El Sharara, Libya’s largest oil field, resumed production late on Thursday after gunmen from the mountain town of Zintan, closing an oil pipeline in the neighbouring town of Rayayna, agreed to end their protest. The National Oil Corporation (NOC) said it had restored over 200,000 barrels per day of oil production with immediate effect. The NOC said oil production was resumed after unconditional agreement reached by Zintan elders and Petroleum Facilities Guard with the protesters. “Resumption of El Sharara production will also mean resumption of production of Al-Feel oil field, which produces 80.000 bpd,” the NOC added. Last week Sanallah declared that Libya’s oil output had declined from 700.000 to 490.000 bpd due to the closure of El Sharara oil field.
Libya has lost $107 billion (LYD 150 billion) from the closure of oil fields and ports in mid-2013 up to December 2016, the Libyan Audit Bureau’s 2016 report has shown. The report indicated that state revenues for 2016 were less than LYD 8.6 billion, while expenditure has hit LYD 30 billion. A deficit of LYD 21 billion was recorded, bringing the cumulative shortfall between 2012-2016 to LYD 57 billion.
Libya Coast Guard seized two oil-smuggling tankers off the country’s western coast on Friday, a navy official said. He said the two tankers refused orders of Coast Guard patrols to stop, igniting more than three hours of exchange of fire with fuel smugglers escorting the tankers. “Our patrols managed to seize the two tankers,” he said. Qasim declined to give further information on the incident. Earlier this month, Libyan Coast Guard killed four human smugglers after they refused to obey orders to stop.
The Municipality of Ghat has received a new shipment of hardware and specialized equipment for internet systems WiMAX and ADSL. Mayor Qumani Mohammed Saleh said new communication towers will be installed in the city to accelerate provision of internet services for all citizens. The first stage of the project will include Awainat area and the city center of Ghat, while the second phase will cover the rest of the districts. Qumani confirmed that installation of the towers was delayed due to several reasons including irregular flights between Ghat and Tripoli and instability in the southern region, which all had its negative impact on the time schedule agreed upon with the General Authority for Communications and Informatics. Libya Telecom and Technology Company had earlier located where to install the internet towers to identify the most suitable places by the company.
The committee formed by the judicial expertise and research center said in its preliminary report that some of the suicides that swept the eastern city of Al-Bayda lately were due to "online extortion." "Charlie Charlie game has nothing to do with the suicide cases." "Forensic doctors also confirmed in their reports that there were no threads of evidence leading to any kind of crime." The committee said it had discovered that certain cases were subject to online blackmailing and outward pressure over emotional relationships. Several suicide cases took place recently in Al-Bayda, eastern Libya, especially among youngsters, which left Libyans across the country wondering as to what could be the reasons behind such heart-breaking incidents.
BERLIN — Libya is asking the European Union for motorboats and helicopters to help patrol the Mediterranean Sea for ships carrying migrants. The German government says a "request list" for Libya's coast guard also includes ambulances, communications equipment and night vision gear. According to the German government's response to a parliamentary question from the opposition Left Party, obtained by The Associated Press, the EU executive is currently considering the request. German public broadcaster ARD reported Wednesday that Libya wants some of the 130 motorboats to be armed. The Associated Press
4 Leading Newspapers Laying the Groundwork for Another Disastrous Regime Change WarThe same media that cheered the disastrous intervention in Libya want to overthrow Assad in Syria. A 2011 NATO regime change war, justified on putative "humanitarian" grounds, obliterated Libya's government and pushed the oil-rich African country into a bloody civil war that has displaced millions, killed thousands and destabilized an entire region. During the run-up to the unprovoked war of regime change in Libya, the major organs of American media went all in for intervention. Here are five major newspapers that invited regime change in Libya and are laying the groundwork for an all-new disaster in Syria. And yet like the neoconservatives, the Washington Post did not blame NATO regime change, but rather "swift withdrawal and subsequent failure to assist in stabilizing the country."
