Antimony mine closes in central Newfoundland, citing COVID-19 struggles - News Summed Up

Antimony mine closes in central Newfoundland, citing COVID-19 struggles


An antimony mine in central Newfoundland has suspended its operations and laid off almost all its employees, saying it's not financially feasible to operate during the continuing COVID-19 pandemic. "This is not a decision we take lightly and fully understand the resulting impacts on our workforce and local communities," Osmond said in the statement. Upon its reopening, the mine had an expected lifespan of three-and-a-half years and made its first shipment in June 2019. The mine's ability to operate in 2020 was hampered by COVID-19, Osmond said, with production temporarily paused in March as public health restrictions hit the province, and then restarted in July at a limited capacity. "We have so far taken every reasonable measure to prevent this suspension but were sadly unable to do so," Osmond said.


Source: CBC News November 19, 2020 11:11 UTC



Loading...
Loading...
  

Loading...

                           
/* -------------------------- overlay advertisemnt -------------------------- */