KWEKWE, Zimbabwe - Zimbabwe’s rescue agency said Friday it has ended operations at a mine where two people died after being trapped underground. Nkomo and police spokesman Paul Nyathi said they could not confirm the number of people underground. He said the mine was no longer operational and had been taken over by artisanal miners who use rudimentary and unsafe mining methods. It was quiet at the scene in the gold-rich town of Kwekwe in central Zimbabwe, with only a handful of miners milling around and seemingly unmoved by the deaths. Hundreds of artisanal miners work in disused mines in the area connected by a network of tunnels.
Source: thestar February 07, 2020 18:00 UTC