Eniola Akinkuotu, AbujaThe United Nations Children’s Fund has said that three children were responsible for the three bomb attacks in Konduga Village, Borno State, which claimed 30 lives and injured 40 others on Monday. According to UNICEF, two girls and a boy carried out the bombing outside a viewing centre. READ ALSO: Court verdict: INEC withdraws Certificate of Return from Ondo APC lawmakerAccording to UNICEF, five children have been used in suicide attacks since the beginning of 2019. In 2018, 48 children were used as human bombs in Nigeria, including 38 girls. Girls have been used in the vast majority of these attacks, according to UNICEF.
June 18, 2019 14:48 UTC
“For me it is a dream come true,” Rodrygo said at a press conference. “I have always said it is the dream of every child in Brazil and the world. “I’m Brazilian and we’re a bit like that, like Robinho and Neymar, I identify a little with them. “No, I would like to be the Rodrygo of Madrid. “I have spoken to Vincius since I signed and when we met in the national team we talked about the club,” Rodrygo said.
June 18, 2019 14:37 UTC
Kano State Governor Abdullahi Ganduje has shed more light on the N6.8 million said to have been swallowed by a gorilla in a Kano zoo. Ganduje, speaking with journalists shortly after meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari, on Tuesday, said that investigations are still ongoing on the matter. He said preliminary reports so far reveal that it was an armed robbery attack where a whole safe was carted away. The governor, had earlier ordered the state Anti-Corruption Commission to probe the claims by the Kano Zoological Gardens that a Gorilla in the state-owned Zoo swallowed N6.8 million. In a statement by the Chief Press Secretary to the governor, Mr Abba Anwar, on Sunday in Kano, he said, “The order was given on Friday and the commission has already swung into action.”It quoted the governor as directing the commission to look into the immediate and remote circumstances surrounding the allegation and “unearth everything surrounding the incident.”The gorilla was said to have swallowed N6.8 million generated by the Zoo as gate fees collected from tourists who visited the garden during the Eid-el-Fitr celebrations.
June 18, 2019 14:25 UTC
Kwara State House of Assembly has recommended suspension of 16 local government council chairmen in the state over an allegation bordering on misappropriation of N33billion. The House Leader, Mogaji Abubakar Olawoyin, tabled the petition, which was unanimously considered after a debate, while the lawmakers recommended the suspension of the council chairmen. According to the petitioner, the council chairmen had mismanaged and misappropriated a total sum of N33billion received from the federation accounts in the last two years. The House Leader called for a thorough investigation of the council chairmen in view of their alleged misconduct that caused the petition against them. Salaudeen Ganiyu of Omupo Constituency moved a motion for the suspension of the council chairmen pending the outcome of the investigation and was seconded by Awolola Olumide of Isin Constituency.
Omawunmi releases new album title ‘In her feeling’NIGERIAN Afro-pop star, Omowumi Megbele a.k.a Omawunmi has released a new song titled ‘In her feeling’. The singer, who crooned about the topics that matter in the present time, also expressed excitation over the fulfillment of the project. ALSO READ: Buhari mourns victims of bomb blast in Konduga‘In her feeling’ released recently, is her fourth album in 10 years. The songs offer an insight into Omawumi’s state of mind on topics of love, politics, personal struggles, life goals, emotional awareness, and abuse. The song, produced by Hernanez Music, is the album art for Omawumi’s fourth studio album.
REVEREND Dr Samson Ayokunle has retained his post as the President, Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) after defeating Elder Dr Caleb Ahima of TEKAN/ECWA block. According to the report of the election conducted by Rev Fr Dr Hassan Kukah-led electoral committee, Ayokunle scored 59 while Ahima scored 44. Ayokunle is the President of the Nigerian Baptist Convention while Ahima is the Chairman of the TEKAN/ECWA block in CAN. Ahima, according to the Constitution of CAN now becomes the Vice President. He replaces the immediate past Vice President, Elder Prof Joseph Otubu.
The Code of Conduct Tribunal on Tuesday fixed July 4 for the arraignment of former Speaker of Bayelsa State, Kombowei Benson and four other serving and former staff of the assembly over alleged abuse of office. Those to be charged alongside the speaker are former Clerk of assembly, Aaron Timiye and former Accountant, Thomas Tamaraodubo. Others are Owudogu Edward serving Clerk, of the assembly and Koroye Stephen, serving accountant of the assembly. NAN reports that the arraignment, which was supposed to hold on Tuesday, was stalled due to the ill health of the Chairman CCT, Justice Danladi UmarThe Federal Government filed four counts bordering on allegations of abuse of office against the defendants.
June 18, 2019 14:03 UTC
Sunday Aborisade, AbujaSenate President, Ahmed Lawan, has approved the appointments of Babagana Muhammad Aji as his Chief of Staff. He also appointed Mr. Festus Adedayo as his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity. The appointments according to a statement by the Special Adviser to the Senate President on Administration, Dr. Betty Okoroh, are with immediate effect. He started his career with the University of Maiduguri in 1987 as Administrative Assistant and rose to become the Registrar of the University in 1997. He later joined the services of University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital where he was appointed as Director in 2016.
