The office of Tunisian President Kais Saied said Thursday that he had been the victim of an “attempted poisoning” via a letter addressed to him and opened by an aide who fell ill. The announcement confirmed reports circulating for more than a day that someone had tried to poison the president. The statement said a letter received Monday from an “unknown sender” addressed to Saied went to the desk of his top aide, Nadia Akacha. The aide was placed in Tunisia’s military hospital and the letter sent for analysis by a special service of the Interior Ministry, the statement said. It said that Saied I “was not effected” by the poison letter and was in good health.
Source: Indian Express January 28, 2021 22:41 UTC