After complaints from activists Wednesday, October 19, 2016 Avruj denies claims of human rights budget cutsHuman Rights Secretary Claudio Avruj denied yesterday that the Let’s Change (Cambiemos) administration is cutting funds to human rights organizations, in the face of claims to the contrary by activists. It’s a reorganization,” said Avruj yesterday. Several human rights organizations accuse the government of wanting to cut funding to such groups by 15 percent in the government’s 2017 budget. Yet Avruj denied the claim, alleging that the 2016 budget had been overestimated. “The Haroldo Conti Cultural Centre only needs seven million pesos to function, but the 2016 budget gave it 28 million pesos, the Mothers of the Plaza de Mayo University was given 75 million pesos, but it only needs 18 million,” he said.
Source: Bueno Aires Herald October 19, 2016 02:37 UTC