Fresh batch of 253 Nigerians return from LibyaNo fewer than 253 more Nigerians voluntarily returned from Libya on Tuesday aboard a chartered Airbus A330-200 with registration mark 5A-LAT operated by Libya AirlinesThe News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the aircraft landed about 6.45pm at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos. Also on ground to receive them were officials of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) and the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN). He said :”Let’s thank God that these ones have returned safely because Libya is not what it used to be. He said NEMA would continue to work with IOM to bring back Nigerians willing to return, adding that the programme was continuous. NAN reports that a total of 236 Nigerians had in March voluntarily returned from the North African country where they had been stranded enroute Europe.
253 Nigerians deported from Libya arrive Lagos AirportBy Lawani Mikairu253 Nigerians, who have been stranded in Libya were Tuesday deported back to Nigeria aboard an Airbus A333-200 with registration number 5A LAT. The 253 returnees who were conveyed on the Libyan Airline plane comprised of 140 adult females and 8 children. This is the largest single batch of deportees to arrive Lagos Airport in recent times. We need to let them realize that the country they left some years ago is not the same country they are meeting today. The post 253 Nigerians deported from Libya arrive Lagos Airport appeared first on Vanguard News.
For hundreds of thousands of desperate migrants, Italy became a safe harbor, a landing place for those crossing the treacherous cobalt blue of the central Mediterranean Sea. and stop migrants from crossing into Libyan territory,” said Ahmed Safar, the Libyan ambassador to Italy. According to a report by UNICEF, 34 migrant detention centers have been identified in Libya. “The detention centers do not meet the basic conditions” for humans, said Othman Belbeisi, head of the IOM’s Libya mission. In response, the Italian Parliament this month approved a law that limits the appeal process for rejected asylum seekers.
A Russian delegation arrived Tuesday morning in Tripoli, according to the media office of the Libyan foreign ministry. The delegation is headed by Russian Deputy Foreign Minister, Mikhail Bogdanov, and the Minister of Industry, who both, along with the rest of the delegates, met with Fayez Al-Sirraj, the Head of the UN-proposed government, the Foreign Minister, Mohammed Sayala, the Chief of the Presidential Guard, Najmi Nakoa and other officials. The deputy head of the Presidential Council, Ahmed Mitig met with a Russian Doma member late last year in Tripoli, where they both discussed the return of Russian diplomats to the capital among other issues. The current visit of the Russian delegation, which only lasts one day, has also discussed economic and political relations between the two countries and the political process in Libya, besides the issue of the detained Russian sailors. Realated News:Al-Bunyan Al-Marsoos Operation commanders arrive in Moscow for talks with Russian officialsRussia ready to cooperate with all Libyan partiesRussian Foreign Ministry: Doing our best to free Russian sailors in LibyaChechen president wants Russian sailors be freed from Libya
The Pre-Trial Chamber I of the International Criminal Court (ICC) unsealed the warrant of arrest for Al-Tuhami Mohamned Khaled, the chief of interior security department in the Gaddafi regime. "The Gaddafi regime official is allegedly responsible for war crimes and crimes against humanity in the context of the situation in Libya in 2011." The ICC also remarked that the unsealing of the warrant was requested by the ICC Prosecutor, Fatou Bensouda. According to the ICC's report, the arrest warrant was issued under seal on April 18, 2013. Om March 03, 2011 the ICC Prosecutor decided to open investigation into the situation in Libya.
