiary education sector is grappling with complex challenges. “Professor Augustine Ocloo has at all times operated within the confines of the law and discharged his duties professionally. The youth further noted that the challenges facing the tertiary education sector are systemic and cannot be resolved by singling out individuals for blame. The Ketu South youth reaffirmed their support for Prof. Ocloo and called on academics, students and civil society organisations to rally behind reforms anchored in consultation, fairness and respect for the rule of law.
Source:GhanaWeb
January 29, 2026 22:51 UTC
Benin Coup Plot Tests Cross-Border Counterterrorism ReadinessExecutive Summary:On December 7, 2025, Nigeria and other members of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) helped Benin’s government thwart a military coup attempt, which the plotters justified as a response to escalating jihadist insecurity in the north. The intervention re-established Nigeria as a regional security guarantor and prevented Benin from falling under a junta that might have pivoted toward Russia’s sphere of influence. On December 7, 2025, Benin nearly became the latest country in Africa’s expanding “coup belt” to experience an overthrow of the country’s leadership (African Business, December 13, 2025). Any coup and ensuing political instability, moreover, would have further increased insecurity in Benin, thereby jeopardizing Nigerian security along their porous mutual border. While ISGS is yet to claim an attack in Nigeria, its Nigerian ally, Islamic State in West Africa (ISWAP), has done so.
Source:GhanaWeb
January 29, 2026 22:00 UTC
Sports News of Thursday, 29 January 2026Source: www.ghanaweb.comJust over 10 days after one of the most chaotic Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) finals in history, Senegal coach Pape Thiaw has asked fans not to donate to cover his disciplinary fine. Following the 2027 AFCON final, the Confederation of African Football (CAF) issued fines totaling more than $1 million (€835,000) and handed bans to players and staff from both finalist teams. Fans attempted to storm the pitch, journalists clashed and after a 15-minute delay, Morocco missed the penalty. Morocco head coach Walid Regragui later described the match as giving African football a “shameful image.”In the wake of the sanctions, supporters had begun organizing fundraising campaigns to help cover Thiaw’s fine. The coach, however in an Instagram post, urged restraint in a heartfelt message, “People of Senegal, my family, your solidarity since the announcement of the sanctions has touched me deeply.
Source:GhanaWeb
January 29, 2026 20:45 UTC
Business News of Thursday, 29 January 2026Source: www.ghanaweb.comGlobal oil prices surged on Thursday, January 29, 2026, as rising tensions involving Iran fueled fears of supply disruptions. US West Texas Intermediate crude briefly rose above $65 a barrel, also reaching a four-month high. Oil prices projected to fall below $60 in 2026 - ReportAnalysts said the price rally reflected a widening geopolitical risk premium as investors weighed the consequences of escalating tensions in the Middle East. US President Donald Trump has increased pressure on Tehran to end its nuclear programme, with threats of military strikes and the arrival of a US naval group in the region. SP/AMBoG lowers policy rate from 18% to 15.5%Banking sector shows resilience as assets, profits grow in 2025 - BoGBanking sector shows resilience as assets, profits grow in 2025 - BoG
Source:GhanaWeb
January 29, 2026 20:40 UTC
According to Nikpe, all outstanding documentation and regulatory processes would be completed in time for the national carrier to commence operations. “For some time, since Ghana Airways was liquidated, several attempts have been made to re-establish a national airline, but these efforts have not come to fruition. “However, I firmly believe that under President Mahama, we have set up a task force, and the task force is working. Efforts to restore a national carrier in Ghana have faced challenges in the past. As part of renewed efforts, the government inaugurated a 10-member National Airline Task Force on May 8, 2025, to drive the revival of the carrier.
Source:GhanaWeb
January 29, 2026 19:46 UTC
The GFA announced that 12 accreditations; 10 slots for written press and two for photographers were issued by FIFA to Ghana for coverage of the World Cup. Per the analytics they shared, it was disclosed that most Ghanaian journalists often leave the tournaments when the national team is eliminated. "During the World Cup in Qatar, the analytics showed that there were only two Ghanaian journalists, one photographer and one online reporter. He added that journalists who may not get accreditation through the GFA could also apply via other FIFA media rights categories. “The explanation is that when it comes to World Cup accreditation, we have three types: broadcast rights holders, non-rights holders, and written press/photography combined.
Source:GhanaWeb
January 29, 2026 18:36 UTC
According to a report by graphic.com.gh, the order was issued by Justice Francis Aponga Achiponga during a case management conference held on Thursday, January 29, 2026. On disclosures, Woode told the court that the Republic had already filed some witness statements with attached exhibits and served them on the accused persons. “In view of the outstanding disclosures and the ongoing international processes, the prosecution applied for more time,” the report stated. The OSP has filed 78 charges against Ofori-Atta and seven others over alleged corruption and procurement-related offences linked to revenue assurance contracts with Strategic Mobilisation Ghana Limited (SML). The High Court charge sheet, filed on November 18, 2025, accuses the group of conspiring to improperly influence a procurement process to secure an unfair advantage, contrary to Ghana’s Criminal Offences Act and the Public Procurement Act.
Source:GhanaWeb
January 29, 2026 18:36 UTC