Battle-hardened Islamic State (IS) fighters fleeing lost territory in Syria and Iraq have returned to Mindanao to try to establish a province for the jihadi group in Southeast Asia, the Washington Times reported on Sunday. “Foreign terrorist fighters are heading home from the war zone in Iraq and Syria or traveling to third countries to join [Islamic State] branches there,” he said. Galvez, the Times said, cited in particular the IS influence on local movements such as the Maute gang, Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters in central Mindanao and the Abu Sayyaf in western Mindanao. “They are claiming everything,” the Times quoted Galvez as telling reporters last month. The Times quoted Poling as saying the small military footprint was focused on preventing rather than responding to terrorist attacks.
Source: Philippine Daily Inquirer October 01, 2018 23:26 UTC