General News of Wednesday, 18 February 2026Source: www.ghanaweb.comThe Minister of Gender, Children, and Social Protection, Dr Agnes Naa Momo Lartey, has confirmed that the newborn allegedly stolen from the Mamprobi Polyclinic in Accra has been safely recovered, thanks to a timely tip-off from a whistleblower. Speaking to reporters shortly after the infant was retrieved on February 18, 2026, Dr Naa Momo Lartey assured the public that the mother and child are receiving medical attention. Watch the moment Gender Minister reunites stolen baby with motherThe minister commended the swift collaboration between the whistleblower, Ablekuma South MP Alfred Nii Lante Vanderpuye, and the police in locating the baby. Though the suspect is in police custody, the minister said “the ministry will provide support to determine the motive behind the alleged kidnapping." She also emphasised the ministry’s commitment to strengthening security in medical facilities to prevent similar incidents in the future.
Source:GhanaWeb
February 18, 2026 14:44 UTC
General News of Wednesday, 18 February 2026Source: www.ghanaweb.comThe National Service Authority (NSA) has reassured thousands of frustrated service personnel that their long-awaited allowances will be paid by the close of this week. The statement clarified that the Controller and Accountant-General’s Department had advanced funds sufficient to cover two months of allowances last week. The NSA acknowledged the patience and resilience demonstrated by service personnel during this period and emphasised that their contributions to the nation are deeply valued. To provide assurance, the Authority set a firm deadline, stating that all verified and legitimate arrears will be cleared by the close of this week. The announcement comes as welcome news to service personnel across the country, many of whom have been grappling with the financial strain of delayed stipends, which serve as a crucial lifeline during their year of mandatory national service.
Source:GhanaWeb
February 18, 2026 13:58 UTC
General News of Wednesday, 18 February 2026Source: www.ghanaweb.comAmbassador of the Russian Federation to Ghana, Sergei Berdnikov, has disclosed that the name Vyacheslav Trahov, used by the man accused of secretly filming Ghanaian women in viral videos, is fake and translates into a vulgar pseudonym. Ambassador Berdnikov acknowledged the seriousness of the matter, noting its broader implications for cybercrime. He further indicated in the statement by the foreign affairs ministry that he was unable to confirm the Russian nationality of the individual at the center of the viral intimate videos. “The Russian Ambassador, however, indicated that he is unable to confirm the Russian nationality of the individual at the centre of the intimate viral videos, and further disclosed that the purported name making the rounds in the media is not a known Russian name and rather represents an inappropriate or vulgar expression in the Russian language,” the statement read. “The government is seeking cooperation from Russian authorities to ensure that justice is served,” the statement added.
Source:GhanaWeb
February 18, 2026 13:58 UTC
Speaking on PM Express on JoyNews on Tuesday, February 17, 2026, Kwetey said the NDC cannot promise national transformation while maintaining practices it criticises in others. “You can’t simply be attacking your opponent when you were doing exactly the same thing as your opponent. But it’s a path some of us are willing to fight for even at the cost of my political ambition,” he said. Kwetey argued that the party’s pledge to reset Ghana places an obligation on the NDC to first address its own shortcomings. And to reset the country means business as usual has to be over,” he said.
Source:GhanaWeb
February 18, 2026 13:58 UTC
I'm scared of Stonebwoy - AjagurajahProphet Ajagurajah disclosed that it took him about three months to realise he had been bewitched with Kayamata. According to him, the alleged influence of Kayamata compelled him to sack many of his workers, as he remained under the woman’s control through the charm. She made me sack so many people around me; whatever she said was final,” he said. He added, “I have angels, but they allowed it to happen because they warned me not to eat just anywhere. I didn’t listen, so she mixed it with my food.”JHM/EBMeanwhile, watch GhanaWeb’s exposé on the ‘dark side of Kayamata’ and its devastating impact
Source:GhanaWeb
February 18, 2026 13:58 UTC
General News of Wednesday, 18 February 2026Source: www.ghanaweb.comThe Ghana Police Service has seized a truck carrying over 3,000 slabs of suspected narcotic substances in the Greater Accra Region. Two men have been arrested for allegedly trying to bribe police officers in relation to the case. In a statement released on Wednesday, February 18, 2026, the Tema Regional Police Command said the operation was carried out in the early hours of February 15, 2026. The truck and its contents have since been impounded at the Tema Regional Headquarters to aid investigations. The Tema Regional Police Command assured the public of its continued efforts to tackle drug-related offences.
Source:GhanaWeb
February 18, 2026 13:58 UTC
At the peak of his unpopular prowess, Jack Bebli earned a reputation as the man whose name and presence invoked fear among Accra residents. Due to the fear and power of Jack Bebli and his weapon-wielding servicemen, no man or car ever dared to pass or challenge him and his team. Jack Bebli was the one who was carrying Giwa, off the aircraft. After months of prosecution, Jack Bebli and five others were, in July 2001, sentenced to 15 years in prison for armed robbery offences. How Jack Bebli diedIn May 2009, reports emerged that Jack Bebli suffered a heart attack and died at the Nsawam Prison, where he was serving his sentence.
Source:GhanaWeb
February 18, 2026 13:58 UTC
General News of Wednesday, 18 February 2026Source: www.ghanaweb.comThe New Patriotic Party (NPP) has published a roadmap for its nationwide reorganisation exercise, detailing the main activities scheduled to take place from March to September 2026. According to a myjoyonline.com report on Wednesday, February 18, 2026, the party’s membership registration will take place from March 1 to March 31, 2026, allowing new members to join and existing members to renew their status. Here is why NPP has amended its constitutionThe NPP will then commence its grassroots elections, starting with Polling Station elections scheduled for May 10 to May 16, 2026. The party’s Constituency elections will follow on July 11 and July 12, 2026, after which regional executives will be elected during the regional elections planned for August 8 to August 9, 2026. The exercise will culminate in the party’s National elections and conference, slated for September 18 to September 20, 2026, where national executives are expected to be elected.
