Uber reported better-than-expected revenue of $14.37 billion in its fourth-quarter earnings report on Wednesday, although its shares slipped in premarket trading after the results were released. The ride-hailing and delivery company said revenue for the period ended in December reached $14.37 billion, slightly above analysts’ estimate of $14.32 billion. Revenue increased from $12 billion a year earlier, with the mobility segment generating $8.2 billion, up 19% from the previous year, and delivery revenue rising 30% to $4.9 billion. Analysts had expected mobility revenue of $8.3 billion and delivery revenue of $4.72 billion. CEO Dara Khosrowshahi said delivery growth was strongest in the Europe, Middle East, and Africa region.

February 04, 2026 18:09 UTC

Prosecutors on Wednesday filed charges against 12 Israeli suspects, including reservist soldiers, for offences including “assisting the enemy in wartime,” over the alleged smuggling of prohibited goods into war-shattered Gaza. It described the operation as a “serious case of organised, systematic, and sophisticated smuggling of various goods into the Gaza Strip for profit,” which began in the summer of 2025, when war was still raging in Gaza. The justice ministry statement said charges had been filed against 12 individuals and one company. A joint statement from the police and Israel’s Shin Bet domestic intelligence agency confirmed they had “arrested several Israeli citizens and Gaza Strip residents who smuggled goods prohibited from entering the Gaza Strip”. Israeli media reported that the brother of Israel’s Shin Bet chief, David Zini, was allegedly linked to smuggling cigarettes into Gaza.

February 04, 2026 18:01 UTC

Wike gave the assurance on Wednesday while inspecting several ongoing infrastructure projects in the FCT, insisting that governance and service delivery would continue irrespective of political timelines. Politics has its own time, and the work will continue to go on. “The only way to make sure that people will be happy and see that the Renewed Hope Agenda is real is to continue with the work,” Wike said. Wike later visited an extensive road corridor running from Euclid Road through Bright Road to Tungan Madaki, a stretch of about seven kilometres. On Tuesday, Wike expressed satisfaction with the pace and quality of ongoing road and infrastructure projects across Abuja, following an inspection of several key sites.

February 04, 2026 17:35 UTC

While the late Aboderin was honoured with the Media Icon Award, Akande received the Merit Award of Excellence. Speaking at the event, Governor Seyi Makinde traced his personal journey to the free education policy of the late Chief Bola Ige, describing it as a defining pillar of the state’s legacy. That is Oyo State, the beauty of what we are celebrating today. “Infrastructure renewal, security reforms and urban modernisation later became defining priorities, helping the state overcome periods of tension and institutional testing. The PUNCH reports that Makinde inaugurated the state’s 50th anniversary on Monday, January 26, at the International Conference Centre, University of Ibadan.

February 04, 2026 17:20 UTC

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has invited qualified professionals to express interest in joining the United Nations Resident Coordinator/Humanitarian Coordinator Talent Pipeline. In a statement on Wednesday, the Ministry’s spokesperson, Kimiebi Imomotimi Ebienfa, said the initiative seeks “high-calibre professionals to join leadership roles within the United Nations Resident Coordinator and Humanitarian Coordinator system.”“The RC/HC Talent Pipeline is designed to identify and prepare individuals for leadership positions, while broadening and diversifying the pool of eligible candidates,” the statement said. Applications for this cycle will close on Thursday, 12 February 2026, at 23:59 hours (EST). “We encourage all eligible professionals with leadership capacity and dedication to multilateral cooperation, humanitarian action, and sustainable development to submit their applications within the stipulated time frame,” the statement added. Further information on eligibility requirements, application procedures, and the Talent Pipeline framework is available on the official UN website: unsdg.un.org/2030-agenda/leadership/resident-coordinator-humanitarian-coordinator-rchc-talent-pipeline

