South Korea approved a plan on Thursday to send $8 million worth of aid to North Korea, as China warned the crisis on the Korean peninsula was getting more serious by the day and the war of words between Pyongyang and Washington continued. North Korea’s foreign minister on Thursday likened US President Donald Trump to a “barking dog,” after Trump warned he would “totally destroy” the North if it threatened the United States and its allies. The decision to send aid to North Korea was not popular in South Korea, hitting President Moon Jae-in’s approval rating, raised concerns in Japan and the United States, and follows new United Nations sanctions against North Korea for its sixth nuclear test earlier this month. The South’s Unification Ministry said its aid policy remains unaffected by geopolitical tensions with the North. “We have consistently said we would pursue humanitarian aid for North Korea in consideration of the poor conditions children and pregnant women are in there, apart from political issues,” said Unification Minister Cho Myong-gyon.
Source: Dhaka Tribune September 21, 2017 06:11 UTC