Source:GhanaWeb
February 18, 2026 13:58 UTC
Regional News of Wednesday, 18 February 2026Source: www.ghanaweb.comThe Osudoku Traditional Council in the Greater Accra Region has inducted a new Sub-Divisional Chief in a historic ceremony for Djertsor Kope. The Paramount Chief, Nene Kweku-Otiti Animle VII, formally enstooled Nene Nartey Djertsor as the Sub-Divisional Chief of Djertsor Kope. The ceremony was led by Nene Narh Guarmatso IV, Divisional Chief of Tsangmor, who emphasised the importance of unity, humility, and collaboration among traditional authorities to promote development. Addressing attendees, the Paramount Chief highlighted the poor road network in the area as a major setback to economic activities, including agriculture and commerce. The induction is expected to reinforce traditional governance structures and advance development efforts in Djertsor Kope.
Source:GhanaWeb
February 18, 2026 13:58 UTC
Speaking on the theme “Financing Women’s Participation in Mining: Government’s Instrument for Inclusive Development,” the Administrator underscored the critical responsibility of governments and public institutions in dismantling financial barriers that continue to limit women’s full participation across the mining value chain. According to her, women’s access to capital, equipment, land, technology, and markets must be deliberately embedded within national mining frameworks. It also reinforced MDF’s commitment to inclusive financing models, equitable mineral revenue management, and sustainable community development. In framing government financing as a transformative development instrument, the MDF Administrator firmly placed women at the center of Africa’s mining future. With this initiative, Ghana once again demonstrates that financing women is not rhetoric, it is policy, it is structure and it is national development in action.
Source:GhanaWeb
February 18, 2026 13:58 UTC
“His Ministry is in talks with the security personnel on the Burkina Faso side to give some of the tomato traders formal security,” he said. According to the minister, Ghana’s security agencies can only operate within Ghana’s borders, so collaborating with authorities in Burkina Faso is critical. He said the ongoing engagements are aimed at developing a structured system that will allow traders to move safely in and out of Burkina Faso. Dumelo’s comments come in the wake of recent terrorist attacks in northern Burkina Faso, which reportedly claimed the lives of several Ghanaian tomato traders and left others injured. Tomato trading between Ghana and Burkina Faso remains a major source of livelihood for hundreds of traders, particularly in northern Ghana, where traders regularly travel across the border to purchase produce.
Source:GhanaWeb
February 18, 2026 13:58 UTC
Business News of Wednesday, 18 February 2026Source: www.ghanaweb.comMajority Leader Mahama Ayariga has dismissed claims that the recent downward review of cocoa prices breaches the law. He said, “Cocoa prices can be reviewed upwards and can also be reviewed downwards, and when you review them downwards, it’s not illegal. Ghana sets new producer price for remainder of 2025/2026 cocoa season. This represents a reduction from GH¢51,660 per tonne (GH¢3,625 per bag), following sustained declines in global cocoa prices. The government maintains that despite the downward revision, Ghana remains committed to sustaining its position as a leading cocoa producer and safeguarding the livelihoods of its farmers.
Source:GhanaWeb
February 18, 2026 13:58 UTC
“The combined strength of Ghana’s diverse tree crops can become a powerful engine of sustainable growth. Tree crops are far more than commercial commodities,” he said. Beyond economic gains, the Asantehene stressed the environmental benefits of tree crops, noting their role in restoring degraded lands, protecting watersheds, and stabilising soil. Let us deliberately make land available for large-scale, responsible tree crop development,” he urged. The summit, themed “Sustainable Growth through Tree Crops Investment: Resetting and Building Ghana’s Green Economy,” was organised by the Tree Crop Development Authority in partnership with the World Bank and other institutions.
Source:GhanaWeb
February 18, 2026 13:58 UTC
General News of Wednesday, 18 February 2026Source: www.ghanaweb.comThe President of IMANI Africa, Franklin Cudjoe, has applauded Chief Justice Paul Baffoe-Bonnie for what he describes as a bold and decisive ruling on petitions seeking the removal of key state officials. The Chief Justice determined that there is no prima facie case to justify further investigations into seven petitions filed against Electoral Commission Chairperson Jean Mensa and her deputies. He also dismissed three separate petitions calling for the removal of Special Prosecutor Kissi Agyebeng. Reacting to the development in a Facebook post on Wednesday, Cudjoe described the ruling as a significant moment for Ghana’s democracy, suggesting it signals a judiciary that is no longer under executive control. “The Judiciary is now truly unshackled.
Source:GhanaWeb
February 18, 2026 13:58 UTC
Business News of Wednesday, 18 February 2026Source: www.ghanaweb.comTo position Ghana’s cash crops and fully tap their economic potential, Cabinet has approved the establishment of two new cashew factories in the Bono and Bono East regions. According to the Minister of Trade, Agribusiness and Industry, Elizabeth Ofosu-Adjare, the move forms part of the government’s efforts to revive the Komenda Sugar Factory. Speaking in Parliament on February 17, 2026, Ofosu-Adjare noted that the factory’s inactivity has significantly affected job creation in the region and caused great economic losses. She also revealed that the government has secured land for sugarcane cultivation to support the production of refined sugar under the Feed the Industry Programme, with assistance from the Chief of Komenda. She also revealed that the government has secured land for sugarcane cultivation to support the production of refined sugar under the Feed the Industry Programme, with assistance from the Chief of Komenda.
Source:GhanaWeb
February 18, 2026 13:58 UTC