Confusion, relief, anger in 911 calls during missile scare - News Summed Up

Confusion, relief, anger in 911 calls during missile scare


HONOLULU — “Is that missile alert for real?”“Is a missile coming?”“Is there even a shelter here on the island?”“Who in the world would do such a thing?”Confused callers barraged 911 dispatchers after Hawaii mistakenly sent a blast to cellphones and airwaves warning about an incoming ballistic missile earlier this year. At the request of media organizations, the Honolulu Police Department on Wednesday released a representative sample of 24 of the some 2,000 911 calls about the missile alert on January 13 after 8:07 a.m., when a state worker sent the message in error. It’s a false alarm,” a dispatcher told a woman who called asking if a missile was coming. During earlier calls, dispatchers instructed callers to tune in to television and radio for more information. “I’m very, very angry, very upset,” said a man who called 911 at 8:48 a.m. “Sorry, I understand and we have inundated calls,” the dispatcher replied, offering to send an officer to him.


Source: National Post March 22, 2018 21:57 UTC



Loading...
Loading...
  

Loading...

                           
/* -------------------------- overlay advertisemnt -------------------------- */