The Birnin Gwari Emirate Progressives Union (BEPU) in Kaduna State has said the fragile peace achieved after government-backed negotiations with armed groups in 2024 is now under threat. The statement signed by BEPU Chairman, Dr Isah Muhammad, cited the killing of a former councillor of Gayam Ward, Hon. Auwal Magaji Kwaga, along the Birnin Gwari–Kwaga road as one of the incidents that has deeply shaken residents. The union recalled that the Kaduna State Government’s peace engagements with armed groups in 2024 brought remarkable stability that lasted through most of 2025. BEPU Chairman disclosed that a documentation exercise among affected farmers showed that no fewer than 173 farmers were impacted across multiple wards and settlements.

February 03, 2026 17:46 UTC

Chuck Negron, a founding member of Three Dog Night whose lead vocals powered hits including “Joy to the World,” “One” and “An Old-Fashioned Love Song,” has died at the age of 83. Negron died of complications from heart failure and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease at his home in the Studio City neighborhood, according to publicist Zach Farnum. Three Dog Night reunited in 1981, but Negron was dismissed in late 1985 due to recurring drug problems. Negron formed Three Dog Night in 1967 with Danny Hutton and Cory Wells, blending R&B, rock ’n’ roll and doo wop influences. Negron was previously married to Julia Negron and helped raise Oakley Jr. as an infant.

February 03, 2026 17:38 UTC

The Lagos State House of Assembly has ordered an immediate halt to the demolition of structures in Makoko and adjoining waterfront communities in the Yaba Local Government Area of the state. The directive followed a meeting with representatives of the affected communities held at the Lateef Jakande Auditorium in the Assembly Complex, Alausa, Ikeja. Adams said the House had resolved that all ministries and agencies responsible for the demolition in Makoko, Oko-Agbon and Shogunro communities should suspend the exercise until further notice. “All demolitions in Makoko and its waterfront communities should be stopped with immediate effect until further notice. However, the Lagos State Government had continued to defend the demolition, saying it was carried out to benefit residents of the waterfront communities.

February 03, 2026 17:38 UTC

Barely 24 hours after the Mohammed Abdulrahman-led Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) fixed March 28 as its national convention date, the camp on Tuesday reversed itself. The new dates were decided at a meeting of the Caretaker Committee of the camp, which is backed by Wike. The caretaker committee meeting was held at the Wuye office of the National Secretary of the camp, Senator Samuel Anyanwu. “The National Caretaker Working Committee will consult widely before the announcement of the National Convention Planning Committee. The Ibadan convention had produced the Tanimu Turaki-led National Working Committee (NWC) of the party.

February 03, 2026 17:38 UTC

The Lagos Waste Management Authority has seized several waste carts and arrested one individual during an early morning enforcement operation on Lagos Island, as the agency intensified its crackdown on illegal waste disposal. The operation followed targeted surveillance of unauthorised dumping activities in the area. According to a statement issued by the Lagos State Government on its official Facebook page on Tuesday, the carts were intercepted at Isale-Eko at dawn by LAWMA enforcement officers during a coordinated operation aimed at “disrupting unregulated waste movement and preventing the re-emergence of illegal dump points in locations already cleared by the Authority.”The statement added that an individual identified as Muritala Suleiman, a 42-year-old man from Zamfara State, was arrested at about 1:31 a.m. while allegedly dumping waste illegally at Tinubu Square, Lagos Island. LAWMA explained that early-hour surveillance remains crucial, noting that “illegal dumping activities are often carried out during periods of low visibility.”Reacting to the operation, the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of LAWMA, Dr. Muyiwa Gbadegesin, said sustained enforcement was key to protecting cleaned-up areas from renewed abuse. He said, “The sustained enforcement activities strengthen deterrence and protect stabilised sites from renewed abuse, as Waste Investigation, Surveillance and Enforcement operatives are strategically deployed across the state to eradicate persistent black spots and ensure sustainability along major corridors.”The authority urged residents to comply with approved waste disposal channels and support efforts to keep public spaces clean.

February 03, 2026 17:33 UTC





Experts, in a global analysis, have suggested that drinking water itself could be an overlooked source of salt and one that may quietly raise blood pressure for millions of people worldwide. They found that people exposed to higher salt concentrations in their drinking water had, on average, higher systolic and diastolic blood pressure than those exposed to lower salt concentrations in their drinking water. Specifically, systolic blood pressure was approximately 3.2 mm Hg higher, whereas diastolic blood pressure was nearly 2.8 mm Hg higher. Still, along coastlines, it most commonly occurs by saltwater intrusion into groundwater systems, which make up nearly half of the world’s drinking water supply. Taken together, these findings underscore the importance of looking beyond individual behaviours when addressing the risk of high blood pressure.

February 03, 2026 17:21 UTC

The Minister of State for Petroleum Resources (Oil), Senator Heineken Lokpobiri, has disclosed that Nigeria approved 28 new Field Development Plans (FDPs) valued at $18.2 billion, unlocking an estimated 1.4 billion barrels of crude oil reserves in 2025 alone. On continental outlook, Lokpobiri said Africa spent over 120 billion dollars annually on hydrocarbon imports, describing the figure as a significant drain on the continent’s economy. He called for greater support for the African Energy Bank, headquartered in Nigeria, to mobilise capital for Africa-focused energy development. The minister said international investor confidence had returned, citing major FIDs including Shell’s five billion dollars Bonga North project, TotalEnergies’ 550 million dollars Ubeta project, Shell’s two billion dollars HI project, and Chevron’s 1.8 billion dollars investment in the Panther project. He further revealed that Shell had announced plans for a 20 billion dollars FID, with additional projects expected in the near term.

