In its decision, high court judge Joacquine De-Mello sided with Tigo and agreed to overturn the ruling on grounds the Ilala District Court lacked legal jurisdiction to handle the case. The court said the District Court could only hear cases with a monetary interest not higher than Tsh300 million (approximatelyKsh14 million). The decision comes after AY and Mwana FA had already been paid the sum of Sh100 million by the appellant in 2016 after a lengthy legal battle which started in 2012. Tigo’s legal representative Rosan Mbwambo said that his client will issue a letter demanding that AY and Mwana FA return the amount of money they were paid. The initial compensation which was sought by the artistes was Tsh4.3 billion (about Sh206 million), which was then reduced to Tsh2.1 billion (Sh100 million) by the district court.
Source: Daily Nation December 08, 2020 11:37 UTC