A migrant worker at a farm at the centre of a massive COVID-19 outbreak was fired and threatened with deportation — after being accused of speaking to journalists about unsafe living and working conditions, according to a new legal complaint obtained by the Star. Flores says he learned of Chaparro’s death on a late June evening when three unexpected visitors arrived at the apartment he shares with 13 other migrant workers. The reprisal complaint says Flores had previously raised concerns about health and safety issues directly with his superiors. In 2014, research by the University of Toronto documented hundreds of cases of medical repatriation in which injured migrant workers were deported after an accident, usually against their will. More than a thousand migrant workers have tested positive for the virus, according to a tally of media reports and public health unit data.
Source: thestar July 30, 2020 10:03 UTC