KUANTAN: Police have arrested a Form Five male student for allegedly bullying a Form One student with cigarette burns at a school hostel in Bentong on Feb 11. "The incident occurred around midnight in the school hostel toilet. The victim was allegedly ordered to smoke a cigarette but refused, leading the suspect to abuse him with cigarettes,” he said in a statement on Friday (Feb 13). He said the victim informed the hostel warden about the incident before being taken to Bentong Hospital for treatment. There were also cigarette burn marks found on his body,” he said.
Source:The Star
February 13, 2026 21:19 UTC
ALOR SETAR: Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim has told Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR) to continue building on its strength and stay cohesive even as it is at its strongest at the moment. The Prime Minister said that although PKR faces heavier challenges compared with other parties, teamwork could mobilise strength and secure victory for the party. However, he said all parties must not assume that everything within the party is perfect. Anwar explained that the party's struggle must also be grounded in facts and that no country in the world has progressed by sowing the seeds of hatred. Anwar said PKR takes matters concerning Islam very seriously as it is the religion of the Federation, but the party's task is to refine the situation and not be evasive.
Source:The Star
February 13, 2026 20:59 UTC
PETALING JAYA: Amid the mass expulsion of several party leaders, Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia’s Facebook page on Thursday is replete with a series of erratic posts questioning the leadership’s actions. The Star is verifying whether the posts were made by Bersatu members or whether the page had been compromised. Update: According to sources, the official Bersatu page was hacked and a report has been lodged with Meta. The internal rift is said to have intensified, with division leaders reportedly mobilising support for Hamzah and calling for Muhyiddin’s resignation. The party has also terminated the memberships of Machang MP Wan Ahmad Fayhsal Wan Ahmad Kamal, Padang Rengas MP Azahari Hasan and Gerik MP Fathul Huzir Ayob.
Source:The Star
February 13, 2026 20:41 UTC
SHANGHAI: A gaping sinkhole was visible at a construction site outside Shanghai on Friday (Feb 13), an AFP reporter saw, a day after dramatic footage purporting to show the ground collapsing went viral. The edges of a large crater matching the location seen in the videos, a work site for a section of a new metro line, could be seen from a nearby shopping mall. Sections of the roads nearby were blocked off, with police and construction vehicles surrounding the site. Videos circulating widely appeared to show the ground suddenly begin to collapse, dragging temporary building structures into a widening chasm. Local media cited shop owners nearby as saying the incident had happened during Thursday morning rush hour.
Source:The Star
February 13, 2026 20:27 UTC
A SHOCKING video showing what appears to be a building collapse has gone viral on social media since early Friday (Feb 13) morning. But did a shophouse really collapse in Sibu, SarawakVerdict:TRUEA corner unit of a row of shophouses in Jalan Pahlawan, Sibu, collapsed early Friday. The building structure is still shifting and, earlier, debris was still falling," he said when met by the media at the scene. "This is very important for public safety," he added. He also urged shophouse owners to report to the council to enable it to gather the necessary information.
Source:The Star
February 13, 2026 20:23 UTC
THE traditional sources of science fiction have been books and movies, vividly portraying how technology could transform the way we live. In recent days, however, news about technological advances has driven home hard the reality that what we once considered normal may soon change at speeds unfathomable just a few years ago.
Source:The Star
February 13, 2026 20:11 UTC
NIBONG TEBAL: There was no greater joy for some inmates in the state than being able to reunite with their families to celebrate Chinese New Year after being selected for the licensed prisoner release programme on Friday (Feb 13). Meanwhile, Penang Prisons director Mahadzair Che Daud said 102 prospects were selected for release under the programme, comprising 67 from Seberang Perai Prison and 35 from Penang Prison. "In Penang, 32 employers are registered with Penang Prison for the CSI initiative to date, covering the manufacturing, agriculture and food sectors. We have received positive feedback from employers who are satisfied with the level of discipline and diligence shown by the prospects at work. "In fact, some employers not only provide training but also offer permanent employment opportunities upon their release,” he said.
Source:The Star
February 13, 2026 16:31 UTC
JOHOR BARU: No new tuberculosis (TB) cases have been reported in Johor so far, says state health and environment committee chairman Ling Tian Soon. Ling said this in response to a question from the media about the TB cluster in Kota Tinggi and whether any new cases have been reported in the state. On Feb 5, Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr Dzulkefly Ahmad confirmed the emergence of a TB cluster in Pengerang, Kota Tinggi, with 33 positive cases detected following the screening of 804 close contacts. One death was reported in the cluster, but confirmed that it was not caused by TB infection. On Thursday (Feb 12), Johor education and information committee chairman Aznan Tamin said that three pupils who tested positive for TB in Johor have recovered, while the remaining four are still receiving treatment.
Source:The Star
February 13, 2026 16:00 UTC
SINGAPORE: The High Commission of Malaysia in Singapore will introduce a new appointment system and revised enquiry procedures for consular services starting Feb 16, in a move aimed at improving efficiency and service delivery. In a statement on Friday (Feb 13), it said members of the public requiring consular services should book appointment slots online in advance via http://mhc-consular-appointments.com under the new appointment system. "With the implementation of the new system, all requests for appointments made through email that have not yet received a response will need to be submitted through the new system. "Appointment requests submitted through email will no longer be accepted or processed," the statement read. Additionally, the High Commission also said that all telephone enquiries on consular services will be discontinued.
