Photograph: Andria Lo/The New York TimesThirteen local authorities have ceased using the social media platform X, or are reviewing its use, amid ongoing controversy about the company’s AI tool Grok being used to create non-consensual sexual images. Last month, Dublin City Council became the first local authority to suspend the use of the X platform, formerly known as Twitter, following a Green Party proposal. Sligo County Council said it suspended its use earlier this month. Councils cited recent controversies surrounding content on the X platform, including the creation of sexualised images of children. “Often, to be most effective, this information is required in real time, eg during a storm, road closures, or road gritting,” said Roscommon County Council.
Source: The Irish Times February 20, 2026 19:30 UTC