Read our privacy policyThe cost of Donald Trump’s bombing campaign in Yemen could reach a staggering $1 billion by next week, while having limited success in deterring the Houthi militants it is targeting. The group has shot down two MQ-9 Reaper drones in the last week, defense officials told Fox News, and three since Trump’s campaign began. One U.S. official said the total cost of Trump’s campaign could reach $1 billion by next week, which would require the Pentagon to ask for more funds from Congress. Trump’s involvement in Yemen has drawn criticism from his own supporters, who have argued that it contradicts his promises to end “endless wars” and his “America First” campaign slogan. Iona Craig, a representative of the Yemen Data Project, which conducts in-depth research on the war in Yemen, said Trump’s campaign had killed an estimated 28 civilians in three weeks, among them four children, along with dozens more injured.
Source: The Times April 05, 2025 10:01 UTC