February 03, 2026 17:18 UTC

The company said it has appointed Enrique Lores as its new president and chief executive officer, replacing Alex Chriss, as the board pushes for faster execution in an increasingly competitive payments market. According to a statement released Tuesday, Lores will assume the role on March 1. He has been a member of PayPal’s board for nearly five years and has served as board chair since July 2024. PayPal’s Chief Financial and Operating Officer, Jamie Miller, will act as interim CEO until Lores officially takes over. The company thanked Chriss for his contributions, including efforts to monetise Venmo and expand buy now, pay later services.

February 03, 2026 17:07 UTC

The Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lt Gen Waidi Shaibu, on Tuesday reaffirmed the unwavering commitment of the Nigerian Army to a dynamic, intelligence-driven and technology-enabled approach in confronting asymmetric threats to Nigeria’s national security. “This approach integrates decisive kinetic action with intelligence fusion, inter-agency cooperation, joint operations with sister services and sustained international partnerships. Our response must therefore be equally adaptive, proactive, intelligence-led and collaborative, leveraging military power alongside technology, whole-of-government coordination and strategic partnerships.”The Army Chief explained that across Nigeria’s geo-political zones, Nigerian Army operations have been deliberately tailored to prevailing threat dynamics. In the North-East, sustained counter-insurgency operations have continued to degrade terrorist capabilities through a combination of offensive manoeuvres, intelligence-driven strikes and population-centric stabilisation efforts. He stressed that contemporary national security transcends territorial defence to encompass economic security, cyber resilience, environmental stability and human security.

February 03, 2026 17:03 UTC

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has reaffirmed the Federal Government’s commitment to supporting Ondo State’s development through infrastructure improvement, enhanced security and economic empowerment, as the state marked its 50th anniversary. Tinubu also emphasised the Federal Government’s commitment to improving infrastructure and strengthening security across the state, describing peace and stability as critical foundations for sustainable development and investment. Your energy, innovation, education and commitment to service are vital to sustaining development and strengthening our democracy. The state governor, Lucky Aiyedatiwa, also reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to people-centred and sustainable development as the state marked its Golden Jubilee, 50 years after its creation. Traditional and cultural leaders included the Chairman of the Ondo State Council of Obas, Oba Ajibade Gbadegesin Ogunoye, and the Deji of Akure, Oba Aladetoyinbo Ogunlade Aladelusi, alongside other monarchs.

February 03, 2026 17:00 UTC

The Federal Operations Unit Zone ‘A’ of the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) on Tuesday said it had arrested eight suspected smugglers with hard drugs, petroleum products and other contraband valued at over N3.319 billion. Other notable seizures during the period under review include four live pangolins intercepted along the waterways of Alapa Creek, Ajilete. Aliyu urged perpetrators of illicit trade to be patriotic enough to change their ways and embrace legitimate trade or face the consequences of their actions, stressing that the resolve of the Nigeria Customs Service remained firm. The controller handed over the seized drugs to the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) for further investigation and prosecution. He said that between December 10, 2025, and the present, a total of N36.9 million had been recovered.

February 03, 2026 17:00 UTC

The Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFund) has commenced the construction of the Abuja Leadership Centre of Excellence in Public Governance at the University of Abuja. He expressed optimism that the Abuja Leadership Centre would evolve into a world-class facility capable of producing leaders to serve all sectors of the economy, while also hosting globally renowned speeches, conventions and declarations. Fawehinmi said the Abuja Leadership Centre would serve as a centre of excellence for public governance and leadership, positioned as a national hub for training future leaders who would play key roles in policy formulation and national development. He expressed confidence that TETFund would ensure the timely completion and proper furnishing of the Abuja Leadership Centre so it could be effectively utilised to achieve its objectives. “Today, we further cement our long-standing relationship, and we are happy to say that this Abuja Leadership Centre is a centre of excellence for public governance and leadership.

February 03, 2026 16:18 UTC

A United States federal judge has blocked the Donald Trump-led administration from ending legal protections for more than 350,000 Haitians living in the United States, a move that would have exposed them to possible deportation to a country plagued by gang violence. US District Judge Ana Reyes in Washington, DC, on Monday halted the Department of Homeland Security’s attempt to terminate Haiti’s Temporary Protected Status (TPS). Temporary Protected Status is granted to nationals of countries experiencing armed conflict, natural disasters or other extraordinary conditions. Temporary means temporary and the final word will not be from an activist judge legislating from the bench,” she said. In November, the administration again sought to end Haiti’s TPS designation, arguing there were “no extraordinary and temporary conditions” preventing return.

February 03, 2026 15:48 UTC

Residents of the Akurmi community in the Lere Local Government Area of Kaduna State have raised the alarm over sustained killings and kidnappings by bandits. Maigamo said the attacks were systematic and widespread, affecting several communities within Lere Local Government Area and neighbouring councils. “The killing of Malam Auwal has deeply shaken the Birnin Gwari community,” the union said, describing the incident as part of recurring cases of killings, robberies and theft across the area. When contacted, the Kaduna State Police Command’s Public Relations Officer, DSP Mansir Hassan, said he would reach out to the affected communities and respond accordingly. This came after 80 worshippers who escaped abduction during a bandit attack on the Kurmin Wali community in Kajuru Local Government Area of Kaduna State returned to their homes.

February 03, 2026 15:21 UTC

The Executive Chairman of Onigbongbo Local Council Development Area (LCDA), Hon. Moyosore Adebanjo, has declared free meals for staff of the Council. The Chairman made this known at the commissioning of the newly renovated Staff Canteen at the council secretariat. Moyosore said the commissioning marked another step towards improving the well-being and productivity of council staff. Adebanjo said the approved free meals will be for the next two days, commencing immediately after the commissioning.

February 03, 2026 15:20 UTC