Ottawa charities that receive support from the Ottawa Senators Foundation say they're hopeful funding will continue despite plans for the foundation and the hockey club to part ways next month. The Ottawa Senators Foundation announced Thursday it will no longer be able to use the Ottawa Senators' branding after a licensing agreement expires July 31. Three charities that depend on funding from the foundation said they learned about the breakup Thursday, along with the rest of the city. The Ottawa Senators Foundation and the Club annouced today that it's agreement with clubs will expire in July 2020. (Michel Aspirot/CBC)Roger Neilson House received $314,000 last year from the Ottawa Senators Foundation, and Wright said she expects the same level of funding this year.
"It's really extraordinary," said Richard Kohn , a University of North Carolina military historian who studies civilian control of the military. WATCH | Trump threatens to use the military against protesters:U.S. President Donald Trump told state governors Monday that he will "quickly solve the problem" of protests if they don't. 1:15Trump said in a statement Monday that he wanted state governors to take measures to "dominate" their streets. Trump's defence secretary, Mark Esper, referred to U.S. cities as battlespaces in a phone call with state governors on Monday. State governors have not asked Trump for federal troops, and he hasn't forced the issue so far.
"We want this time for the voices of the black community to be heard. "We want this time for the voices of the black community to be heard." We do have a responsibility to be present, to ensure the safety of the participants, to ensure the safety of the general public. Organizers will now be starting the march on Parliament Hill instead of at the U.S. Embassy, as was previously planned. "We stand in solidarity with the black community and those peacefully calling for justice, accountability, and reform."
At Winnipeg's École Constable Edward Finney School, where some students returned this week, teachers take their students outside for class when possible. Across provinces, districts and even individual schools, these educators are taking different approaches — and their Canadian peers are watching carefully to see what classes might look like in the fall. In-school daycare operations were reopened, new tech resources were provided and successful remote learning situations were preserved. But creating conditions for staff, students and their caregivers feel emotionally safe is much harder to achieve, principal Karen Hiscott said. Teachers gradually returned to the province's schools this week, as schools also invited back students with complex needs part time.
Talking to children about George Floyd's death — and the ensuing anger, grief and exhaustion — hasn't been easy for many black parents in Ottawa. Talking about racism and interacting with law enforcement isn't easy, but many black parents believe it's critical to keeping their children alive. WATCH: Keisha Blair says seeing the brutal images of George Floyd's death has been hardest on her teenage son. Keisha Blair says seeing the brutal images of George Floyd's death has been hardest on her teenage son. Madiba said when the times comes, she will instruct her son to listen to the police, even if they're wrong, for his own safety.
Mabel Tung, chair of the Vancouver Society in Support of Democratic Movement, said this year her group is organizing a virtual commemoration. Tung expects there might be a bigger turnout for that, especially given the climate in Hong Kong. Watch anniversary vigils take place in Hong Kong:The vigil followed an uproar in the Hong Kong legislature after lawmakers passed a controversial bill that criminalizes disrespect of China's national anthem. "But despite the police ban, a lot of brave Hong Kong citizens still came out and expressed commemoration and hope for a democratic country," Kwok said. Kwok said with the incoming national security law, this year may mark the last year the Tiananmen Square anniversary is commemorated in Hong Kong.
June 05, 2020 03:33 UTC
Pawan Jhutty remembers the last time she picked up her little brother Jason from school. Pawan Jhutty, pictured right, says it felt like a 'sick joke' when officers informed the family that her brother Jaskarn (Jason) Singh Jhutty had been killed in a targeted shooting. That night, 16-year-old Jaskarn (Jason) Singh Jhutty and 17-year-old Jaskaran (Jassi) Singh Bhangal were found dead in Surrey's Campbell Heights neighbourhood in what RCMP have deemed a targeted shooting. Paramjit Jhutty holds a photo of her son, Jason Jhutty. Wake Up Surrey founder Gurpreet Singh Sahota says the Bhangal and Jhutty families have gone through 'living hell' since their sons were killed.
June 05, 2020 02:26 UTC
SERDANG: A body found in a drain near a house in Serdang Raya is believed to be that of a senior citizen who had been reported missing on May 28. Serdang OCPD Asst Comm Ismadi Borhan (pic) said police were alerted to the discovery when a woman reported a foul smell coming from the drain on Jalan SR 8/6 Serdang Raya on Thursday (June 4). It is believed that the deceased is Lim Sai Lung, 76, who had been missing since May 28. The family had lodged a missing person's report and had also gone on social media to appeal to the public to help find her. "I promised the family I would find Por Por (grandmother in Chinese).
