KUANTAN: A private sector employee lost more than RM600,000 after being duped by a bogus stock investment scheme promoted on social media. Pahang police chief Datuk Seri Yahaya Othman said that on Nov 3 last year, the victim, a 57-year-old man, is believed to have contacted the suspect via WhatsApp after seeing a stock investment advertisement promising lucrative returns. "The suspect offered a stock investment scheme with a guaranteed profit of 30 per cent within one month, with a minimum capital of RM10,000. To convince the victim, the suspect instructed him to download an investment application," he said in a statement on Thursday (Feb 19). Scam victims are also advised to immediately contact the National Scam Response Centre (NSRC) at 997 for prompt assistance," he said.
Source: The Star February 19, 2026 03:14 UTC