More than 1K suspected rebels surrender in western EthiopiaMay 11, 2022, 6:09 pmAddis Ababa, May 11 (UNI/Xinhua) More than 1,000 suspected rebels have surrendered in recent days in Ethiopia's western Benishangul-Gumuz regional state, local officials said Wednesday. Benishangul-Gumuz regional state communications affairs office said in a press statement that the ethnic Gumuz rebels surrendered through a local reconciliation scheme. Before their surrender, they had been operating in the Metekel zone of the region for more than three years. Last month, the Benishangul-Gumuz regional state communications affairs office announced the surrender of 247 rebels. In recent years, deadly inter-communal violence, as well as rebel attacks in the East African country's western region has killed thousands of civilians and displaced more than 100,000 others.
Source: Ethiopian News May 11, 2022 12:47 UTC