Govt to go ahead with death penalty directive - News Summed Up

Trending Today


Govt to go ahead with death penalty directive


NewsThe Government is to forge ahead with the death penalty directive given by President Maithripala Sirisena even if it leads to the loss of GSP Plus, Co-cabinet spokesperson, Health Minister Rajitha Senaratne said this at a Cabinet press briefing. He was responding to criticism levelled by the European Union and other countries over the Government’s decision to enforce the death penalty for drug traffickers. Speaking at the Cabinet press conference yesterday, the Minister clarified that the death penalty would be implemented on those who were already convicted on drug related offences and who continue to trade drugs while being behind bars. A concurrent investigation by the PNB over the arrest of another individual with 103 kg of heroin revealed that the suspect had been in touch with eight prison officials. Referring to this incident, the Minister said these prison officers will be severely dealt with under the law for aiding drug traffickers.


Source: Sunday Times July 26, 2018 06:45 UTC



Loading...
Loading...
  

Loading...

                           
/* -------------------------- overlay advertisemnt -------------------------- */