February 04, 2026 17:08 UTC





(FILES) France's midfielder NGolo Kante kicks the ball during the Nations League football match between France and Portugal, on October 11, 2020 at the Stade de France in Saint-Denis, outside Paris. (Photo by FRANCK FIFE / AFP)France midfielder Ngolo Kante has signed for Fenerbahce from Saudi outfit Al-Ittihad thanks to “support” from president Recep Tayyip Erdogan, the Turkish club said on Wednesday. “Our club has successfully completed the transfer of N’Golo Kante, a prominent figure in world football,” Fenerbahce president Sadettin Saran said. “On behalf of myself and our club, I would like to express my gratitude to our President Recep Tayyip Erdogan for his significant support in ensuring the positive conclusion of this process, which will contribute to the development of both Fenerbahce and Turkish football,” he added. Fenerbahce, 19 times Turkish champions, have also signed Kante’s fellow France midfielder Matteo Guendouzi during the winter transfer window.

February 04, 2026 17:04 UTC

The ongoing demolition in Makoko community has been put on hold following a meeting held between the community representatives and the Lagos State Government. Authorities also indicated that discussions around compensation and next steps for affected residents will continue. The decision followed a meeting held today, Tuesday, February 3, 2026, where Makoko representatives laid out grievances over displacement, loss of homes, and the impact of the demolitions on daily life. Residents say the pause offers temporary relief as they await clearer plans for resettlement and compensation.

February 04, 2026 16:51 UTC

The Peoples Democratic Party in Kwara State has criticised Governor Abdulrahman AbdulRazaq’s response to the recent bandit attack on Woro and Nuku communities in Kaiama Local Government Area, describing it as cosmetic and devoid of concrete reassurance for victims. According to the PDP, Kwara state required far more than “propaganda, photo-ops and hollow sympathy messages” to confront insurgency and banditry. “This incident is yet another reminder that what Kwara urgently needs is decisive, practical and people-oriented leadership,” the statement read. The PDP also accused the governor of presenting a distorted picture of the security situation in the state. “Unfortunately, the governor’s statement is riddled with self-adulation and a misleading portrayal of security in Kwara State,” it said, insisting that insecurity remained widespread.

February 04, 2026 16:41 UTC

The Court of Appeal sitting in Owerri, Imo, has dismissed an application seeking to stop Abia State government from appointing judges in the state. Delivering a lead ruling on Wednesday in Owerri, Honourable Justice Ntong Ntong, said the application lay against the Court of Appeal and had no basis in law. The Justice held that the applicants’ claim that the Court of Appeal refused to hear their appeal was a lie. Reacting to the judgment, the Attorney General of Abia State, Sir Ikechukwu Uwanna, SAN, described it as a liberation for Abia. He said: ‘The Justices have liberated the judiciary in Abia State from shackles of operation.”Recalled that over the past few years, the Abia State judiciary has not been able to appoint judges, and that has stalled the process of administration of justice in Abia.

February 04, 2026 16:31 UTC

The Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, on Wednesday received popular American streamer and internet personality, Kai Cenat, at the Lagos House, Marina. Gawat said Cenat, who is on his second visit to Lagos, paid the governor a courtesy visit and shared his experiences during his stay in the state. “Kai Cenat is in Lagos to follow up on some projects and initiatives he plans to execute for kids and young people in Lagos State, Nigeria,” Gawat said. Officials of the Lagos State Government did not disclose further details of Cenat’s itinerary or the nature of his engagements during the visit. His visit comes weeks after another American streamer, IShowSpeed, toured Lagos, drawing large crowds and widespread attention on social media.

