Switzerland's top prosecutor resigned Friday following a drawn-out controversy over his handling of a corruption investigation targeting FIFA, citing a court ruling partially upholding accusations against him. SEE ALSO: First match of 2022 FIFA World Cup to be staged at iconic Al Bayt Stadium"In the interest of the institution, I offer my resignation," Attorney General Michael Lauber said in a statement. Lauber, 54, has faced multiple investigations over his handling of the FIFA probe, in particular over a number of alleged secret meetings with FIFA president Gianni Infantino. Lauber appealed that ruling, and on Friday Switzerland's Federal Administrative Court did find that the disciplinary panel had been harsh in its ruling, and reduced his penalty to a five percent reduction in pay. "I respect the decision of the Federal Administrative Court," said Lauber, adding that he firmly rejected accusations he had lied in the case.
Source: Standard Digital July 24, 2020 12:11 UTC