The secretary general expressed his full solidarity with the WFP colleagues and the entire United Nations team in DRC. On Monday, Italy's ambassador to DRC Luca Attanasio and two other people were killed in an attack on a United Nations convoy in eastern Congo. The Italian ambassador and a military policeman traveling with him were killed, the Italian foreign ministry said in a statement. The acting head of the UN peacekeeping mission in DRC, MONUSCO, said in a statement that he was "devastated" by news of the attack. According to the ministry website, Attanasio had been Italy's head of mission in Kinshasa since 2017 and was made ambassador in 2019.
Source: The Star February 23, 2021 11:03 UTC