June 18, 2019 13:54 UTC
John Ameh, AbujaKano State Governor, Abdullahi Ganduje, has rejected claims that a Gorilla swallowed N6.8million in a Kano zoo. He said the zoo in question had no gorilla. He also spoke on the crisis between the Emir of Kano, Lamido Sanusi II and the state government, resulting in the creation of an additional five emirate councils by the government. The governor, who spoke with State House Correspondents in Abuja, said efforts were on to end the disputeDetails later. DOWNLOAD THE PUNCH NEWS APP NOW ON
June 18, 2019 13:41 UTC
Borussia Dortmund coach Lucien Favre has extended his contract until the end of 2020/21, the Bundesliga club confirmed on Tuesday. Favre, 61, took the reins at Dortmund at the beginning of last season and led the club to a second-place Bundesliga finish behind perennial title winners Bayern Munich in his first year in charge. He has fulfilled expectations 100 percent,” said sporting director Michael Zorc in a statement on the club website. The Swiss coach’s contract was set to expire at the end of next season, but will now run until June 30 2021. Favre said he was looking forward to “constructive and successful work with the whole Borussia Dortmund team” in the coming years.
June 18, 2019 13:30 UTC
“We — I’m talking about several of our financial and media organisations, state institutions and critical infrastructure — have been under attack for several years,” Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said. The cyber attacks “come from various Western countries, including the US,” he added. Peskov said that President Vladimir Putin had “several times suggested to Washington and his American counterpart to work together in the field of cybersecurity. US President Donald Trump reacted with fury to the report, calling it on Twitter a “virtual act of Treason” and rejecting the paper’s claims. The Times report came after an investigation by US special counsel Robert Mueller of alleged hacking by Russia’s GRU intelligence agency and social media manipulation by Russia’s Internet Research Agency to benefit Trump’s election campaign.
June 18, 2019 13:18 UTC
Justin Tyopuusu JalingoAt least 13 people are said to have been killed and houses burnt in two separate attacks in Ardo Kola and Donga Local Government Areas of Taraba State. Many houses have been burnt and there is a threat of possible attack again by the armed Fulani militia who are threatening to attack Kona village,” he said. Police Public Relations Officer in the state, DSP David Misal, told journalists that five people were killed in the attack while one person was killed in an attack around the Wukari-Donga border. “The Police Public Relations Officer said, “Five people were killed in the attack on Janibanibu near Jalingo. Meanwhile, Kona women on Tuesday staged a massive protest against the continued attacks on their communities and killings of their people by armed herdsmen.
June 18, 2019 13:18 UTC
Adekunle Peter, BeninReverend Father Isaac Agabi, who was abducted last Sunday by gunmen suspected to be herdsmen, has regained his freedom. Father Agabi, who is the priest in charge of Holy Name Catholic Church, Ikpeshi, in Akoko-Edo Local Government Area of Edo State, was kidnapped along Auchi-Igarra road at about 5.00 pm, while on his way back to the parish. It was gathered that he ran away from his abductors in the early hours of Tuesday. READ ALSO: VIDEO: Buhari meets APC governorsEgielewa also confirmed that no ransom was paid to secure the release of the victim from his abductors. Agabi escaped from the kidnappers when they slept off in the night.
June 18, 2019 13:07 UTC
Abiodun Nejo, Ado EkitiAn Ado Ekiti Magistrates’ Court has sentenced a former Chairman of Ado Local Government Area, Mr Taye Fasuba, to six months imprisonment over unlawful entry into a land and malicious damage to property. Monica Ikebuilo, had told the court that Fasuba, who is former Special Assistant to former Governor Ayodele Fayose on Union Matters, committed the offence on January 14, 2018, at Moferere, Ado Ekiti, in the Ado Ekiti Magisterial District. The senior magistrate declared: “On count 1, the defendant is found guilty as charged, he is hereby sentenced to six months imprisonment with an option of N20,000 fine. On count 2, the defendant is found guilty as charged, he is hereby sentenced to six months imprisonment with an option of N20,000 fine” as he was discharged and acquitted of the third count. “The prison term is to run concurrently while the fine is cumulative,” the chief magistrate said.
June 18, 2019 12:56 UTC
Suspected Boko Haram jihadists have overrun a military base and looted a nearby town in northeast Nigeria, security sources and residents said Tuesday, the latest such attack in the restive region. They were suspected to be from IS-affiliated Boko Haram faction known as the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP). “The gunmen drove into the town around 6pm (1700GMT) after overpowering soldiers in the base,” Gajiram resident Mele Butari told AFP. The attacks appeared to be the work of a Boko Haram faction loyal to longtime leader Abubakar Shekau. Boko Haram violence has spilt over into neighbouring Niger, Chad and Cameroon, prompting the formation of a regional military coalition to defeat the jihadist group.
June 18, 2019 12:45 UTC