Speaking on Accra-based Channel One TV on Friday, January 16, Safo said the operational challenges are affecting Aayalolo’s core mandate of easing traffic congestion in major urban centres. He explained that buses designed to operate on dedicated lanes are frequently caught in general traffic, significantly affecting turnaround times. Of the 245 buses initially delivered for Aayalolo operations, 72 were reassigned by the previous Transport Ministry to other metropolitan areas, including Kumasi, Sekondi-Takoradi, and Tamale. He added that as of Thursday, between 12 and 13 buses across various corridors had been sent to workshops for maintenance and repairs. Despite these challenges, Safo stressed that Aayalolo remains committed to delivering efficient mass transit services but will require additional support and improved traffic management measures to effectively fulfil its mandate.

January 17, 2026 21:12 UTC

General News of Saturday, 17 January 2026Source: www.ghanaweb.comManagement of the Ghana Education Service (GES) has reacted to a video circulating on social media alleging poor food conditions at Savelugu Senior High School, assuring the public that the matter is being investigated. In a press release dated January 16, 2026, GES stated that it takes the quality of student feeding very seriously and prioritises proper nutrition across all public schools. GES clears feeding grant arrears for special schools, SHS and SHTSGES, however, acknowledged the incident at Savelugu Senior High School but described it as an isolated case that does not reflect the overall feeding situation in schools across the country. “Management wishes to assure the public, especially parents, that the incident at Savelugu Senior High School is an isolated case and does not reflect the overall feeding status nationwide. “As part of our continued commitment to ensuring quality feeding for students, the GES Monitoring Team will intensify unannounced monitoring visits to schools,” the statement added.

January 17, 2026 20:51 UTC

General News of Saturday, 17 January 2026Source: GNARoad traffic crashes killed 2,673 people in Ghana between January and November 2025, an 18.5 percent rise, prompting renewed calls for safer driving in 2026. The National Road Safety Authority (NRSA) said speeding, drink-driving, unlicensed driving, and the use of unregistered vehicles remained the leading causes of crashes, underscoring the need for sustained enforcement and public education. He added that the NRSA visited lorry stations nationwide to educate drivers while vehicles were being loaded. According to the National Road Traffic Crash and Casualty Situation Statistics Report, 13,320 crashes were recorded during the period, involving 22,532 vehicles and resulting in 15,173 injuries. He appealed to all road users to be law-abiding and safety-conscious, wished Ghanaians safe journeys in 2026, and expressed hope for significant reductions in road traffic deaths.

January 17, 2026 20:51 UTC

The KMA has directed vendors to vacate the stretch by January 20, 2026, to make way for the construction of a dual-carriageway project aimed at easing traffic congestion in Kumasi. However, the affected traders say they are frustrated by what they describe as delays and a lack of concrete action on compensation, despite earlier assurances from the Assembly. According to the vendors, they are willing to cooperate with the road construction project but insist that compensation must be paid before they vacate their trading spaces. The traders have therefore called on the KMA to fulfil its commitment, warning that they will resist relocation if compensation is not paid as promised. The dual-carriageway project forms part of the Assembly’s broader efforts to improve traffic flow and reduce congestion along the busy Santasi–Asokwa corridor.

January 17, 2026 20:42 UTC

Business News of Saturday, 17 January 2026Source: GNAResidents and traders along La Police Road and parts of Oko-Dan in Accra are facing difficulties as the 20 pesewa coin disappears from daily transactions. Although the coin remains legal tender, its use in small purchases has become increasingly challenging, causing inconvenience to both residents and traders. Residents said spending the 20 pesewa coin had become difficult, with many traders refusing to accept it due to low demand from customers and transport operators. Lydia Badu, a resident of La Police Road, recounted that after receiving 20 pesewa coins as change for buying cassava and corn dough, three different shops rejected the coins when she attempted to use them. Sedrick Owusu, a trader along La Police Road, said shop owners were sometimes compelled to reject the coins because customers often paid with large amounts, sometimes up to GH¢20, entirely in 20 pesewa coins.

