Daniele Nardi and Tom Ballard attempted to climb Nanga Parbat by a route never been successfully used to reachISLAMABAD: Pakistan Army launched a helicopter search on Thursday for a British and an Italian climber stuck on a treacherous peak known as “Killer Mountain”, Italy’s ambassador to Pakistan said. Italian Daniele Nardi and fellow mountaineer Tom Ballard were attempting a winter ascent of the 8,126-metre (26,660-ft) Nanga Parbat in the Himalayas, one of the hardest mountaineering feats in the world. Nardi and Ballard were attempting to climb Nanga Parbat by a route that had never been successfully used to reach the top. Two Pakistani climbers who were part of the mission had earlier abandoned the climb, Pontecorvo said. The first successful winter ascent of Nanga Parbat was made in February 2016.
Source: The Express Tribune February 28, 2019 12:00 UTC