February 04, 2026 16:21 UTC

In a statement signed by the NRC’s Chief Public Relations Officer, Callistus Unyimadu, on Tuesday, the corporation described the development as a “worrisome report” detailing the destruction and removal of fixed railway assets along its right-of-way in Ibadan South-West Local Government Area of Oyo State. According to the NRC, the incident occurred on Monday and was allegedly carried out by the Chairman of Ibadan South-West Local Government Council, Kehinde Amada, who was said to be personally present at the scene. The NRC described the action as a “grave violation of federal railway assets” and confirmed that it has commenced comprehensive documentation of the incident. The Corporation added that “The Nigerian Railway Corporation will not fold its arms while critical national assets are vandalised,” stressing that the matter goes beyond local governance and touches on national infrastructure protection. In the statement, the Managing Director of the NRC, Dr. Kayode Opeifa, appealed directly to the Oyo State Governor to intervene by calling the Ibadan South-West Local Government chairman to order.

February 04, 2026 16:09 UTC

The election petition Tribunal sitting in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital, has dismissed the petition brought before it by the Social Democratic Party (SDP) against the victory of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) candidate, Hon.Folajimi Oyekunle, in the August 16, 2025, by-election in Ibadan North Federal Constituency. The SDP, had prayed the Tribunal to nullify the election that produced Honourable Oyekunle as winner and declare its candidate as the winner. Counsel to Hon.Folajimi and PDP, Tunji Ogunrinde, SAN, while defending the petition, raised an objection to the competence of the petition. Ogunrinde, SAN, further prayed the tribunal to dismiss the petition for the petitioner’s failure to list the candidate as a party to the petition. The petition was consequently dismissed for lacking in merit, and cost of N2million was awarded in favour of the PDP and its candidate, Honourable Folajimi Oyekunle.

February 04, 2026 16:01 UTC

Ekiti State Government has commenced a two-day Livelihood Restoration Training for 97 identified vulnerable Project Affected Persons (PAPs) impacted by land acquisition for the Ekiti Knowledge Zone (EKZ) Project. He said beneficiaries of the programme span multiple vulnerable categories, including tenant farmers, hunters, women engaged in oil palm processing and petty trading, as well as other persons affected by land acquisition and displacement. In her remarks, the Project Coordinator, Ms Lolade Olutola who spoke through the Environmental Safeguards Expert in charge of the project, Ayodele Aluko, assured the project affected persons of inclusivity and transparency in project implementation. She noted that all stakeholders including farmers, hunters, and oil palm processors who were originally operating within the EKZ project site would benefit from periodic stipends and livelihood support. The EKZ Project stands as a cornerstone of this vision.”

February 04, 2026 16:01 UTC

Sahara Group has joined policymakers, regulators, operators, and global partners at the Opening Ceremony of the 2026 Nigeria International Energy Summit (NIES) in Abuja, reinforcing its commitment to shaping a sustainable, innovative, and globally competitive energy sector across Africa. At the same time, regulators across Africa must accelerate policy harmonization to create a predictable, integrated, and investor-friendly environment.”Ajibade noted that Africa’s energy transition must be responsible, inclusive, and anchored in its developmental context. The world is watching Africa and we must rise to the occasion,” the Sahara Group boss added. Ajibade, however, restated the Group’s unwavering commitment to investing in new technologies, developing human capital, and forging strategic partnerships that will strengthen Africa’s energy security and competitiveness. He nonetheless reaffirms that Sahara Group would continue to champion initiatives that support sustainable development, energy transition, and inclusive growth across the continent, reaffirming its role as a leading partner in Africa’s energy evolution.

February 04, 2026 16:01 UTC

Bauchi State Governor, Bala Abdulkadir Mohammed, has hailed the zeal and determination of the founding fathers and actors of the actualisation of the creation of the old Bauchi State in 1976. “The take-off and sustained existence of Bauchi State since 1976 were made possible through the vision and sacrifice of our founding fathers. “Each administration, in its own way, contributed to the growth, stability, and continuity of Bauchi State. Bauchi State occupies a total land area of 49,549 square kilometres, representing about 5.3% of Nigeria’s total land mass. “I, therefore, call on all citizens of Bauchi State to emulate the sacrifice, discipline, and commitment of our founding fathers.

February 04, 2026 16:01 UTC