June 05, 2020 00:45 UTC
The portable problem at Surrey's schools is set to shrink a little with Thursday's announcement that the Sunnyside Heights neighbourhood will be getting a new 655-seat elementary school. The $57-million investment will also fund additions to Morgan and White Rock elementary schools. Education Minister Rob Fleming says the new school and expansions will eliminate 36 portables that are currently in use. The new Sunnyside Heights school will be located at 20th Avenue and 165A Street in South Surrey. Fleming says investments in the Surrey School District will eliminate 350 portables by 2023.
June 04, 2020 23:50 UTC
The suit argues that Trump, Barr and other officials "unlawfully conspired to violate" the protesters' rights when clearing Lafayette Park on Monday. Law enforcement officers aggressively forced the protesters back, firing smoke bombs and pepper balls into the crowd to disperse them from the park. WATCH | Police move in on protesters near White House June 1:Hundreds of police and soldiers were deployed to clear the area around the White House before a 7 p.m. curfew went into effect. Hundreds of other law enforcement officials have also been deployed to the streets of Washington. Trump, Barr and others have tried to blame some of the civil unrest on left-wing extremist groups, including antifa and other "anarchists."
June 04, 2020 23:15 UTC
The Inter-Parliamentary Alliance on China (IPAC) includes Irwin Cotler, a former attorney general of Canada, Liberal MP John McKay, Conservative MP Garnett Genuis, and notable lawmakers from eight countries and the European Parliament. “We need collective engagement and collective action around the challenge to human rights and to the international rules-based order that is being presented by the Chinese government,” Genuis told the Star. The group said it wants to push for policy changes in five areas: safeguarding the international rules-based order, protecting human rights, trade fairness, strengthening security and protecting national integrity. Genuis said he expects more legislators to join the alliance, including in Canada, and the alliance is meant to work across party lines. Rubio said the nature of the challenge China’s moves on an international state present requires a co-ordination response from countries around the world.
June 04, 2020 23:01 UTC
He added during the committee meeting MPI has been diligent in handling its finances. Manitoba Public Insurance says their push toward online delivery of some services is about meeting customers where they are at. Manitoba Public Insurance has questioned whether insurance brokers should still be involved in every transaction, but the brokers say their role is critical. Crown Services Minister Jeff Wharton intervened when the NDP asked questions regarding the Crown's involvement with insurance brokers, arguing the conciliation process is confidential. NDP Leader Wab Kinew, left, and NDP MLA Adrien Sala (St. James) led the questioning of Manitoba Public Insurance officials at the standing committee on Crown corporations.
June 04, 2020 22:48 UTC
It's hard to miss Paul's Motor Inn if you are driving down Douglas Street in the provincial capital. After welcoming travellers for almost 50 years, the 75-room motel has now been bought by the provincial government to shelter the homeless during the COVID-19 pandemic. In April, the City of Victoria leased 35 rooms at the hotel, which are being used as temporary housing for people in need during the current health emergency. The purchase of Paul's Motor Inn adds more available rooms for the homeless to shelter safely during the pandemic. The province also recently paid $18.5 million to purchase The Comfort Inn on Blanshard Street for the same purpose.
June 04, 2020 22:41 UTC
More than 2,000 confirmed COVID-19 cases are missing from the map the City of Toronto released last week that shows infections by neighbourhood, CBC News has found. ET, showed 9,623 positive COVID-19 cases distributed over 140 neighbourhoods. Similar proportions of missing data were found in the map and case counts from previous days. But with 2,000 cases missing, one researcher familiar with Toronto's map data said health authorities could be missing out on other vulnerable communities. "We may be missing COVID-19 hot spots or certain vulnerable populations may be missing from the narrative about COVID-19 in Toronto."
June 04, 2020 22:01 UTC
And we didn't do or say anything, we're just standing there ... and one of them yelled out, 'You shouldn't even be here, you dirty, COVID-spreading traveller!'" Under Yukon's pandemic-related restrictions, travellers going to or from Alaska are allowed just 24 hours to drive through the territory. She's now several days out of Yukon, and looking back she says it felt different travelling through the territory. In all, the territory has seen 11 confirmed cases — all related to travel outside Yukon — and all of those people have recovered. As of Thursday, according to the Yukon government, 11,537 travellers have been allowed entry into Yukon.
June 04, 2020 21:56 UTC