Sven Giegold: Caruana Galizia should hand all documents to PANA inquiry committeeGerman MEP Sven Giegold has called on Malta Independent columnist Daphne Caruana Galizia to hand all relevant documentation pertaining to her allegations on Prime Minister Joseph Muscat, to the Panama Papers committee of inquiry in the European Parliament.The Green MEP, a member of the PANA committee and finance spokesperson for the Green Group, said both Caruana Galizia and Muscat should hand all relevant documents to the PANA committee.“The accusations regarding the Prime Minister’s wife have to be properly investigated. Given the poor track record of financial supervisors and anti-money laundering regulators in Malta, we understand that Mrs Caruana Galizia does not trust the Maltese institutions. Therefore, we suggest to Mrs Caruana Galizia as well as Prime Minister Muscat to hand all relevant documents to the PANA inquiry committee of the European Parliament,” Giegold said.The MEP said that Malta had to put its house in order, and said the allegations regarding the Prime Minister’s wife turn out to be true, this would be another serious blow in Malta’s fight against corruption and money laundering after the involvement of Konrad Mizzi and Keith Schembri in the Panama Papers.“To regain credibility, the presidency-in-office of the Council must support the creation of public register on beneficial owners of companies and trusts in the current negotiations of the Anti-Money Laundering Directive,” Giegold said.In statements this week, the Malta Union of Bank Employees appealed to all financial institutions to ensure they conduct their business with integrity, consistency and efficiency.“Anything short of that could jeopardize our nation’s credibility and pose a potential risk to the country’s future wellbeing. MUBE also insists that ‘partisan politics’ should not take centre-stage, in order to allow a free democratic process to rule during these difficult times.“Let’s be clear, we all have an obligation to ensure that the course of justice is not ‘thwarted’ and that should only be about establishing the facts, verifying them and following up with decisive actions by acting accordingly for the benefit of our country’s reputation,” MUBE said.The Institute for Financial Services Practitioners also said it was very concerned “that the ethical fibre of the entire financial services industry in Malta” was being called into question ‘facetiously’.“It is essential that the responsible institutions and law enforcement agencies should effectively, and in a timely manner, take all necessary steps to ensure that the law is enforced, or our country’s reputation will be irremediably tarnished…“It is this very instability, also caused by the manner in which recent allegations have been handled by our institutions and law enforcement agencies, that is threatening our financial services industry, which has over the years become one of the pillars of the Maltese economy.”The IFSP said politicians should be aware of the long-term effects on an industry that was prone to being lost to competition. “The IFSP is concerned that there now appears to be a breakdown of the rule of law, and we should not underestimate the impact which this has on foreign investors who are investing their money and time in our country, thereby helping to generate employment and to finance the country by paying taxes.”
Malta is only 0.4 percentage points away from reaching its 2020 national employment rate target of 70%, according to Eurostat dataMalta is only 0.4 percentage points away from reaching its 2020 national target for employment rates, Eurostat data has shown.The Europe 2020 strategy target is to reach a total employment rate for people aged 20 to 64 of at least 75% in the EU by 2020. An increase was observed all member states except Luxembourg where it remained nearly stable.The Eurostat data also showed that Malta registered the widest gender employment gap for those aged 20-64 from all member states, with a difference of -27.6 percentage points (55.5% for women versus 83.1% for men).Big gaps were also recorded in Italy (-20.1 percentage points), Greece (-19 percentage points), Romania (-17.6 percentage points) and the Czech Republic (-16.0 percentage points). On the other end of the spectrum, the gap was lowest in Lithuania (74.3% for women versus 76.2% for men, or -1.9 percentage points), Latvia (-2.9 percentage points), Finland (-3.3 percentage points) and Sweden (-3.8 percentage points).From 2002 onwards, the employment rate of people aged 55-64 in the EU has grown steadily to reach 55.3% in 2016, compared with 38.4% in 2002. The growth was stronger for women, who registered a increase from 29.1% in 2002 to 48.9% in 2016, than for men, who marked an increase from 48.2% in 2002 to 62% in 2016). As a consequence, the gap between the employment rate of women and men aged 55-64 in the EU has been reduced, from a 19.1 percentage points difference in 2002 to a 13.1 percentage points difference in 2016.
The Head of the UN-proposed government's Presidential Council, Fayez Al-Sirraj, has been invited to visit the White House to meet with the US President, Donald Trump, next June reported The New Arab news website, citing sources from Al-Sirraj's government. According to the sources, Al-Sirraj will also meet with the commander of the self-styled army in eastern Libya, Khalifa Haftar, in Washington, in what seems to be a brokered meeting under the auspices of the US.