January 17, 2026 20:32 UTC





Sports News of Saturday, 17 January 2026Source: www.ghanaweb.comNigeria have secured the bronze medal at the ongoing 2025 Africa Cup of Nations after beating record holders Egypt on penalties in the third placed game at the Stade Mohamed V in Casablanca. The Super Eagles who failed to qualify to the finals after losing on penalties to Morocco redeemed themselves on Saturday, January 17, 2025, after beating the Pharaohs 4-2 in the shoutout. The Super Eagles dominated the game in terms of possession but the Egyptian had the better chances in the game and had 4 shots on targets from the 5 attempts in the game. With the game goalless in 90 minutes, penalties decided the game in favor of Nigeria who scored 4 out of their 5 kicks. Meanwhile, watch Ghanaians rate Daniel Laryea’s performance and predict the 2025 AFCON final.

January 17, 2026 19:41 UTC

General News of Saturday, 17 January 2026Source: www.ghanaweb.comThe National Anti-Illegal Mining Operations Secretariat (NAIMOS), working with the Birim Central Municipal Security Council, has apprehended five Chinese nationals, including a woman for engaging in illegal mining activities commonly known as galamsey along the Birim River. 14 regions in Ghana severely impacted by galamsey – Expert"National Security and NAIMOS, in collaboration with the Birim Central Municipal Security Council, have arrested five Chinese nationals at Akim Oda for engaging in illegal mining activities along the Birim River," the post read. The suspects were reportedly polluting the river with their mining activities when the security team intervened. Galamsey: Is illegal mining an undeclared war on Ghana's future? Watch the video below:National Security and NAIMOS, in collaboration with the Birim Central Municipal Security Council, have arrested five Chinese nationals at Akim Oda for engaging in illegal mining activities along the Birim River.

January 17, 2026 18:42 UTC

Sports News of Saturday, 17 January 2026Source: ghanasoccernet.comThe 2025 Africa Cup of Nations in Morocco has already rewritten the tournament’s history, becoming the highest-scoring edition ever with 120 goals recorded before Sunday’s final. This surpasses the previous record of 102 goals set at the 2019 edition in Egypt, highlighting the attacking ambition, technical quality, and confidence displayed by African teams throughout the competition. Brahim Diaz of Morocco leads the scoring charts with five goals, closely followed by Egypt’s Mohamed Salah and Nigeria’s Victor Osimhen, both on four. Tactical evolution fuels scoringAFCON 2025 has seen coaches embrace bolder, more expansive tactics, allowing forwards to thrive in attacking systems. The expansion to 24 teams has added depth without diluting quality, proving that larger tournaments can still deliver high-scoring, entertaining football.

January 17, 2026 18:37 UTC

Senegal are aiming to win the competition for a second time, having lifted the trophy in 2022, when they face hosts Morocco. The FSF said a "lack of adequate security" left players and staff "at risk". "What happened yesterday was not normal," Senegal manager Pape Thiaw said. Meanwhile, Thiaw said he hopes Sunday's final, which kicks off at 19:00 GMT, will not be Sadio Mane's last ever game at the tournament. Following Wednesday's semi-final win against Egypt, Mane, who scored the winner, told reporters he would not play at Afcon again.

January 17, 2026 17:59 UTC

General News of Saturday, 17 January 2026Source: www.ghanaweb.comThe Conference of Presiding Members in the Volta Region has congratulated Togbe Afede XIV on his appointment to the Presidential Advisory Group on the Economy, describing the nomination as a recognition of his exemplary leadership and contribution to national development. According to him, Togbe Afede XIV’s extensive experience in enterprise, governance and traditional leadership places him in a strategic position to add value to national economic policy formulation and transformation efforts. “Your depth of experience places you in a unique position to contribute meaningfully to our national economic policy and transformation,” the statement noted. The Presiding Members also extended prayers and best wishes to Togbe Afede XIV, calling for divine guidance and strength as he assumes the role. Togbe Afede XIV, a respected traditional leader and accomplished entrepreneur, has over the years played prominent roles in national and regional development initiatives, earning widespread respect across political, business and traditional leadership circles.