Source:The Star
February 13, 2026 14:55 UTC
The parliamentary election held on Thursday was Bangladesh's first vote since the 2024 Gen Z-driven uprising that toppled long-time premier Sheikh Hasina. It was also the first national election to follow recent revolts led by the under-30s that have cropped up through the wider region. Despite the landslide result, the election had been seen as Bangladesh's first truly competitive vote in years. Turnout appeared on track on Thursday to exceed the 42% recorded in the last election in 2024. More than 2,000 candidates - including many independents - were on the ballot, and at least 50 parties contested seats, a national record.
Source:The Star
February 13, 2026 14:46 UTC
KUALA LUMPUR: Police expect the number of vehicles entering the capital to almost double ahead of the Chinese New Year celebration on Feb 17, driven by increased travel as people head back to their hometowns and to go shopping. We have identified several hotspot areas and will step up security and traffic control, particularly at locations frequented by the public,” he said. Among the ‘black spots’ identified are Jalan Kuching, Jalan Tun Razak, Jalan Sungai Besi, Jalan Damansara, Jalan Kepong and Lebuhraya Sultan Iskandar. Hotspot areas include the Segambut roundabout, Kepong roundabout, Jalan Sultan Ismail, Jalan Bukit Bintang, Jalan Yap Kwan Seng, Kampung Pandan roundabout and Jalan Istana. He advised road users to comply with traffic regulations and follow enforcement officers’ instructions to help ensure smooth traffic flow throughout the festive period.
Source:The Star
February 13, 2026 14:40 UTC
(Feb 13): Russia and Ukraine said a new round of US-led peace talks will take place in Geneva next week. Ukraine’s negotiating team is also preparing for talks with Russia and the US in Geneva next week, President Volodymyr Zelenskiy’s aide Dmytro Lytvyn told reporters in a note on WhatsApp. The meeting follows two rounds of talks since New Year in the United Arab Emirates involving military officials from Ukraine and Russia as well as US envoy Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner, President Donald Trump’s son-in-law. Russian President Vladimir Putin is demanding that Ukraine hand over territory in its eastern Donetsk region that Moscow has failed to conquer in fighting dating back to 2014. He was also part of the Russian team that held peace talks with Ukrainian officials in Istanbul weeks after the start of the February 2022 invasion.
Source:The Edge Markets
February 13, 2026 13:54 UTC
MISSED what happened today? KOTA KINABALU – The Special Action Team of the Narcotics Criminal Investigation Department performs a demonstration at the Sabah Contingent Police Headquarters. - NSTP/MOHD ADAM ARININKUALA LUMPUR – The gateway along Jalan Raja Laut near the DBKL building is beautifully illuminated with multi-coloured lights. NSTP/AMIRUDIN SAHIBJOHOR BAHRU – The Johor Causeway experiences heavy traffic congestion as captured at 11 a.m. - NSTP/NAJMI NOR’AZAMKUALA TERENGGANU – Fong Lai May meticulously prepares prayer decorations in Kampung Cina ahead of the Chinese New Year celebration. - NSTP/GHAZALI KORIAIR ITAM – Significant traffic congestion is observed along Jalan Greenlane during the evening rush at 6.40 p.m. - NSTP/AURIS FAQRURAZZI
Source:New Strait Times
February 13, 2026 13:45 UTC
KUALA LUMPUR (Feb 13): iCents Group Holdings Bhd (KL:ICENTS) has secured two subcontracts to provide air-conditioning and mechanical ventilation system works, and another to upgrade a Tenaga Nasional Bhd (KL:TENAGA) substation, worth RM29.38 million in total. The two air-conditioning and mechanical ventilation system jobs will be undertaken for data centre projects, and are worth RM10.13 million each, according to a bourse filing on Friday. They are expected to be completed on Aug 20. Meanwhile, the substation upgrade subcontract, which also includes additional electrical works, is worth RM9.12 million and slated for completion by Dec 31.iCents said the subcontracts were awarded to its unit VC Engineering Sdn Bhd by undisclosed construction companies. iCents, which listed on the ACE Market of Bursa Malaysia in July last year, provides cleanroom services, including engineering, procurement, construction, and testing and commissioning of cleanrooms catering to semiconductor and electronics manufacturing, data centre, pharmaceutical and life sciences sectors.
Source:The Edge Markets
February 13, 2026 13:24 UTC
BANGKOK, Feb 13 (Reuters) - Thailand's Bhumjaithai Party, which won Sunday's general election by a wide margin, will be joined by the third-place Pheu Thai party to form a coalition government, Thai Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said on Friday. Anutin-led Bhumjaithai romped to a surprise victory on Sunday securing 193 seats in the 500-member House of Representatives, followed by the reformist People's Party with 118 seats and the populist Pheu Thai at 74, according to Reuters' calculations based on election commission data. The support of Pheu Thai - backed by the currently imprisoned billionaire former premier Thaksin Shinawatra - will give Anutin a clear parliamentary majority, potentially paving the way for a stable coalition. "We will work together as a government and manage the country so we can do good things for the country," Anutin told reporters, after holding talks with Pheu Thai leaders. Paetongtarn was later dismissed by a court order, opening the door for Anutin to become prime minister.
Source:The Star
February 13, 2026 12:21 UTC