Since 2017, Aljabri has quietly been living in Canada after fleeing Saudi Arabia following a tumultuous coup over the Saudi throne, and the series of purges that followed. The lawsuit also says that Aljabri is now a permanent resident in Canada. It also comes as there is significant ongoing tension between the Canadian and Saudi governments. Indeed, reports emerged earlier this summer of Saudi attempts to coerce another Saudi dissident living in Canada, Omar Abdulaziz, to return to the country, after the Royal Canadian Mounted Police warned him he might be in danger. The new lawsuit filed in Washington says that bin Salman firmly believes it was Aljabri who contributed to the Central Intelligence Agency’s November 2018 conclusion that it was in fact the Saudi government behind Khashoggi’s death.
Source: National Post August 06, 2020 18:25 UTC