A hearing begins at the International Criminal Court (ICC) on Monday that will determine whether Duterte will stand trial over at least 76 of those deaths. However, the hope that Duterte would appear in person disappeared on Friday when ICC judges ruled that the octogenarian could waive his right to attend the hearing. Villanueva called Duterte's request cowardly when reached on Thursday, noting the former president had already been declared fit to stand trial. he said of the looming ICC hearing. But Sheerah Escudero, whose teenage brother's bullet-riddled body was found in 2017, said Monday's hearing marked a step towards "accountability".
Source: Philippine Star February 21, 2026 06:37 UTC