The city of Montreal has dismantled a homeless encampment on a vacant lot at the intersection of Notre-Dame and D'Iberville streets, just east of the Jacques-Cartier Bridge, on Tuesday morning. Police, firefighters and city employees took down improvised shelters on the lot, which is owned by the Quebec Transport Ministry. A spokesperson for the city told Radio-Canada that the encampments "are not a safe or durable solution for people experiencing homelessness." Guylain Levasseur, who was evicted from another encampment earlier this spring, said moving people around won't solve the problem. Levasseur was living at an encampment in Montreal's east end when it was taken down in May.
Source: CBC News July 13, 2021 18:56 UTC