January 17, 2026 16:52 UTC

Sports News of Saturday, 17 January 2026Source: ghanasoccernet.comFormer Ghana striker, Asamoah Gyan has hailed Kudus Mohammed as a player with the potential to reach world-class status. Kudus Mohammed has managed only two goals in 19 appearances for the North London side in the ongoing season. "Mohammed Kudus is doing well," he said. "I wish him well because he is someone who is coming up in the ranks, and people should watch out. Kudus is currently sidelined with an injury and is expected to be out until April, forcing him to miss Ghana’s friendly against Germany in March.

January 17, 2026 16:43 UTC

Sports News of Saturday, 17 January 2026Source: www.ghanaweb.comJulius Malema, the President of the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) has called on the South African Football Association (SAFA) to withdraw from the 2026 FIFA World Cup. According to Julius Malema, the Bafana Bafana cannot partake in the 2026 FIFA World Cup because of the United States of America's continuous disrespect of international laws. He maintained that South Africa will be supporting America's continuous disrespect of international laws if they don't withdraw the Bafana Bafana from the upcoming FIFA World Cup. The 2026 FIFA World Cup will be co-hosted by the United States of America, Canada and Mexico. “South Africa, Bafana Bafana must officially withdraw, SAFA must take a decision to withdraw from having anything to do with the World Cup that is taking place in America” EFF President Julius Malema“We must boycott the World Cup in America and boycott anything that has got to… pic.twitter.com/CR2zL6lJVj — News Live SA (@newslivesa) January 16, 2026JE

January 17, 2026 16:43 UTC

Politics of Saturday, 17 January 2026Source: www.ghanaweb.comThe campaign team of Kwabena Agyei Agyepong has announced a Policy Day event slated for Tuesday, January 20, 2026, as part of activities leading to the New Patriotic Party’s (NPP) presidential primary scheduled for January 31, 2026. The Policy Day, which comes just 11 days before the NPP’s internal elections, is expected to provide Agyepong the opportunity to outline his policy vision for the party and the country. The event will also feature a special address by Dr Lawrencia Agyepong, alongside a live media engagement and question-and-answer session. Commenting on the significance of the Policy Day, Kwabena Agyei Agyepong said it marks a defining moment in his campaign journey. The campaign team has encouraged media houses interested in covering the event to seek accreditation ahead of time.

January 17, 2026 16:27 UTC

Politics of Saturday, 17 January 2026Source: www.ghanaweb.comThe Minister of State in charge of Government Communications, Felix Kwakye Ofosu, has rejected claims that former finance minister Ken Ofori-Atta fears returning to Ghana to face accountability. During a panel discussion on Tv3's Keypoints on Saturday, January 16, 2026, Felix described such fears as “a contrived excuse” and a deliberate attempt to evade justice. don't want my people to be treated harshly by ICE - Ambassador Victor Smith tells US senator“Everything he has done here shows that he's been trying to evade justice. By himself or people close to him saying he would like to come but is afraid of how he will be treated does not cut it with me,” he said. Meanwhile, the United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) has detained Ofori Atta in relation to his stay in the country.

January 17, 2026 16:24 UTC

Sports News of Saturday, 17 January 2026Source: www.ghanaweb.comBibiani Gold Stars welcome giants Asante Kotoko on matchday 19 of the ongoing 2025/2026 Ghana Premier League season at the Duns Park. Gold Stars, currently second on the Ghana Premier League table with 32 points are going into the game on the back of a 1-0 away defeat to Bechem United on matchday 18. Despite losing on the road, Gold Stars will be counting on their impressive home form against Asante Kotoko as they are yet to lose a game at the Duns Park in their last 5 games. Asante Kotoko on the other hand have won only one game in their last five away games in the Ghana Premier League. They drew goalless against Samartex and lost to Swedru All Blacks, Hohoe United and Basake Holy Stars respectively.

January 17, 2026 15:32 UTC