The Trump administration turned up the pressure on Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro on Friday by targeting his son Nicolas “Nicolasito” Maduro with sanctions, the U.S. Treasury Department said. Asked whether momentum had been lost in efforts to oust Maduro, Trump told reporters: “No, not at all. That’s because the president has not lost focus on Venezuela,” a senior U.S. administration official said, speaking on condition of anonymity. More information will be released in coming weeks about the younger Maduro’s “direct role in corruption,” the administration official said, declining to give further details. The senior administration official declined comment on whether the younger Maduro has assets in the United States.
Source: National Post June 28, 2019 16:03 UTC