Canterbury will move to an open fire season from midnight on Saturday, but people are being asked to hold off lighting outdoor fires until after Alert Level 3. Fire and Emergency New Zealand has been impressed by people’s vigilance during the nationwide lockdown. Meanwhile, FENZ callouts to motor vehicles accidents and house fires in Christchurch from March 26 to April 23 have dropped when compared with the same time last year. Mr Stackhouse said firefighters have attended 50 fewer motor vehicle accidents this year, dropping from 58 to eight. Mr Stackhouse said the number of house fires has decreased from 11 to nine for the same period this year, however, he said there has been a small increase in kitchen-related fires.
Source: Otago Daily Times April 29, 2020 21:00 UTC